Lab travails

, , 43 comments
It was the day of the class X biology board practical exam. The last ever biology-related experiment I had to do was nearing. I was delighted – biology and I never really went together.
I had broken innumerable number of cover slips (isn’t that what they’re called? I’m confused!!), test tubes, dropped drops of the pink reagent on my classmates’ white, white kurtas, etc. I was never successful in placing the cover slip on the mounting without air bubbles. Best was the whole hungama with the dissection needles – losing them every other practical class. All this was coming to a close!
Our biology teacher had been kind enough to give us the food constituents test’s chemicals before the exam – we knew the combinations that were possible.


After the exam started, things did go quite smoothly – I even managed to put the cover slip on the slide successfully with just a couple of bubbles.
It was when the testing for food constituents that my woes began. I was convinced that one of my reagents was starch – God only knows how and why I had that idea. The rest of the ‘foods’ tested positively, properly; starch was the only one giving trouble. No matter how much Iodine I poured into the test tube, it never turned violet.
People were finishing their exam and getting out. I was getting tensed. For all the desperation I had to finish the practical and enjoy my minutes of to-be-found-soon freedom from Biology practical, I was getting negative reactions with my damned starch. As more people slowly started trickling out, I decided to use the last ‘lifeline’ to save myself: the lab attendant.

‘Akka!’ I called, in a tone that would have convinced her I would burst out crying any minute. This was enough to make her hurry and come.
‘Iodine work aagamatengudhu, akka!’ I said. Iodine’s not working!
‘How do you know for sure that I have given you starch, ma?’ she asked.
I was perplexed. I had no rationale for such a belief. Gut feeling.
‘Thonicchu, akka’ I said.
She smiled and looked at the numbers she had written in her left hand. Combinations, I knew.
‘39, unakku starch vechurken, correct daan’ she said, much to my relief. Yes, I have kept starch solution for you.
That meant I wasn’t wrong – the starch solution was just refusing to co-operate with me. Akka offered to help too. She took my solution and poured a generous helping of Iodine into it.

Pale, colourless. Just as it had been before.
She eventually emptied the whole starch solution trying to make it work with Iodine. I felt a knot sinking into my stomach. The Biology teacher, who I think never liked me that much, was giving me one of her glares. I was irritated so much, that I gave her one of mine back.
Things now really seemed to be slipping away. Akka was also staring at me helplessly. No more starch solution, she said.
I then looked at number 40’s table, my best friend’s table. She had left ten minutes after throwing me some quizzical ‘what are you still doing’ looks. Neat girl that she was, all her test tubes were neatly stacked in the rack, each showing the test’s results.
My idea bulb lit up brightly (yeah, finally it worked!!).
Just a small enquiry from the akka was enough.

‘Ma’am, this is the test for Proteins, this for fats, and … this for starch,’ I said, showing my rack.
She lifted the test tube containing the starch solution that had turned violet.
‘Hmm, correct... You may leave,’ she said. Those words were enough to transport me to the heaven on earth, if there is one.
I gave akka one of my most generous smiles ever. Lab akkas, our ever helpful friends. Our partners in crime, too.
And yeah, you would’ve guessed by now that my friend 40 had a perfectly violet result for her starch solution test.
God bless: this is my 100th post!!

43 comments:

Harish said...

andha lab attendant akka ku aparam treat kuduthiya?

kudukalainaalum paravala, ippo 100th post kaaga enakku kudu! :D

Vani Viswanathan said...

adaane paathen...ennada ivalo neram aachu kekaliyennu!!

Divya said...

well written....!!when i was in class x(2000) i dint have all these exps in bio..our exps were pretty simple..neway cleverly managed..good good..
and congrats on ur 100th post:)

Chakra said...

I too thot that my bio woes wd be coming to an end in Class X. But it was not to be... :((

Lab Akkas & Annas are saviours for girls.. but villains & villies for boys..

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

Hey congrats for your century...me have not yet read ur post :) will drop in some time laterz....... for now take the congrats...... i hope we your readers organize a function and give u a mega treat commemorating the 100th post :p

(chummma ellarum treat ketkarangale..vithiysama ethuna sollanumnu...... :D ....... )

Asha said...

Hey back then, we didn't have akka(s)... only aunties.

Ps: Congrats on your 100th post. When are you treating me to ice-cream? Clementi so near.. I can always drop by :P

Vani Viswanathan said...

draj,
>>>but dont wanna disclose it and be termmed nutty
hehe, you run the risk either way! ;)

divya.b,
thanks!! and lucky you, sigh!! :P

Vani Viswanathan said...

chakra,
yaen, 11th-la bio eduthuteengala? :O

rsubras,
habba, for a change, neenga treat tharradhaa sonnenga, good good...eppo sollunga, time-ku vandudaren! :)

thewoman,
haiz...clementi is at least six stops away! but if you don't mind the travel, no problem! :) welcome anytime!

Kausikram Krishnasayee said...

hehe u r telling me, i wrote in bold letters FERRIC and the attender told me tht in was FERROUS, but got my 25 anyway...

Ramya Shankar said...

Yaaaay for ur century!! Enakkum treat venum!! Bio kku oru Booooo

neighbour said...

.. Practical labs -- pala experience ingayum...

Hats of for century.. india criketers century adikalae naalum neenga adichuteenga...

Aravind said...

Ahhh... nostalgia!!!!
En XII std. chemistry lab exams la ipdi thaan.. the lab attendant had many test tubes with all results... yarukkavadhu seriyaa varala na, u jus have to call for help and the test tube was swapped !!! :D

And.. congrats for century!!! :D

Anonymous said...

hmmm ... cheating in ur biology practical .... not really a subject i could sink my teeth into and offer witty yet profound remarks .... why couldn't u been talkin about something more intresting like human reproduction or something risque like tat .. isn't tat also part of the biology curriculum .... *grin* ...

by the way congrats on ur 100th post ... i barely have a dozen posts on my blog but then again i dun possess a vivid imagination like urs .... ;p ... maybe i should treat u to a cuppa coffee and a big slice of cheese-cake at the local starbucks since u sorta mentioned in one of ur earlier posts as to how much u "enjoyed" it the last time .... *wink*

(p.s. sooo any chance i would be invited to ur treat giving session ?? i promise to put on my best behaviour .... )

~phobiac~ said...

100 !...Bat-a pavilion side lift pannu ! congrats !

Vijay Ramamurthi said...

interesting ...i have never done labs like these :)

brute said...

hmm.. congrats for ur century post, i hate chem & bio labs

Unknown said...

I am so proud of myself. Treatunnu satham kaettadhum, me here immediately :) Congratulations

Anonymous said...

Hi…I’m Roy, just start the journey in the blog-world. New..... so learning the tricks by peeping in others blog without any prior permission (sorry for that!!).

you have very interesting template..very unique..

Heii, why not take a look to my blog: (http://comeonroy.blogspot.com/) & tell me where I need to improve. Most important, maybe you can also get something new & interesting stuff…..maybe!!
Hoping to hear you..
Roy

Jagan said...

never was keen abt bio ..but the whole class was atentive for that "particular" chatper :-)

Vani Viswanathan said...

mark,
they better give us 25, for the good students that we are!! ;)

ramya,
kandippa, seekramavey tharen....unnoda result treat-um pending, rem? :P

Vani Viswanathan said...

neighbour,
Indians daan Pakistan-la super-a play panrangale!! And hey, thanks! :)

aravind,
hehe, lab attenders illana most of them couldn't have passed some exams! ;)
Hats off to them! :)
And thanks!

Vani Viswanathan said...

D,
@@offer witty yet profound remarks
Ahem, ahem!!
You have a blog?!?!Maybe it's time you give me the url?
A treat in Starbucks:
I hate coffee.
And you seem to know about my affinity for cheese cakes.
Bad choice! :P
I'll definitely call you in when I give the treat!!

phobiac,
Bat illa! So champagne-oda celebrate panniten! :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

vijay r,
interesting? ugh, you don't know what happened to my class XII chem board pracs...maybe i can reserve that for a later post! :P

Brute,
Thank you!

Vani Viswanathan said...

WA,
neengalum Harish-um adey jaadhi daanaa! :)

Roy,
Hi, shall surely drop by your blog. Welcome to Blogsville!! :)

Jagan,
Aagaaa!!!

Anonymous said...

//You have a blog?!?!Maybe it's time you give me the url?

well my writing isn't up to scratch yet ... in fact, it's mostly nonsensical babble .... *grin* ... dun think u would find it any good ....

soooo about the treat .... u mean u actually mean it and not juz paying lip-service like all my frens (myself included also ... *grin* ) .... i can almost taste the oreo cheese-cake .... *drooling*

//Bat illa! So champagne-oda celebrate panniten! :)

so when did u start ur thanni adikara habit .... only champagne or do u also go for pattai sarayam ... *grin* ,... and here i was thinking wat a sweet, innocent lil gal u are ...

Anonymous said...

//but the whole class was atentive for that "particular" chatper :-)

still remember how my teacher managed to come up with a horrendous sketch on the whiteboard .... it was supposed to be the female reproductive organ but when it was finished it looked like the logo of the chicago bulls ... *grin*

Sathish said...

:)... We are too many people in this world... :)

Shriedhar said...

:))

Congaats 4 the century :)

Anonymous said...

aaga!! enna nee, iavlo kedi velai ellam senjiruka??..anyways, congrats on ur 100 th post.. n yeah! TREAT!!! :D

tris said...

girijeswari maam?

The Talkative Man said...

Board Examla thiruttuthanam panradhuku definite-ah Mega Dhill venum :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

D,
Hmm...good excuse, eh?
And about the treat, don't build castles in the air! ;)
>>>and here i was thinking wat a sweet, innocent lil gal u are
not my fault, really!!

sathish,
You bet! :P

Vani Viswanathan said...

shreedhar,
Thank you!! :)

fun2fun,
wogay, done! ;)
btw, idenna kedi velai...naa kandupidichadhu correct, starch solution work pannala, what to do?! :P

Vani Viswanathan said...

tilo,
uh, oh!! :-S
Yes!! (secret, ok?) :)

the talkative man,
um...dhil ok, but i had no other choice ;)
You an RK Narayan fan by any chance? :)

Anonymous said...

nice post, as always :)

Brought back my school memories.

Sriram said...

kangaroolations on the century.

The Talkative Man said...

Hope it wasnt the 1st lab experiment of the academic year :)

My 1st post explains it - will post more on RKN in future.
http://thetalkativeman.blogspot.com/2005_12_01_thetalkativeman_archive.html

Vani Viswanathan said...

prasad,
Thanks!! :)

ricky,
Thank you! :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

sriram,
Thanku! :)

the talkative man,
Wow...you have the entire collection?! So did I.. or my dad, rather...many got lost! :(
I have a few more of RK Narayan's books left....trying hard to get them so I can finish reading everything he's written! Isn't he one of the most brilliant authors ever? :)

The Talkative Man said...

Definitely is, and a great person too. Very stable at heart. 60 years as a widower!
Great artists make their work look simple and RKN has this ability to narrate the most simplest situations in a realistic style. No complex plots. Merely the effect of his description.
The one thing I disliked was that he was a horrible sadist and it is seen in his writings - 98% of his writings have the good guy being bashed and evil triumphing all through. Strong eg is 'Waiting for the Mahatma' - I'm really sorry for the spoiler but the novel has 150+ pages of an orphan lad in the freedom struggle who likes a girl working with Gandhi. Last page, they go to him for consent but he asks them to wait for an hour, goes out for prayer and is killed!
Cynical and sick guy. Good writer, bad stories.
(RKN's company Golden Thought Publications which publish his books keeps hiking the price every year. If you look around in Luz Corner or Gosha Hospital in Tripli, you have a good chance of grabbing his older works for mouthwatering prices)

Vani Viswanathan said...

TM,
Sadist, yes....but i'd like them in a way that he doesn't just give happy ending stories....I've read Waiting for the Mahatma....brilliant story! But yeah, guess the sadism comes partly because of the various downs in his life..he definitely doesn't seem to have been an optimistic guy!! :)

The Talkative Man said...

some bullies were enjoyable like Vasu(MEOM) and Gopu(TWON). MEOM and TWON were the most riotous novels apart from SAF. Nagaraj's musings after being scolded were hilarious :)

His real punch was in the dialogues:
Rajam:Are you a man?
Mani:Which dog doubts it?

Nagaraj: Krishnaji is my nephew but we all call him Tim
Gopu: It sounds like the name of a wandering cat.

Anonymous said...

Namma lb-la panna koothu ellam ipdi oru post-la epdi surukkina??? KD di nee... :D