The crisp note

, , 11 comments
(Piece of fiction written when I was almost dying in absolute boredom, sort of in stealth, when I was supposed to be doing something else. ;) Talk about defying rules of organizations!)

I touched the note. It was new, crisp, and unlike the older ones, soft. The $2 note was a work of art, really. A transparent portion in the corner, so soft and slippery, the crispness by virtue of it being new. I laughed at myself for getting lost in admiration for a $2 note.
The new Singaporean $2 note was good, though. Its softness was what I admired the most. And today was the first time I actually managed to get one in my hand.
It was only when I was staring at the note that I remembered I had to give my friend $2 for the food she bought for me. : ) I went, note in hand, briskly walking to her room. I trampled on wet grass, another of my favourites, for its softness.
“Ha!” I laughed today, for the note in my hand was softer. Equally fresh, and I can say, ‘green’. Slippery.
I stroked the note again, for the umpteenth time ever since it got into my hand. It would’ve made more sense for me to keep the note with myself, but I knew I’d spend it someday. Let it be today, I thought.
The note fell out of my hand as I was stroking it. I ran behind it, and the note sped ahead, determined not to get into my hand. Playing truant. Eluding me. I ran with more desperation as it neared the grilled cover of a small drain.
And it happened.
It got caught on the grill, and right when I was about to grab it, it went in. Rather, it slid into the drain.
I looked at it go inside and get lost.
Slippery, the word came back to me.

11 comments:

Harish said...

butter-fingers!!
adha enkitta kuduthurundha edhavadhu vaangi saapturupen!

neighbour said...

$2ku ivalavu buildupa... Jay Jay pada kadhi maathiri sollareeenga...

any way pathunga neega partha note kaala nota irukaa poguthu .. yeennaaa "fake is very much attractive that real..."

kuttichuvaru said...

hmm..... ithu thaan kaasu kai nazhuvi porathu nnu solluvaangalaa??

Aravind said...

andha note epdi avandhuchu... nermaiya sambadhikkaadha panam dhaan nikkadhu nu solluvanga LOL ;)

Ramya Shankar said...

Note a maathitaangala? Engendha surutina note a?

Kausikram Krishnasayee said...

adi paavi adi paavi, kadaikey ivalav buildpa ? paravailla suda suda kalla note venumna solu original oda supera print panni tara solaren .....

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish,
hehe, epidyum andha paisa-va vechu naan saptachu...apram enna? ;)

neighbour,
haan, build-up kuduthapram kadaisila padicheenga illa, adhukku daan...life-la ella build-up kum eppovume edha interesting-a nadakanuma!? :P
kalla note illa pa, government pudusa introduce panna note daan...

Vani Viswanathan said...

kuttichuvaru,
romba ul artham yosichuteenga, hmm..apdiyum vechukalaam..indirect message...selvam = selvom! :)

aravind,
naanavadhu kaasa nazhuva vidardhavadhu....kadhai padi anikki theriyama wallet-la podama eduthundu poiten! ;)

Vani Viswanathan said...

ramya,
legal tender!! ;)

mark,
adapavi!! padikardhuku side business-a kalla note adikaraiya?! poraadhunnu enkitta vera kekariye...
That's not a kalla note! Some Singaporean please come to my rescue!!! :|
Naa romba good girl, kalla note ellam vechuka maaten! ;)

Asha said...

Okay, guess what I did, I actually felt the new $2 note before replying.. haha..

Inspiration from a $2 note huh? Nice one.

Vani Viswanathan said...

d raj,
Yayy, I have company!! :)

the woman,
Anything stupid is an inspiration for me, sigh!