Hazards of a bus journey

, , 26 comments
Hah! A month long internship finally over. And more than the pain of sitting in the air-conditioned room of the office, was the pain of travelling to and fro by bus. Whoa! Plain torture, that’s what it was.

Half of my school years I’ve returned home from school by bus. It had never been such a pain. Now, suddenly, every bit of torture seems to have elevated itself to a higher degree, with the aim of draining me of my energy completely.

These bus journeys have given my character shades of grey! I’ve been such a mean girl, I can’t believe it’s actually me.

First, a brainless crowd. Why the hell would I be standing near the footsteps of the bus if I were not going to get down? Every soul who is to get down in my stop asks this dumb question; or okay, to be fair, most of the brainless beings. “Yeranga poreengla?” And I would give this furious stare or pretend not to have heard them at all. This, somehow, vents my anger and I’m cooled down by the time I get down and start walking.

Second, idiotic men. No offence to this sex, but some of you can get so horrifyingly irritating. And don’t blame me if I stamp your foot hard! This seems to work really well, and all trouble quite gets out of the way. :P

Even conductors can be a huge problem! There was once this time when I got into a bus and did not know if would stop at my bus stop. “------- poguma?” (Does the bus go to ------?) No answer. Repeat six to seven times. Absolutely deaf as a post, I thought. Who the hell gave him this job?? Finally this man got the sense to look at me. And then he says, “Naanum appolerndhu paakaren, oru mariyadhai-ye illama pesitrukeenga!” (I’m watching from that time, you don’t seem to be giving me any respect!) I was non-plussed. I turned to see whom he was talking to. “Ungladhaan”, he said. Me?? Heck! What lack of respect was there in my tone?

Me: “Ennanga sollreenga?”
C: “Yenga nalla pant shirt-lan pottu dress pannirkeenga, konjam kooda mariyadha theriyadhavangalaa irukeengley?”
Me: (thinking) “Dei, matter-ku vaada!” (Things were becoming like dialogues in daily soaps. I made my contribution too). (to C) “Konjam puriyaraa maari solungalen?”
C: “Yen maa, conductor kitta edha kekarche ‘Sir’, illa ‘Conductor’, illa ‘Iyya’ apdinu solli kekanum…nee onnum mariyadhaiye illama pesariye!”
Ayyo..okay, translation!
(Me: what are you saying?
C: you’re nicely dressed in pant shirt etc. but you don’t seem to be giving me any
respect!
Me: Can you clarify? :P
C: When you ask a conductor something you must say “sir” or “conductor”…you are
talking to me without any respect!)
Whew, translation done. If any of you don’t know tamil, you owe me special thanks! :)
I felt like throwing anything at hand at him.
Me: Cha, idhukku thaan ivalo pesarengla! Seri, conductor sir, ------- poguma? (oh, you made a big fuss for this? Ok, conductor sir, does the bus go to -----?)
C: Haan, ipdi thaan kekanum. (Yes, this is how you should ask.)
By this time, more than half the distance had been covered. And guess what, the bus wouldn’t stop at -------. I got down at the next stop and walked that freaking distance.

All said and done, though, bus journeys are fun too. Women discussing topics ranging from the weather to kids they have, with people they’ve never even met before, women irritated beyond life who just pounce and scold you (this is funny because I shamelessly laugh when such people scold me!) and all the fuss made while people get in and get out, could actually offer a nice treat to watch. All this, that is, if you don’t mind the crowd. At least I don’t, now.

So those of you who travel by bus now say “Conductor sir!”
Sir, yes, sir!

26 comments:

Art said...

haha... ur conversation with the conductor.... too good...
Sometimes the journey becomes damn irritating.. But its fun to listen to the gossip ppl do...
Once i had to get down from the bus... as i had pointed out the conductor's mistake....
My mom was totally shocked when she came to know that i did such a thing... Hey got a topic for one of my posts :)

Vivhyd said...

Haha funny one!! Reminds me of the numerous bus trips I took in Chennai while I was there!!

Mylapore to Thiruvanmiyur aka 1 bus was my most frequent one!!

I sought of like bus journeys.. even thgh I have been in buses where another person and the bus would just tip over.. still it was fun

As u said .. all chattering gng on.. I would be listening to all.. sometimes contributing.. voor vambh.. chanceae illae..

Conductors in chennai... some are good.. some real idiots... I hate it when they never budge frm their seats... u c in Hyd where I come frm.. conductors are on the move.. u don't have to go to them...

Anonymous said...

okie... so now i hafta stay away from buses..... coz inside the buses there r gals with high heels ready to puncture my feet.... my dad doesnt understand these problems and the demand for a bike has to intensify.....

and yeah, the conductors r always like that..... they want themselves to be considered as the owner of the MTC rather than what they r..... once a conductor forced me to buy tickets though i had a bus pass..... funny creatures!!!!

Juvenile Delinquent said...

Oh, so you've blogged about a bus journey too? Nice... My last post was something like this... Luckily for me, I have a bike now! Whooppee! No more bus journeys!

Kaps said...

Tell the Conductor -

Idhu Ungal Soththu (Vadivel joke)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Your story is quite hilarious!
I remember in the seventies students and especially those from medical colleges used to taunt the Madras bus conductors; no wonder it is in the genes of a today conductor to ask for his due

saranyan r said...

enga oorla (coimbatore) ladies occupy the front portion only. they use the front footboard. enakku therinju conductor was the only "guy" in that part :)

I too love those chit chat with strangers :)

Ram said...

funny alright...but i am sure they deserve an adjective....using "conductor" does no harm, i guess...

"xyz la nikkumaanga" would have sufficed...

Vani Viswanathan said...

art,
haha...thanks.whatt??you had to get down because you pointed out the conductor's mistake?? hah, egoists, eh?
archstorm,
yeah..there! lesson learnt!and as for deo, everyone who travels by bus needs tons of it!

Vani Viswanathan said...

vivhyd,
if conductors move around in chennai's buses like that, they'll mostly be trampled over! so i guess they're not willing to take that risk! :P
a,
high heels ain't necessary; even hawaii chappals enough to cause needed impact! ;)
you bought a ticket when you had a bus pass?? funny creature you are!

Vani Viswanathan said...

deepak,
unakku IITM kulla sutharthuku bike-aa? cha, i walk around my campus everyday!
kaps,
enakku andha joke theriyadhey...wotsit?
pardeshi,
ohhh so it's all because of what the med students used to do in the 70s? cha...because of those guys i'm getting such lectures from bus conductors!

Unknown said...

Vani,
Andha conductor unna poattu anyayathukku kalaasi irukaan, perumaiya blog pannariye nee adha pathi...manasula Thamizhan Vijay-nu nenappa?! :D

And steps pakkathula ninna namma oorla eranganum-nu avasiyamey illa! Kaathu vaanga kooda nipaanga! :)

Court-la case podu di nee...naan witness-a irukkaen...oru kai paarthuduvom :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

saranyan,
i've been in cbe buses too! they'll have a bell kinda thing with ropes (hope you get the picture?) which they ring for the bus to start! i loved that arrangement and missed it when we moved to chennai...
minimal ego,
quite true...they should be called conductor...but this guy gave tickets for all those who just said *whatever* but refused to answer my question! hmm...guess he had a bad day!
and yeah, point noted! :)

Harish said...

Sir? iyya? aasai yaara vittudhu! :)

Indian-la Koundamani solra maadhiri "seringa aapeesar"-nu soleerukanam. He'd have realised how silly he'd been!

Vani Viswanathan said...

dei praveen,
unna witness-a vecchu naan case vera podanumaa? kizhinjudhu po!!andha conductor ennavo solitu potum, naan yaaraiyum sir iyya-nu laan koopdaporthu illa! verum conductor podhum!
harish,
romba nalla idea...next time yaara trouble pannina use panikaren! :P

Vani Viswanathan said...

and praveen,
naan Thamizhan pathathu illa!

~phobiac~ said...

ah...chennai bus-a !!.....once upon a time...loooooong long ago...not so long ago....naanum bus traveller thaan....once when i was in college...some 2 yrs back...chennai 45B -la same situation...whistle: yennapa.....college pasangana mariyaatha kodukkamaateengala?....

Me and my friends:.....in chorus... seringa AKKA !!...

athooda vaaya moodinavan thaan...ticket keka kooda vaaya thorakkala.... !!

huhuhaahaahaaa...villan laugh !!

Anonymous said...

funny creature!!!!! me????

what would u do if u r almost late to school and the conductor demands u to buy a ticket jus bcoz u didnt stop at the entrance to show him the pass.... he took the bus pass and threatened to throw it out.... now what would u have done?????

and hawaii la midicha valikkadha.... coz i always wear a pair of shoes to coll..... so only high heels can make some impact.... but y would anyone yearn to stamp me unless it is u ;-)

Sriram said...

Oiii vaalu! Conductor-a yen torture panre? Paavam,, "poor" government employees never hassle people. only we people always hassle them, be it at the passport office or in a bus. :D

Kay said...

ennama conductor kalasitaan pola...
Naan entha ooor singapoor appadi nu solli scene pottu irunthenaaa elunthu unaku antha conductor seat koduthu irupaaan :)

Anu said...

ennadi vani..s'pore lendhu vandhadhu dhaan vandha..namma ooru bus la amakkalam panrayaa?indha vishayam ellam phone panna solradhu illaya? Dog..

madhavan said...

Nice post!

It has been years since i last put my foot on a chennai bus. May be i should do this now for two things: to have weird experiences and to meet people like u! haaa!

Anonymous said...

my first exp in chennai.

me: entha bus anna nagar poguma.
conductor : guindy pogum.

( I donno any place in chennai.)
again i asked

me: entha bus anna nagar poguma.
con : guindy pogum.

( I think. okai this bus wont go to anna nagar)


next bus:

me: entha bus anna nagar poguma.
con : ambathur porathu.
..

me: entha bus anna nagar poguma.
con : ambathur porathu.

..

? (one guy standing in Bus said: entha bus anna nagar pogum)

God only knows there language.

-lok

Vivhyd said...

Vani.. staying with the music thing.. Back..boys are out with their new album.. "Never Gone".. they r actually gonna perform close to my place .. aug le.. may go.. if u haven't.. heard one song "Incomplete" .. thts good ..

Vani Viswanathan said...

sriram,
vaala?? wogay! he only "hassled" me, naan chamathaa thaan irundhen! :P
phobiac,
new technique no. 2. will be implemented soon if need arises!
a,
ohh shoes poattu escape aitiyaa...ok, so why would i yearn to stamp you if you came properly by bus?? ;)
anu,
i thot i told you ya....manichukko! btw, idhenna amakalam? avanga paduthina naanum paduthuven!

Vani Viswanathan said...

madhavan,
hey! bus journeys are things you should never miss. next time don't drive, take a bus! and that too one that's crowded, to feel the full effect!
lok,
very sad experience....probably the conductor thought you know that buses that go to ambattur go thro anna nagar....but i can imagine your reactions, and they are funny! :)
vivhyd,
yeah, i heard incomplete, and boy, haven't the guys changed! it took me some time to recognise it's bsb....except for kevin and bryan i couldn't recognise anyone...and best part, till the end, i couldn't really identify nick! lol