The doll house

, , 42 comments
"Vidu, can you come here?" yelled mom from the kitchen.
It was 8 in the morning. I was sitting on the floor in my room, newspaper spread out, sipping warm Milo. The MetroPlus section had something about Madhavan and I wanted to read it at the earliest.
I got up and went to the room where she was.

"I have to get that carton down. The dolls are in the carton," she said.
"Hmm.." I nodded. The day after was the Navarathri festival. My mind was busy thinking of all the work that I would have to do for the festival: dusting the dolls, fixing the broken ones, and worst of all, make the field for the 'cricketers' to play. Those 'cricketers' dolls were actually pretty awful looking. They didn't look like they were wearing pants: "Veshti kattindu vilayadranga paaru," Dad often used to joke.

I got a chair and pulled the carton out of the loft. Dad had got the other ones out. As I put it down with great difficulty, I saw another familiar, old, purple bag. Wondering what it was, thinking where I had seen it before, I pulled it out.
"Ayyo, Vidu, don't take that out now! It'll be difficult putting it back in..." groaned amma.
"I have to see what it is, ma..." I said, pulling it out.
Mom took the carton and left the room. I took the purple bag and went to my room.
It had accumulated a lot of dust. After dusting for two minutes and a sneezing fit lasting for ten minutes, I opened the bag. I gasped.

It had my entire Barbie set: two Barbies, a Ken (Barbie's ex-boyfriend!), a Skipper (Barbie's sister) and two babies (don't really know how they are related to Barbie!), and a whole dismantled doll house.
I quickly assembled it, forgetting the tough code I was working on for my work the next day. I was getting as excited as I had been when I had first got a Barbie. The kitchen was looking cute as ever. I remembered how I had always wanted to build a kitchen like this in my home. And looking at it now, I realized that I had, after all, built the kitchen in my home now, somewhat similarly.
I soon started placing 'dishes' in the microwave oven and tried to make 'pancakes' in the stove, all the while smiling to myself.

After making my dolls eat, I ran up to the kitchen and gave my mom a plate of 'food'.
Mom was shell shocked seeing what I was doing.
"Vidu, unakku enna di aachu?" she asked in a very concerned tone.
"Ma, I'm playing with my dolls!" I answered and pranced about the kitchen singing a Barbie song.
Mom was almost convinced I was mad.

I ran back to my room. It was then that the computer screen caught my eye. The debugger was showing a shocking 300 errors for a few hundred lines of code.
I quickly pulled a chair and got down to checking the code again. Four hours later, I was tired to every muscle, trying to rectify the horrible code. I stretched and looked around the room.

My eyes fell on the playhouse I had assembled. I smiled, thinking of the 25 minutes of joy those dolls had given me. I made some space on my work table and put the dolls there, and took the 'dish' out of the microwave.
In another five minutes, I was all set to look through my code again.

42 comments:

Ramya Shankar said...

I never got to play with Barbies or other girly toys. So much for being born in a family where I'm the only girl!!!

awakeningcoma said...

jus stopped by, playing with dolls
nice experience ,mes too have lot of experience of the vivid imaginative time passe i used to hav in my kiddy days. how could i forget those times the only times i had lots of gal frnds.hmmmm

Harish said...

dolls....hmmmm....
i loved trying Ventriloquism with the empty dolls..it was such fun doing it...and Vani...u r correct...
Sometimes such small joys overcome our bigger tensions and worries...
Ippave code la errora???Seekiram manager aaga poreenga.....

Harish said...

a hard sneeze might have blown a loose nut right out off the head!

and LOL! I expected u to reply "paavi", and I looked down at the word verification code : pahvy

eerie! :D

Harish said...

BRILLIANT!! :))
Now it says : BUGOF

Vani Viswanathan said...

ramya,
hehe..for all that i've written, i had a skipper only when i was 10 years old! and my cousin broke out!! :(

awakeningcoma,
thanks for dropping by!
yes, can never forget those times!

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish,
lol, enakkum code writing-kum sammandamey illa! en vazhi thani vazhi!!

magix,
:)
i shall pardon you..pozhaichu po!!

Vijay Ramamurthi said...

athaane paathen...ennada neenga code ellam ezhuthareenga nu....good one :0

Sriram said...

Barbie dolls and a code.. Scary combination!! :D

யாத்à®°ீகன் said...

>>I soon started placing 'dishes' in >>the microwave oven and tried to >>make 'pancakes' in the stove, all >>the while smiling to myself.

good one,.. could imagine how happy it would have been that moment :-)

hm.. enoda HotWheels collection niyabagam vanthuchu.. i guess my mom should have kept it somewhere !!!

~phobiac~ said...

Baaarbee-ya ?....

I still hold the record for breakin the most number of BAR-be dolls....so....careful !

cars...guns...robber and police...ithellam play pannathe illaya ?

Vani Viswanathan said...

vijay r,
cha! rendu varsham school la c++ code ezhudirken pa! doesn't that count?

sriram,
:) what's so scary? ultimately i got down to the code coz of the dolls (apparently!) ;)

Vani Viswanathan said...

yathrigan,
i can't make pancakes in real life! :P all the more reason for me to enjoy while making them in my doll house! :)

phobiac,
>>cars...guns...robber and >>police...ithellam play pannathe >>illaya?
hahah..idellam oru step taandi naanga detective game-ey james bond range la play pannirkom! so our weapons were more sophisticated! ;)

Anonymous said...

Only the short stories, eh?? :p..can't forget that skipper and kitchen! :)

Anu said...

Ouch..my dear sister, that anonymous before, was me! :O

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

climax innum konjam nalla eduthirukkalam vaani :) etho onnu missing maathiri therinjathu intha story la....

appuram enna golu nallabadiya mudichaangala illiya?

@ramya - athukkuthan ippo you are playing with the real barbies na :p

Sheks said...

first cup.ippo dolls.innum vera enna pokkishangal vechirukke?toy train?tricycle?hotwheels?vera ethavathu irundha adha pathi oru post podu.nalla irukku padikkirathukku.

Sheks said...

off-topic---which corner of chennai are u put up in???

Sandhya Ramachandran said...

A very very heart-felt post.. Trifles DOmake life man! :)

Anonymous said...

You won't believe this, I got myself 2 barbie dolls only after I got married and that was when I was 20. One from hubby and one from a friend. I have it till today and I only LEND my kids to play. No, they don't get to keep it.

I still play with the dolls, dress up and all. The child in me.

Ps: I was deprived of toys and doll when I was a kid.

Pps: Nice entry. Brought back memories.

Unknown said...

enna idhu sinna pulla thanama irukku :D

Vani Viswanathan said...

anu,
talking of skipper...do you remember how vaishu matha broke its leg!? :'(
>>only the short stories, eh?
either the 'the' is extra or you're trying to say something i can't understand!

Vani Viswanathan said...

rsubras,
konjam missing element-um kandupidichu sollidungalen, please? it would be a great help! :)
and golu, theriyala, vidu-va taan kekanum...kaetu solren!

sheks,
you first remove the madhavan pic from your profile, and then we'll see about hot wheels and toy trains... ;) (But i'm not kidding: remove it!)
i live in t.nagar, happening place!

Vani Viswanathan said...

sandhya,
i know! trivial stuff: they can make you delighted and depressed, don't you agree?

thewoman,
thank you! the child in us never dies....somehow manifests itself at times, and giving in to those fantasies really make your day often!

praveen,
cha...unakkum curses kum idha vitta vera varthaiye theriyada!

Jagan said...

i could love to play with dolls (read as figures ) ;-) ....
nice read .its kinda weird but feels good when we get back to the "kid" days feeling.

Manoj said...

hmmm

Shiv said...

nice template you have here

Vani Viswanathan said...

Jagan,
haha, which guy doesn't like to play with dolls? ;)
thanks! :)

shankari,
thank you!

Vani Viswanathan said...

manoj,
i think you have to explain something after your 'hmmm' because that's kinda common sense, and i can't understand what you're thinking in your mind..

Aravind said...

nice post!!!
Everyone gets nostalgia at some point and we start thinking how peaceful life was when we were kids!!!

Sheks said...

vani,i've removed maddy's photo as u wished.but i cant post my photo for the time being since most of my albums've got drenched in the recent showers.:(

Hope u accept this photo atleast :)

Sheks said...

Re:ur previous post.

in anna university "cup" refers to the least grade "U".as the letter resembles a cup,it's so called.vera ethaavathu sense-la eduthukalaiyae?(no offence meant)

Vani Viswanathan said...

aravind,
welcome! and thanks~ :)

sheks,
hehe...thanks! :) no offence taken and meant!
and as for cup, who cares? ;) there was only one clear cup in the story! :)
btw, who's this person?

Sheks said...

this person is the latest batting sensation mahendra singh dhoni.

Vani Viswanathan said...

thought so!! :)

Rams said...

Hey thr,
Sorry for the off-the-mark comment...but was jus interested by your interests/tastes...something that came close to mine (first time I am seeing one in the blogs and hence the HURRAY...)

I understand that you r an ARR-hardcore fan as I am.Don't miss out "Rang De Basanti"...ARR Rocks!

Anonymous said...

stress buster :-)

Cheers :-)

Sheks said...

let's meet one day!

BTW high time u updated ur blog.adutha pokkishatha kondu vaa.

Vani Viswanathan said...

rams,
same pinch! :)

vidya,
thank you!!!

sheks,
should update it soon! romba naala vittuten! :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

sheks,
adutha pokkishamaa....(wishing you could see how i'm raising my eyebrow here!)
:)

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

vani, am gonna file a case in so many courts across tamilnadu (ippo athuthaan fashion) asking the court to order you to post atleast one story per week

Vani Viswanathan said...

subras,
coming up soon!
aana story-nney mudivu pannitengla?!