Rakshasa

, , 21 comments
“Rakshasa!” is how even my mom calls me now. This ‘nickname’ was given and popularised by my elder brother 10 years back, when I was a brat who refused to learn to swim.

It all began one fateful day when dad decided swimming was one essential thing left out in the plethora of extra-curricular activities that I was in: tennis, modern dance, carnatic music, painting and sculpting. My brother Vipul, well-established (so he claimed!) swimmer (all because the guy who crossed the English channel was his senior in school; I know, the connection’s really weak, but I didn’t know this much then!) was given the charge of taking me to the pool and leaving me with the instructor. And so began trouble.

Swimming is no dangerous stuff; but I freaked out and wailed the moment water entered my ears. Our instructor, Thangadurai sir, though, was convinced that this was natural, and made sure my ears were well covered before I even stepped into the water. He began with teaching me to float.

Floating did go quite well, as water really didn’t enter my ears nor did I have to breathe with difficulty. But the moment sir decided I was ready to go the next stage, he had it. The first day I cried so much that he actually got terrified and asked my brother to take me home and console me.
After fake promises from my parents that I would no longer be taken to the pool, I slept that night, reassured.

But my parents had their own plan; “Vishal has to know to swim,” said dad. So my brother did take me to that fateful pool the next day despite my wailing all the way to the pool and even one attempt to jump off his cycle and run back home (like I knew the way! But that time I’d do anything to avoid the pool.). That day, sir was more considerate than usual and put me under ‘special’ training - I was to wait till all others in my ‘class’ finished and then I was taught by sir – special attention was given to me. That day went fine as not much water entered my ears though at the end of it I was shaking and thanking the Lord for making me come out of the pool alive.

Sir was encouraged by the lesser amount of fussing I had made that day. But he took the wrong step the next day – he made me go deeper into the water.
I was shocked. And outraged.
I screamed my head off, claiming sir was attempting to kill me. Sir tried telling me that he was teaching me how to save my life in case I was drowning, etc., but none of it worked. He became stubborn too. He refused to give in to all my tantrums and held on. When I realised he wasn’t going to let me out, I didn’t know what to do. I grabbed him by his hair and pulled at it ferociously, threatening him to let me out. After three minutes of struggle, I won. He pulled me out of the pool and told my brother it was impossible to teach me. And the moment he said that, my tear-stained face smiled. And my brother was enraged. He picked me up, scolding me all the way, and ultimately concluded that I was a rakshasa, a demon.
And the name has stuck because I still refuse to learn.

P.S.: Sigh, I don’t know how to swim, too. And I have never tried to learn, too. My class mates in university are surprised that I don’t know swimming though I come from ‘ a city on the coast’, but how’ll they know that swimming is the last thing my parents want me to do in the beach! But I guess I have to give it a thought now that water-related disasters are occuring often in Chennai!

God, I’ve hardly posted with this frequency in the recent past. Still ‘velai irundhum vetti’!

21 comments:

Harish said...

hehehe.. kai-oda oru clump of hair vandhurundha comedy-a irundhurukkum!

ps.
but that's where i stop laughing.. I don't know to swim either :(

Sheks said...

andha coach thalaila wig vechirundhaar illa?

Ramya Shankar said...

Vetti.. but not for long i guess! You are gonna be one busy person from sunday!!

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

hey very nice read.... superaah eluthareenga vani..this one has no kurai everything perfect imho

as i asked in the previous post, theme kodutha kadhai eluthuveengala??

Unknown said...

hai! same pinch :)

Naan slightly better though....andha tube kodutha dhaan swim pannuvaen-nu adam pidippaen :D ... edho oru naal ozhunga swim pannaen... adhuvum ippo marandhu poachu :D

Sriram said...

Thish ish real shtory? If sho, I am shorry. me hash to be careful while vishiting your blog..

Sujith said...

if not swimming, you sure were learning to be a woman.

>> " the first day I cried so much " >>>if nothing else works...cry,isnt it?

>> " attempt to jump off his cycle " >>> you guys really think you can do all that and more..dontchya...!

>> " special attention was given to me." >>> can see how much you enjoyed the extra bit of attention.

>> " lesser amount of fussing " >>> wow! now tats something you must have improved over by now.lesser n fussing cant go together in a sentence.thats a rule of thumb for girls?remember? :-P

>> " I was shocked. And outraged." >>> you really needed a reason for that?

>> " I screamed my head off " >>> get me something new puhlease..willya...!

>> " claiming sir was attempting to kill me " >>> maybe the word "kill" would be replaced by now?

>> " none of it worked " >>> if you dont mind letting out your trade secret, what works before you guys?really!

>> " I grabbed him by his hair and pulled at it ferociously" >>>i can only pray for you groom.Amen!

>> " After three minutes of struggle, I won." >>> three minutes? ha..you must be joking.

>> "my brother... ultimately concluded that I was a rakshasa, a demon." >>> ahem...where is your brother?Must be in the iits astro dept.

Jagan said...

velai irundhum vetti ya ? - join the grp :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish,
ezhudalaam nenachen, but vitutaen! :P

sheks,
ayyo!!

Vani Viswanathan said...

ramya,
oooooh yeah! :)

rsbras,
thanks :)
>>theme kodutha kadhai eluthuveengala??
hmm..don't know..because i've never really done well in short story contests where themes are given! my interpretation gets too abstract, i guess! :P

Vani Viswanathan said...

praveen,
same pinch-a? naa swimming kathuka kooda try pannala!! lol...namala ellam thanni-la poatta enna panuvomo!

sriram,
not true story:see reply to prav above! :P
but even otherwise, better be careful when you're visiting my blog! ;)

Vani Viswanathan said...

the exuberant,
>>if not swimming, you sure were learning to be a woman

the story is about a lil' boy, if you didn't realise...so i guess that should correct all your 'learning to be a woman' stages that you identified...

>>> if you dont mind letting out your trade secret, what works before you guys?really!
if anything close to sensible men existed, you wouldn't really have to hear that, you know? :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

jagan,
hehe...innum few days daan, though! :(

Sujith said...

Oops...there i go again! But then does the "boy" really grow upto be that? He most certainly showed signs not to,you see. ;-)

Vani Viswanathan said...

the exuberant,
haha!!
the boy growing up to be sensible? very few chances...after all, how often do you find sensible men? ;) and my character is after all a little normal kid!! :)
and boy, that's a quick reply!

Sheks said...

busy from sunday???appo singapore return-a?

Sandhya Ramachandran said...

:) Enakkum theriyadhu...And ya..u SHOULD have added the clump of hair :D

Aravind said...

Vani,

Awesommmme post... ROTFL :))
cant control laughing :))

Vani Viswanathan said...

sandhya,
aw! then it would've become too dramatic, wouldn't it? :P

aravind,
:)thanks!

Anonymous said...

good one. keep writing more.

did u say 'painting and sculpting'? i know this story is fiction, but still do they teach sculpting for kids? just curious

Vani Viswanathan said...

prasad,
thanks :)
haha, maybe sculpting is too much for kids, i wanted to write clay modelling ;)