When things go awry

, , 10 comments

Before I go to the things which went awry, some nice things:
My blog’s worth $22,181.68!!!!! (Ok, maybe a digit in the end is wrong…)
Yippppeeee…ma blog’s gonna be makin’ me rich!!
THE SUN’S SHINING!!! :)

Gosh, am I thankful for the last one! After what seemed to be eons of rain, Chennai is back to its warm and cosy self.
I undertook a spiteful trip to the terrible-as-ever Ranganathan street to get some craft work stuff for my cousin, two days back. Thank god, I came out alive!

The road was horrid. We took some shortcut when entering and avoided a lot of the slush around in the road. But a slight error while returning made us skip the ‘shortcut’ and we ended up in the street. Milling crowds, all too anxious to get out of the street safely, made sure I didn’t have to walk. They kept pushing me here and there, and I knew that another 5 minutes in the street and I would burst into tears. Thankfully again, it took lesser time to get out because of the crowd, which in its eagerness to get out, pushed me out too.

I know it’s too much to feel this in a crowded hell like R. St, but I didn’t want anyone to stamp my shoe, especially in all that slush. And I didn’t want to step into any of the waters, too. As I tried my best to avoid these things, hoards of women grabbed on to my arm for support, upsetting my delicate balance of oh-the-marsh-in-the-right-and-the-feet-in-the-left-so-center’s-the-only-safe-place support many a time. And as one woman threatened to knock me down, I gave her a glare she shouldn’t forget in the near future. :)

It’s been real long since I went to that godforsaken place, and the rains added to the misery, and I’ve vowed not to go in there again before I leave again.

Things are really going awry. Rains, which we wanted so badly that I was sending prayers to God every time it rained in Singapore for it to rain in Chennai, have just exceeded their limits. But now maybe I should just be thankful that I wasn’t there when the real heavy rains poured down in beginning of November!

Ah..work coming up now. My grandma is giving me a choice between setting the table and folding the dry clothes. Sorry, grand, neither. Wish I could just escape doing any of these things :P, but it’s so difficult adjusting to some things back home when I’ve complete independence in my hostel. But again, I can’t grumble: home is where mom’s good food is! And it’s just more than food: it’s all the pampering!! Mom says don’t whistle after 6 in the evening when I’m happily whistling a whole song from Ah Aah, while grandma wishes I would whistle carnatic songs instead. Mom then wonders how the Creator made a mistake by making me a girl, because according to them I’m the total opposite of any gracefulness expected in a woman! (God forbid!) After a while, maybe she decides that more than being boyish, I’m being feminist. Hmm…well, feminism is maybe too strong, I would rather say I have a teeny-weeny bit of chauvinism, female chauvinism. (If such a term even exists!) Just reminds me of a silly guy in a Singapore bloggers’ meet who thought my blog URL was chennaigirlrights!! WTH!

Ok, totally unconnected stuff. Technically this post must be titled ‘Random Scribbling-4’, but sequels can get too monotonous at times.

10 comments:

Sheks said...

i never step into any corner of t.nagar b'cos of the crowd.seevalapperi pandi mathri pondy bazaar-kku ulla pona "bondi"-yaa thaan velila varanum.this crowd stuff reminds me of a dialogue tht thalaivar kaundamani quoted in some movie when asked abt the crowd in a temple festival.
"kootam-na kootam apdi oru kootam.aambalainga kootam-a irundha kooda paravayilla.indha pombalainga irukkaanga paaru,prasadam kudukkaraanga-nu sonna udanae andaavukulla thalaiya vuttuttaanga,velilaye edukka maatengaraanga."

Harish said...

6 o clock aparam whistle adicha thittu? same pinch! :D

Kaps said...

LOL at chennaigirlrights :-)
Who was that BTW?

Ramya Shankar said...

oh oh! I avoid tht place as much as poss...as for the whistle? Is it wrong? Enga utla unnumey sollaliye...

Vani Viswanathan said...

t.nagar-la voodu irunda enna panradhu, sheks?

harish,
no back pinch! :P
enna funda-vo...thangala!!

Vani Viswanathan said...

kaps,
:) i don't remember his name...but he was the one who looked a bit like the author of 5.someone!

ramya,
sigh...enga vootla konjam strict-a irukanga pa! ;)

Sheks said...

kashtam dhaan.even i stay in t nagar..besanT NAGAR.:)

BTW nee irukkirathu apartment-a?and is tht apt located close to the rly line(tbm to bch line)?i think i saw u.not sure if it was u.

Vani Viswanathan said...

ayyo kadi!
yeah, an apt close to the railway line only...but when could you have seen me around there?! :)

Sheks said...

$ 22168!wow.incredible.treat kudu.

do u have any problems with this photo?(actually i thot of posting a.r.rahman's pic,but bcos "penn buthi= pin buthi",konjam control pannikittaen.appuram nee,sandy,curses etc.enakku ethiraa poraattam nadathitteenga-naa en gathi enna aagaruthu?naan paavam.)

Sheks said...

re:abt seeing u one day!it was one day during the period frm nov 28 to dec 5.i was going to saidapet,standing near the door.when the train neared mbm,just after the doraisamy subway i caught sight of a girl standing in the landing near the stairs.on looking from the side tht girl looked very much like u(courtesy:ur pic in google's networking site)sandhya had once mentioned that her house was near the rly line.so oru random guess.

tht girl was wearing a black top.