Ever helpful bhais

, , 37 comments
I don't know whether to call this fate. When people knew I was going to Mumbai for my new job, they would excitedly tell me stories of that magnificent city - it's pace of life, it's human spirit, and so on. And about the metro train there - people travelling in it are actually kind, you know, they told me, they'll help you up if you're trying to board the train and it was leaving.
I was delighted when I reached Mumbai. It was just like Chennai - it was just bigger and faster. I'd always feel at home here, I knew.
I would start my work two days after I reached. I spent the first two days making sure I knew how to get around, with my "Ek gaav mein ek kisaan" hindi. It wasn't bad, I realised; most people knew at once (who wouldn't, if my ka's weren't any different from my kha's!) that I was a 'madrasi' and spoke in English they could manage. I was having fun.
Finally it was my first day to go to work. I neatly ironed my shirt and pant, and managed to tie my tie correctly (the umpteen lessons from internet I'd taken the previous evening really helped!).
I reached the train station. I had to go from Colaba to Matunga. Things went just fine. I found and reached the station right on time, and boarded the train right on time too.
Oh boy, aren't the trains crowded...crowded is such an understatement, rather. The coach looked like it was bursting on some invisible seams, ready to spit out people at every station only to take in more after people got down.
The Matunga station was approaching. To my rising panic, I found it difficult to get to the exit door pushing all the crowd. 12 B in Chennai is far better, I tell you. My panic reached its peak as the train started pulling out of the station.
It was just a few seconds after the train got moving that I actually got anywhere near the exit. I screamed, cursed, pushed and finally got down. The train had been moving at a pretty fast speed when I got down, that I had to sprint for a while before I could stop.
And just then, three men from another coach who were hanging at the doorway, swooped me right back into the train again.
Fate, really. Those three men (maybe I should be nice to them and say kind three men) had thought I was trying to get into the train. Thinking of it now, I laugh, but back then, I would've started crying.
By the time I actually reached my workplace, I was 45 minutes late. It took me that long to take another train back to Matunga from the next station, and to find the office in that darned big place.
Of course, now I know when and how to get down.

37 comments:

Divya said...

oops..sounds bad for a first day...anyway first days are always like that...
all the best on your new job...:-)enjoy...

Bijesh said...

@divya, now she would post a reply saying that it was fiction and that most of the work on this blog is fiction. probably derived from real life but fiction nonetheless.. :)

@vani: I just saved u some time girl. :D. treat's in order?

Aravind said...

Bombay la stay panni irukkiyaa?? My guess is that partly tru experience extended to a fiction... Kareetaa?

neighbour said...

"idhu nijamella kadhai" thoguthu valaungupavar Vani. ungal blog sitiel padika thavaraatheergal...

Chez said...

What?? Grrr!!! Don't say you never traveled in peak hour suburban trains while you were in Chennai..!!!

Ramya Shankar said...

Vani, Anu oda experience ah? Illa nejamaave fiction ah?

Vani Viswanathan said...

ugh...people, it's a guy who's the protagonist in the story, for heaven's sake!! how could it have happened to me?! and when in india did men start pulling girls into the train? have we become that open?!

Vani Viswanathan said...

divya b,
I'm still studying!! :)

biju,
hit it right on the spot. Yep, treat's due for ya!

Vani Viswanathan said...

aravind,
Been in Bombay for about a month, so the stations are all that I know :)
It's fully made up, btw..

neighbour,
eh?!

Vani Viswanathan said...

chez,
have, but i still think it's worse in bombay!

ramya,
nejammave fiction daan....well, someone told me that people pull you up if you're trying to board the train...adhulendhu yosichadhu!

Kausikram Krishnasayee said...

vani...trainla foot board not advisable......numba ooru la i got picked by a cop a few weeks ago :(

Vinesh said...

guys are very nice actually
*big grin*

:-D

Anonymous said...

காலைல நேரத்துல கொலாபால இருந்து à®®ாதுà®™்கா போறதுக்கே கண்ணாà®®ுà®´ி திà®°ுகுச்சுன்னா, கல்யாண்ல இருந்து à®®ாதுà®™்கா போனா அவ்ளோ தான்... ஜூஸா தான் à®®ாதுà®™்கால இறங்கனுà®®்...
It is better to be a Morning Northbounder than a Morning Southbounder on Mumbai trains!!

Vishnu said...

hey gal till i read the comments i thought now u are in mumbai... btw thanks for dropping by, keep coming.

Cheers!
:)O

My days(Gops) said...

Mumbai nah summa vaa? btw, do u knw hindi?

Debraj said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Debraj said...

Hey Vani,

I knew you were well at cooking but cooking up stories was something new i learnt about u. May be ur course has pruned you to this course but dreams are always good to have. But trust me, u havent been in a kolkata passenger train. ohh did i say in the train, coz you would be dangling out enjoying the brisk pace and the country site senes.

Anonymous said...

nee vout andai vaa.......unne gavanchikirai......en blog padchiaa??

Jagan said...

na yetho alaipayuthey style le oru love story irrukunumnu nenaichain..whtta disappointment

Anonymous said...

He he... the write-up is not like its portraying a guy... the style and language sound feminine. Adhaan confusion1 Funny post tho... :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

mark,
hehehe...unakku theviya? :D

vinesh,
yeah, yeah, i know! *bigger grin*

Vani Viswanathan said...

pakrisami,
>>>கண்ணாà®®ுà®´ி திà®°ுகுச்சுன்னா
apdina enna?
Edho enakku therinja Mumbai train knowledge... :P

Ricky,
Apparently they do! :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

Vishnu,
Haha, me not Mumbai girl!

Kartik Kannan,
Thanks for dropping by! :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

my_days_are_counted,
Hindi edho theriyum....pesina puriyum but naa pesa maten.

debraj,
what on earth made you think I'm good at cooking?!
and naah, my course hasn't pruned anything..and about the kolkata passenger train, guess I've been in one...but i really can't understand what you're saying!

Vani Viswanathan said...

nochchikuppam,
God, to think I was laughing when you spoke Tamil...this is worse!! :)
>>>en blog padchiaa??
Are you asking me if I read your blog? If that's what it is, no.. :P

Jagan,
Aaaga, aalaalukku en blog-la love story expect panreengala?

Sandhya,
Hmm..maybe...the guy's quite 'feminine' in his description, you see! ;)

Shriedhar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shriedhar said...

seems u hv got adjusted damn fast :)
vsh u
happy times there :)

P.S: chennai gal became mumbai gal???

Sheks said...

bombay train-la successful-aa travel pannarathey oru veera saagasam.

The Talkative Man said...

heard this narrated as a true incident few years ago :)

Anonymous said...

blog iruntha thanai:)just started one.........minutes ago:):)

Harish said...

po, indha post la there's nothing to ask a treat for.. :(

Anonymous said...

'கண்ணாà®®ுà®´ி திà®°ுகுச்சுன்னா' means... கண்ணு à®®ுà®´ி பிதுà®™்கி நாக்கு தொà®™்கி (just like the image at http://jjsierra.com/images/otherstuff/cartoon/exhausted.gif)
Totally Exhausted

Vani Viswanathan said...

sridhar,
C'mon, you're kidding, right? Or you're actually saying this after reading the post and comments?!

Sheks,
ha! enakku theriyum, naa veeranganai! :P

Vani Viswanathan said...

TM,
Really! :)

nochchikuppam,
ohho....link enga? ;)

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish,
adapaavi, aanalum ivalo varutham koodadhu!

pakrisami,
hehehe picture-oda illustration veraya? thanks! :) aana link open aaga matengudhu!

யாத்à®°ீகன் said...

sounds like that Vadivelu comedy in Kaadhal Kottai i think... :-) its always better to be safe rather than being on time.. i'm seeing 1 accident per day out here.. in Singara Chennai....

Debraj said...

well cooking comments go out from the last few menues that u cooked like mixed vegitable, chana etc etc with chilli as the only spices. If u are surprised how i know all this then watch out for your orkut testi that will be posted some time soon.
In the passenger trains of kolkata i was referring to the peak office hours, when trains are jampacked and people just hook on to window railings and flood out of the doors enjoying the air and country side sights.