Pretty much random

, , 17 comments
What's usually a mundane trip to the Supermarket out of campus becomes interesting too, if you're jobless. Or rather, when you stubbornly refuse to start working on all those pending assignments and wish to do anything other than work.
I went straight to the 'first floor' of the bus I boarded to get outta campus (yeah, going by the kiddo terminology of 'maadi' bus). I was so dead bored with life suddenly, that sitting right before the glass walls of the bus in the front side seemed so exciting. I couldn't see any of the 'tiny' cars and two-wheelers that were standing before the bus. I let out a squeal of excitement when the bus swept past a huge branch of a tree as it moved, as though I was on some roller-coaster ride and was about to brush past something as a part of the ride.
As I was walking toward the supermarket, a lady came rushing to me with some pamphlets in her hand. Uh oh, I was caught.
Guess the fact that I know tamil is like stamped on my forehead or something, she came and started talking in Tamil, rightaway.
'Irunga, please, rendey nimisham.' (Wait, please, just two minutes). She was almost threatening me and I stopped for fear she might stab me if I didn't. She went on and on about this donation for Down Syndrome children and how a 'small' amount from me could make a difference. I really felt like giving some money, till I remembered that if I donated for everything that made me feel bad or sad, things wouldn't really work out. I gave the best apologetic look I could and moved on.
On the way back, I was wondering if we would ever have these closed-door buses in India...seems so nice to even think about it....but coming to the negatives of it, you'll never have an interesting footboard journey!
Ughh....just remembered I didn't get the vegetables for my friend's hamster. Duh!

17 comments:

Aravind said...

Yaaay... first to comment!! :D

India-la closed door buses illa nu yaar sonna? Most of the buses in Bangalore have doors and *surprise* *surprise* they ACTUALLY work!!!
the driver and conductor ensure that the doors are not open when the bus is moving! :)

Aravind said...

BTW, padikkum bodhu edho yosichings, vegetables vaanga forgetting.... enna nadakkudhu ??? ;)

Vani Viswanathan said...

aravind,
cha..correct...remember those buses now you said them...dadakka dodakka sattham pottunde anda lever-um door-um work pannum...
>>>enna nadakkudhu ???
sathyama theriyala! ;) maybe romba bore adikardho? :P

Sheks said...

interesting footboard journey!

adhu mattum illa.kaathu varaathu(assuming it's not an ac bus)

Ramya Shankar said...

Hamster a patni potutiye!! Unna thitta pogudhu adhu!!!
Yosanai a vidu, padi ma padi

Harish said...

bet ur next post'll b titled "The revenge of the hamster"!

Kausikram Krishnasayee said...

ya ......numba ooru footboard travel madiri varuma? anywayz vegi for a hamster from a supermarket outside campus?idu konjam over thaan ......numba ooru la ellam yeli ya pathavodanaye .....rendu rooba vuku yeli pashanam vangee vechuduvanga....

Vani Viswanathan said...

sheks,
cha..bus-la vara kaathu ellam unakku exit kitta irunda varudu? windows daane?

ramya,
hamster had food, so no problems... :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish,
:D

mark,
cha...eli-ku veggies vanga evana campus vittu povana...vera edho vanga ponen, idhu added-on work! btw, eli vesham-aa...en friend idha paathu nee enna sollirke avalukku purinjadhu, aaga, nee gali! :P

Ramya Shankar said...

Hamster saabam lendha escape ah?

neighbour said...

closed bus blore irukumaaa.. but chennai populationuku closed busaa.. nenachu kooda parka mudiyallai...

Vani Viswanathan said...

Ramya,
yescapeeee!!!

Neighbour,
Yup, forgot they have them in B'lore...and imagine what would happen to 12 B if it had closed doors? :O

Anonymous said...

I just remembered one and half years of chennai life. we do footboard traveling in coimbatore in our college days, but the chennai guys get down from bus while moving is peculiar to chennai alone.
Still in blr. I'm waiting for the buses without door for footboard journey 

Debraj said...

Hey

can u plz tell me which bus u boarded coz i never had a jerky, bumpy, swaying busride over here n my backs really seem to miss them a lot so hope u can enlighten on the bus numbers a bit more. n it seems to get the true chennal experience i need to pick up some tamil coz ur blogs dont have that much personal experience n the comments r only in tamil. so may be u can give some tamil classes here as well.

Anonymous said...

naan idhu varaikkum double-decker-la travele pannadhilla!!!! boo hoo!!!! :'( Podi pisa... enna vittuttu nee poittaye... X(

Vani Viswanathan said...

lok,
Yup, chennai's guys have that unique ability...and hope you get your without-doors-bus in b'lore soon! :)

Inscrutable,
There are many many personal experiences in my blog, maybe it's a little tough for you to identify them!
As for the comments in tamil, they are more personalised that way! haha, and you wanna learn tamil? :D

Vani Viswanathan said...

sandhya,
aiyo loosu, madras-laiye evalo double decker bus irukku! edha onnuthula summa oru naal poi okkaru! naa first time BEST-la ponen...adhuku apram inga vandhudaan, i think....