Going out...

, , 23 comments
Whew! Finally back home after two days of hectic (!) life in Karaikudi for a marriage. Marriage of an aunt I’ve never kinda met before. Watched a marriage almost completely after years. Went by train after a year too. Was good fun and a pain at times, too.
First my kiddo cousins. SR, Ad and Aj, I know you guys wouldn’t be reading this, but I must let you know you guys were some helluva lot of trouble in between. These kids pestered me to play Dumb charades, quiz (guess the questions? “Which is the capital of India?” and the like), Name Place Animal Thing and Antakshari. Maybe I should be thankful they didn’t ask me to play running and catching with them. It was quite difficult to explain to them that college second years don’t generally play running and catching, that too with kids, and that too, ME….one person who never gave much a damn for sports.
Ooops….not in my dreams did I think that Karaikudi would be worse than Chennai! Boy, the heat roasted me live and I was thankful I had some tolerance towards heat because of my Chennai upbringing. I hate to think what would’ve happened otherwise.
The train journey to Karaikudi was, well, bad. The train jolted, shook, swivelled, jumped, rocked, jiggled, and well, I’m out of words in English to describe how the train moved. So much so that I felt I was in a train and felt that up and down movement till I boarded the train to come back home. The return journey was perfect except for somebody’s snores that were actually grunts and snorts. I did all I could to find the source but because of my laziness to climb out of the berth, I was unsuccessful. The grunts were periodical and shook my lil’ bits of patience out of me. Thank heavens; they stopped after about a couple of hours.
Metre gauge trains are pretty horrible. They are so extremely small. My head kept bumping against the ceiling and so I was not able to sleep in the upper berth. Worse still, my hair kept getting caught in the fan and I gave a tiny scream every time it did, getting my mom freaked and hence me, down.
The marriage was good. I met strange people who claimed to be close relatives of my mom and dad, and some who are related both ways and I felt like tearing my head apart and telling them “Sorry, en thalaila ithana vishyathukku idam illa.... what’ll I do knowing this?”. But decency and a sense of showing off to people that I was a well-behaved girl stopped me short.
So Karaikudi is famous for Chettinads, aachis and paniyarams. I had my first taste of paniyarams with my mom by my side patiently explaining how it was made…. “Namma appam pannuvom illa, instead of frying it in oil they just …” I stopped listening and had a bite…boy it didn’t taste that nice. Konjam uppu chappu illadha maari irundhadhu. But maybe that’s the way they do it.
And Karaikudi poi how can anyone miss temples? Pillayaarpatti, Kunrakudi, Ariyakudi and Koppudaiyamman temples. Boy, erkanave visiting temples is not my cup of tea. On top of all this was the heat around the place and this was enough to make me grumpy. Thankfully again, I was able to revive myself after seeing empty temples and the feeling that I didn’t have to wait to see God in long queues.
I finally met my “aunt”, a regular reader of my blog who is in Chennai but we still couldn’t just make it to meet each other. Hi D.!!! Try to start blogging too!!
Two eventful days. Filled with fun, too. They’re over now and I’m back to lovely home. Nothing is like Chennai, eh? :)

23 comments:

Kaps said...

Karaikkudi is a bit hot. I hv spent few summer hols there as my grandma's house is there.

Unknown said...

Nalla theeni pola, enjoy! :)

Anu said...

enna..pongi ezhundurkka?? Idhenna D/AJ ellam? ;).Seri, seri...enna D unakku aunt aa? :)) Ayyo en kanne!

Harish said...

veyyil huh? sorry ma, me in B'lore.. apadina enna nu marandhu pochu! :P

S m i t h a said...

"my hair kept getting caught in the fan"
oouch! even i let out a tiny scream... and u r telling as if it was that scary cat's tail that got in the fan!
neways, njoi maadi in ur chennai :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

kaps...u've stayed in a chettinad house wad? or at least seen one? i missed it this time....
praveen,
theeni konjam bore thaan...but wogay....
anu,
edhukku kutti pasangla ellam nera thittanumnu nenachen....adukkudhaan...hehe,for the D aunt matter, she was introducing me as her cousin to everyone...n i made it a point to say "neice" and not cousin! :P

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish....
namalku b'lore naale konjam allergy...anyways...orey b'lore babes sighting-aa nee? ;)
smitha,
haha, chennai's amazing!

Sriram said...

Escoos me.. metre gauge train matter konjam too-much I say!! and just FYI, though my family loves paniyaaram, I hate it.. no spice in it..

Wot?? I'm not on your blog roll. *Kicks the stone near his foot and sulks away*

Vani Viswanathan said...

ooooops!!
sriram, konjam miss aidchu....shalll blogroll ya soon!
btw, metre gauge train pathi sonna u're getting tensed? u should've travelled in one...then you'll know! esp. after travelling in the broad gauge things!

Unknown said...

Brilliant account of a trip to Karaikudi:) I am with Kaps on the heat there, worse than the Chennai heat. Nothing like being back in Chennai though

Sriram said...

Travel? I've basically lived in metre gauge trains.. (errr.. daily commute to college).. and "peace" sriram? LOL.. good one ;) And ofcourse, chennai rocks and so do I *C'mon! you knew that was coming didn't you?*

Unknown said...

Vani,
Curses babes-a sighting-a?? No chance! Endha road-la endha naai irukku-nu thaedittu iruppan! :)

Unknown said...

Curses, you've got to defend yourself now. Praveen overaa unna insult panraanu enakku thonudhu :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

uma,
corrrrrect. sorgamey endralum adhu chennai-yai polaaguma!:P
sriram,
*takes a bow* hey hey..only for the name....not for "you rock!" :P PEACE!!!!!

Vani Viswanathan said...

praveen,
nee adangavey maatiyaa? ;)

Unknown said...

Uma,
Curses-a insult-a? Cha cha...avanaye kelunga, avan adhaan pannitu irupaan :)

Avan nallavan vallavan matter therinjavan :D

Vani,
Me also curses maadhiri good boy di, but i get my priorities right :)

Vivhyd said...

perhaps there were too many speed breakers on the tracks -- so train shook, jostled.. etc..
Been ages since I attended kalyanam.. Love that atmosphere.. we meet people for 1st time ..who are our relatives.. supposedly.. and..it never ends.. does it?? Amma vudhae athai.. vudhae mamma paiyan... (I am not thinking.. so don't laugh is there is a simple way to describe this)...

Krish said...

Naan karaikkudikku ponathey illai but my sister-in-law's sister lives there. Have to visit it sometime but not sure if I can survive the food there :-)

Sheks said...

did u really drink a car????

Vani Viswanathan said...

praveen,
dei nee nalla payanaa?
vivhyd,
haha, very true!don worry....i'm not really analyzing too :)
thennavan,
veetla cook panna no problem, right?but the paniyarams, sorry...ugh!
sheks,
drink a car? umm...sorry din get you right!

Unknown said...

Vani,
Idhil enna sandhegam unakku :)

Naan nallavan, miga miga nallavan, ennai poal nallavanai paarkavey mudiyaathu :)

saranyan r said...

aha karaikudi ah. I love their cuisine, their aappams and kara kozhambu is out of the world. uppu chappu illadha maadhiri thaan irukkum, you need to try it with thengai paal.
unga ellarayum paartha enakku poramaya irukke :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

ya praveen,
unna pola oru "nallavan"-a paakave mudiyadhu....cha...
btw, oru naidu hall bag-laiye sarakku vechu black shades potundu i'll stand outside naidu hall(note:women's section) wogay-vaa?
saranyan,
oh its ok...no poramapatufying...you'll be here in some time, won't you? then go have all paniyarams and thenga paal stuff! :)