Ah! That carefree life!!

, , 19 comments
When I was going down for a walk a while ago, this little kid in my apartment put out both his hands in a “Wide” cricket decision giving manner and yelled, “Stop it!” at me. Yeah, I wanted to say “Yevan avan…” but decided to humour the kid and stopped. He then smiled and said, “Go!” I found it so cute and said “Thank you!” to the kid and his joy knew no bounds. This kid Mone has always been a sort of mystery to me. I was taken aback this time when he acted traffic cop, as for a change, he had not shrieked and ran away, as he usually does. Well, to make up for all this cute act of his, as I came back and tried to pinch his cheek, he yelled and ran away, making threatening signals at me at a distance he felt was safe.
Mone is actually his nickname, the Malayalam word for “little boy”, the male version of mol. I knew this fact quite late, and till then I was thinking he was Monu. I always used to call him “Monoooooooooo……” and my mother used to look at me with some surprise, I never knew why. Until the aunty next door called him Mon, and I asked my mum why she spoilt the kid’s name like this. The big bulb I received was that I was calling him wrong!
Well, so much for the kid. As I looked at him and proceeded for my regular walk around the huge apartment in the night, I couldn’t help feeling jealous of the kid. He had not even started school, and showing people that he knew the words stop and go made him so happy. And here I know thousands of words but rarely am I happy with it! Cares change as we grow; they never remain the same.
I often wonder why I never remember what all I had done as a kid; all I know are things narrated by various people who had seen me as a kid. And with all these fragments of tales I put together that jigsaw puzzle of how I had been as a kid. I imagine myself crawling under tables and chairs as one uncle keeps telling me; I imagine myself gnawing at wooden sofa legs to put my new, growing teeth into use; I imagine myself looking down a deep, still-being-dug well, miraculously not having fallen down and imagine my mother searching for me as I do deep studies connected with this well. I see pictures of myself sobbing because I didn’t get to wear that pretty dress my sister was wearing for her dance performance and pictures of me smiling triumphantly after wearing a cousin’s nice dress (while she was angry and frowning standing next to me, by the way!). I wonder why I only cared for such things at that time? Simple things like getting a new toy kept me satisfied for days. A hassle free life then. No generation gap fights, no school, no university, no cute boys, no grades, no disappointments, no crushes, no failures, no need to keep up promises or behave any particular way. Life seemed to be so simple then. Wake up, eat, run around, eat, maybe cry a little bit on the way to get something done, eat and sleep. The best part was being put into sleep in the afternoons. Try it now, and all I get is a whack for sleeping. Wow, how much my mom might have fret if I didn’t take a nap then…lord, why should things change so much within just 18 years? :P
I wonder how we call ourselves grown up, and therefore mature, but get so difficult to please. Things just aren’t simple anymore. Yes, cares change as we grow. Mon will also get into this cycle soon with all his schooling and blah. And then there’ll be those endless tuition classes and ECA classes- tennis, cricket, dance, and so on. And he will very quickly lose his innocence as all of us did, too. Well, the only difference is that each of us loses it at some different rate.
But that is the essence of the whole thing. The fact that we no more are child-like makes us cherish those times when life was so simple! I now have slowly started thinking about how my life would take a dramatic swing again in another month and a half, and how it keeps oscillating between Singapore life and Chennai life. Uhh…maybe it’s not right to think about that now.
Like any normal kid, I too wanted to grow up quickly so I could be “grown up” and also get some attention that my sister used to get. Yeah, green-with-envy kid I was, at times! And as any other normal person, I wish I could go back to that age again. That age when I just woke up, ate, ran around and slept. That age when the only cares were toys, playing, and, well, I can’t even remember more. That age when I was free and umm, happy?

19 comments:

Juvenile Delinquent said...

How could you have written this at 1:01 a.m. if I'm reading it at 12:05? And yeah, totally cool blog template! And yeah again, A. R. Rahman rocks! Did you know that Roja was listed in Time Magazine's Best 10 Soundtracks Ever?

Anonymous said...

" I imagine myself crawling under tables and chairs as one uncle keeps telling me;"

my uncles say i used to climb upon trees and stay there..... well i simply dont remember any trees nor can i climb a tree now.... mebbe ppl exaggerate.... comparing a table to a tree????

carefree life!!!!!!! i jus want to go back to that period......

S m i t h a said...

i know exactly what u mean!
and thanks, for, i shamelessly stole the title for my post :D

Sriram said...

GUess the kid was scared seeing you drive and wanted to check if u have brakes on your bike ;). I don't think it is too bad being me as a child. Infact, people might be pleased with me now, esp cuz I don't pull as many pranks or break things as much as I used to. (yes, i don't climb trees/buildings now, and I always use the front door to get into my house :D).. Everyone always ponders about being a child again. But there lies our folly. We want something that we don't know about, but what if we go back and don't like it? And wear a helmet when u drive kiddo. Peace!

Unknown said...

cute post :)

Nee vaena Mone poachae Stop, Go ellam solli paaraen happiness thirumba varutha-nu paarpom :D

Scooty eppadi oattara di ippo? Flinstone style-a vittaya illaya? :)

Chez said...

LOL... nice post..

one ishmaall request.. could you pls give some spacing betwen two paragraphs.. reading the whole thing just like that is 'Pain in the..... eyes!' :-D

Art said...

sweet post...
Its really sad that as we grow up we lose the innocense which we had...
But somewhere deep we are still kids and thats y i think we can cherish our childhood days and enjoy the pranks and all the other things the sweet little kids do now. :)

Harish said...

hmmmm, I can only envision avayyar saying all this!

ur still a kid, Vani. enjoy it while u can! :)

Vivhyd said...

If only .. knowing more words meant more happiness!! Yes, its amazing how our lives change from simple to complex to very complex as we grow up.. And before you know it get too complex for us to understand..and I guess there is a little simplification when we are old again..

Wondering about the things we used to do as kids.. its often gr8 listening to my mom what I did as a kid... whenever .. I would ask her and she is never too bored to talk about it....

Vani Viswanathan said...

deepak jd,
hi!!
uh oh, that's singapore time actually....it was 10 30 night when i wrote it here in india...that's why!
and yeah, rahman's god!!! :) Roja, in best 10 soundtracks EVER??? WOWWWW!!! in fact, i'm not surprised, though!
a,
ohh,..u climbed trees?? what did you do staying there? ;) and yah, don't talk about getting back to that carefree life...i'm jealous of those lil' kids!!

Vani Viswanathan said...

smitha,
ah! plagiarism, eh?? naa enna panren paarunga! :P
sriram,
the kid has never seen me drive. so, Peace!
hmm...getting back to that life seems to be fun mainly because we don't remember much of what we did then.....that's the idea!
dei praveen,
super idea. try panni paakaren! :P btw, scooty ellam ippo nalla ottings. no flintstone style. can go at 40 also lah!

Vani Viswanathan said...

magnus astrum,
hi! and thanks!
ohh ok, so it's pretty cramped, is it? point noted! :)
art,
thanks! well, if i bring out the child in me now, all i'll get is one nice whack telling me to start behaving properly! :( it's difficult to behave grown up when we have that mask of so called maturity on us!

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish,
avvayar-aa? where does she come into the picture? umm, clarify?
vivhyd,
yeah....one viscious circle life is, eh? my mom only tells me stories of how troublesome i was as a kid...no nice stories! :P

Juvenile Delinquent said...

Hi again... I found you on orkut... Ummm... If you don't mind, could you add me your Yahoo! list or something? I think you'd find me quite interesting - we have quite a lot of common interests...

~phobiac~ said...

hey nice write up.....and I've been reading ur blog for some time now...interesting posts....and by the way.....BAA....I've jus BOOK TAGGED U !!

so better make a post for the TAG....to know the format get to my TAG POST !

~phobiac~ said...

hey waiting for the post...and in that process...go ahead and TAG everyone in sight !!

GS said...

Hi Vani ...
This is Gayathri, unga friend Shalini's sis. Nice to see you blog!

BTW, nice template!

Vani Viswanathan said...

smyta,
welcome! :) and thanks!
hey, so i'm not as complicated as i thought i am! :P
gayathri,
hey hiii! you blog too? great! and thanks for the template :)

Harish said...

avayyar as in thoughts mature beyond ur age! :)