How to name it? Random scribbling-2??

, , 11 comments
My eyes want to shut as I type this; but I don’t want to leave it and go to sleep. My mind has just chilled after some hectic time…all thanks to the amazing music playing right now. As I listen, I wonder how music has the power to keep so many of us in good cheers…. what would we do without music? Oh my god!
When I went to Singapore to study, all I heard about my music taste during the initial periods of ragging was that my music taste was kiddish; and what did I listen to that was “kiddish” according to the “cultured” seniors of mine? Tamil music, bits of old and new Hindi, very little of English, well, BSB, MJ and some random songs, to be precise. This was a matter of amusement for many…but I have no idea who they are to judge my taste of music.
Ugh, one thing good about those episodes was that I learnt I never have to feel ashamed of what I like and that I never have to change my tastes because someone else didn’t like it. Well, this was a principle I had ever since I know it, but these incidents just enforced them hard into me.
After some time of living there though, I stumbled upon many people who shared my tastes in music. And I hit a near jackpot (yeah, these are jackpots for me) when I got my own computer and was free to log in to the Indians’ network and access many computers. This was when I found a treasure house of many of my favourites, music I was longing for in its absence there: background music of Mouna Ragam, the Pa Sa Ni Sa bgm from Bombay, the Airtel ad video, the Radio Mirchi jingle, the Spirit of Unity music (which was quite a hit during days Sun TV hadn’t really come up yet), and some bgm pieces from Roja never did I think people would’ve noticed. This made me so happy the day I found them that I was excited and quite sleepless too.
Mean girl that I am, I have realised that music only has the power to lift my spirits..more than anything or anyone. Yeah, I say mean because this is not something my mom would like to hear. Well ma, I cannot help it! ;)
Frequent arguments pop up at home about how classical music has never interested me much and about how I made a grave mistake by quitting my music lessons. No I’m not guilty. Quite surprising that I’m not able to generate the levels of interest that my people at home want me to have to appreciate classical music. Well, one reason for this; and I will blame them for it is the classical music on radio. I doubt if anyone reading this post (except my sis, maybe) has ever heard all this stuff on the AIR stations. No doubt, some concerts that AIR airs are excellent, but for most of the time they are so miserable I feel like running out in agony! Some records are so old that they play music of artists who died ages ago; some cry out in pain as they have been played so many times over and over again…oooof! Hearing such classical music has played a substantial role in pulling down even that little interest I had in classical music left after my torturous music teacher.
It is not really probable that my mum reads this, but I wish someone would drive this thing into her mind; I’m not any Aurangazeb (yeah, that’s how she calls me because I supposedly cannot appreciate classical music). It’s just that very few artists’ classical music can get my approval. (yeah, that’s my high standard!) :P
After going there to study, I have found a lot of freedom to enjoy my taste of music. I found a couple of guys who love the same pieces of music from movies as I do and nothing gives me more joy than discussing those with them. Thanks people! You make my days many a time!
As I sit at times now in the balcony in the awesome wind, I’m reminded of my XII board exams and their preparation. Radio Mirchi used to be playing continuously and every favourite song of mine that I heard used to boost my enthu so high that I would start working out with so much more energy…so much of what I remembered during the exams were because of the music. I also remember how I kept humming a song from Roja throughout my maths exam when a sum similar to what I had practised listening to that song came up. Whew, good times they were!
For the past six months in Singapore, I have become used to the comfort of not having a roommate; my music has always been blaring. I shudder to think what would happen when I get a new roomie next year! It would be a blessing if she also is never in the room most of the time… or is it asking for too much?? ;)

11 comments:

Vivhyd said...

Oh,, u read my mind here with this post.. was thinking of posting something on similar lines.. ah.. will do that soon.. anyway.. Ya.. as u said music is soothing for sure... play ur fav ones and the mood is so very nice..

We have similar taste too I observed.. Tamil songs, mix of old and new hindi (esp melody..) and Eng like BSB and MJ.. (these until I came to US).. now.. thgh I retain Tamil and Hindi.. but its all Hip hop/Pop/R&B and my new found fascination for Latino music.. watch my blog for rest in a couple of days...

Harish said...

same pinch. :)

oy, u want anymore of Rahman's bgm pieces?

Sandhya Ramachandran said...

Appa.... Rangea thoughts eyhutheerka! Rahman rocks! So does BSB! Tho no one likes them except us and vivhyd! Will mailafter exam.All ido is blogging these days.And so sweet of u to have mailed our friends about the article vans!!! Thanks, Ms.Lu!!!

Sriram said...

OK, now, me will listen to music whenever I want to do some work. (Lagging behind majorly :D).. but wait.. on the otherhand, I might go to sleep if i listen to music.. so what do I do?

Try some soft rock.. u might like that.. and if nothing works, let me know and I'll sing some songs for you. that way, you'll run away from music :D

Vani Viswanathan said...

vivhyd,
same pinch, then!!!
well..i lost this liking for BSB slowly too....guess it's all a part of growing up!hehe, will surely read your blog soon! :)
harish...
khewl!
yeah, i want more bgm pieces...first, the piece from roja, when a.swamy's packing for the kashmir trip..i have it, but it's in hindi!namlaala indha dubbed matter ellam keka mudiyala! more???shall tell you more soon :P

Vani Viswanathan said...

sandhya..
habba....busy madam appo ippo thaan ingallam vareengala?? and hey, i don't like BSB as much as i used to, but some of their songs still make good hearing! and pls. STOP CALLING ME LU!!!
sriram,
hey my major problem is classifying english music as rock and hip hop and blah. i just listen to whatever i think is nice...gimme some names of artists who sing soft rock?

Vani Viswanathan said...

archstorm,
hi! hmm...quite true...i think it's because we have just too much of exposure to various other types of music....and when we like something unlike carnatic music, we tend to lose interest in it...but well, i still like it...it's just that i don't want people around me telling me to sing...i'd rather do it whenever i want...THAT is why i learnt..and no qualms about quitting classes coz i've learnt enough to know what i want! :)
carnatakam,
hello!!hmm..by reading your profile i can understand you are a good fan of carnatic music!:)
ok...
first, my parents did take me to a lot of concerts...but all these at a time when i had other things to do that they seemed more like an irritation than enjoyment.or maybe it was my age...i wasn't really able to appreciate them!
yes, there are a lot of concerts in AIR which are amazing and my mum gets suprised when i don't smirk my face!!unfortunately, most of the time they don't live up to the mark and my grandma refuses to switch off even if the music is like wailing!these irritate me to no end...and ultimately people somehow conclude i don't like this kind of music.
heh, i agree with you at the alcoholic thing.....but well, people start drinking mostly coz it seems to be the cool, "in thing" to do....maybe we'll do the same with carnatic music if it starts becoming some sort of fad, too! btw, you're also from singapore??

Vani Viswanathan said...

carnatacam,
whew...english music is never really my cuppa tea...i always think our tamil music is also awesome, if not better!and true, i'd always like maitreem bhajatha or kurai ondrum illai....that's just what i'm trying to tell my parents...leave me to enjoy my genre in music...whether carnatic or filmi.

Krish said...

Oru iniya manadu isaiyai anaiththu chellum
Inbam pongum ullam

:-)

Seriously, why be ashamed of our music? Nam panpaadu, kalachaaram kuriththu ezhuthappadum paattukkalai vidavaa "mel naattu kalaigal" uchitham? Illave illai.

Vani Viswanathan said...

carnatacam,
exactly!!!!
thennavan,
wohh!great tamil!wish i could say such things too!

Juvenile Delinquent said...

Lady, I could fall in love with you! A. R. Rahman totally rocks! I could go on talking all day about the magic his music is! And yes, I can empathise with you... Specially the part about other people not respecting your individual tastes in music... I just HATE it when people act like heavy metal and all the other shit is really hot just because they want to look cool to others...

And if you don't mind my asking, you are/were studying in Singapore right? Is that NUS, NTU or pre-university? Just because I know people in all those places...