A Saturday Affair

, , 5 comments
On a bleary Saturday afternoon that can be best described by the word 'blah', for all its dreariness, nothingness, for the lack of promises it held for the rest of the evening, I set about a task that gives me the energy and mood for the rest of the day.

We had made semiya upma, our kitchen lacking everything except the basic spices and a pack of frozen vegetables lying frozen in the refrigerator. Lazy to step out of the house in the sun and buy anything back, which must be washed, chopped and whatever, this was the easiest alternative.

As we cooked in the nickel-aluminium (?) wok that Amma had bought for me last year in the hope that I would step up and become interested in cooking my own lunches and dinner, I felt annoyed. At all the brown marks that the wok had come to bear, products of overheated oil in which me and my friend had tried many a time to make something edible (no, I'm not getting into what came out from the wok - things I have cooked deserve a special story of their own, and this blog has come to witness many such in its years).

Annoyed, half an hour later, done eating the semiya upma that might have needed salt but we still stuffed in by coating it with spicy pickle, I set down to scrubbing it clean. I toyed with the idea of soaking it in soap for a while, but didn't have the patience to wait before cleaning it. It was one of those times when you are so bent upon finishing your task that you have no patience to wait for the in-betweens.

I put on those bright yellow rubber gloves and grabbed the mesh of wire that had been strung together to make a scrubber. Turning the pan inside out, I scrubbed with all my might.

Scrub, scrub, scrub. And more scrub.

About five minutes later, I ran some water over the wok. Lo and behold! The scrubbing was working, and the brown parts were slowly turning golden. Encouraged, I scrubbed harder, unmindful of the ache in the right arm that was vigorously promoting my cause.

I turned the wok this way and that, trying hard to reach those unreachable parts near its handles, the rims, and pretty much every part of the wok I could see.

Ten minutes later, when the wok was covered with soap that had turned black (courtesy the metal scrubber), I ran water on it.

The wok shone quite brightly.I put the wet, dripping wok on the shelf, and gave a grin and left the kitchen.

Only remnant of that enthusiasm now is in my urge to go shower quickly, and get all the grime from the wok that stuck to my palms out and feel clean.

5 comments:

Inder said...

a 'clean' saturday noon, eh?? :)

Ramnarayan said...

Damn, just dish-washed and take shower? 2nd time then ooohhh.. so clean and hygienic.. hmm! So after this post, your nick would be Ms.ScothBrite ;-)

Didnt observe Earth Hour?

Btw - me off to Chennai on April 1st, Jet Airways, 9:15am SGT flight.. Then 2:55pm IST from Chennai another flight Paramount to Coimbatore(hometown).. will stay there until 13th, April.. And from Coimbatore take flight Jet Airways at 9:05pm IST, reach Chennai @ 10:20pm IST, then on 14th April, @ 01:15am IST take flight back to Singapore and reach Singapore at 08:05am SGT..

Got a new job, effective from 16th April I signed 2 years contract with Ateos as Protection Officer. Quit Environmental Health Officer @ NEA, as the contract 1 year finishes on 31st March.

Got a new room, will stay with ma Sis.. she gonna work for Casuarina Primary @ Pasir Ris as Primary School Teacher, as her 1 year NEA same job with me, though different branch contract expired too..

So goodbye to Sengkang, Hi to Pasir Ris. 1 common room, Singaporean Tamil family, me and sis, $500 rental including PUB. So my share $250. Hmm.. Have to shift things today and tommorow as monday, tuesday last day of work, wont find time. Too messy the room now. Hmm.. Also, lost my IC, so have to go to ICA on monday to collect new one, adhukku orru $100 dhandam.. :-( and police report..

Hmm.. Nala iruppom, nala iruppom.. ellarum nala iruppom, indha pudhu tamil new year lerundhu! :-)

Enamo, sollanam nu thonichu, sonnen..

Yevlo naal, unga page ku vandhu, F5 amiku amiku fingers ellam thenjupochunga.. Glad to see your blog today!

En kangalai namalaama? ;-)

So sad, got to remain inside Chennai airport only as dont know anyone there.. Ok, ungal adutha blog ill papom.. Regular ah post panungapa, ethana thadave remind panradhu naan unga die-hard fan endru..

Bye!

Ramnarayan said...

Oye! :-) No blogs yet??? Ok.. Me in Coimbatore! Leaving on monday night flight to Chennai, then connecting flight tuesday, almost midnight and 14th 08:05am Singapore time, will land @ Singapore. @ Home in Coimbatore now. Great food, saw the news? 2 people died, so many infected after eating from an Indian hawker center in Geylang Serai. Pity, I always wonder, Indian food hopeless in Singapore, unless those good restaurants along the stretch of Race course rd. hmmm.. gotta learn cooking, what to do??? :-( Ciao!

Neha said...

LOL. A post on how you cleaned your wok? You go gal :D

Ramya Shankar said...

Amma makes me fetch 'sengal' and scrubs with that. It makes such a teeth-biting-nerve-wrecking noise!