Existential thoughts

, , 3 comments
You are probably tiring of the number of times I mention the creepy crawlies that my home abounds with, but they really set me thinking. And this evening, it was a snail that set me going. Moving slowly down the white tiles in the bathroom, shaking its head and two antennae slowly, pushing forward in slo-mo. Snails have always terrified me - not for the fact that they are insects (or animals?) that creep me out, but because they move so, incredibly, slowly. No, look at one the next time you see one, and keep looking, and you'll probably get what I mean. Why do they move this slowly? Where are they going? What do they do, you know, in life? I can see why God made dogs, cats and cows; butterflies, cockroaches, and ants; monkeys, horses, centipedes and moths. But why snails? What's their purpose in life? I've always wondered if anyone's tried to understand what goes on in the, erm, minds of these animals. I know they don't have a sixth sense that lets them think outside of their fight/flight tendencies, but well then, what else do they do? What differentiates them from the million others of their kind? What do they do when it's not their season to be alive and about?

There are so many things to think about, especially when you have work to do. I wish my purpose of existence was to read, read a lot, travel and ask questions that other people can think of solving.

3 comments:

Kausikram Krishnasayee said...

did he who made the cheetah make thee,
oh slowly crawling mystery :P

if there is elegance in the agility of the cheetah then so is there an elegance in the movement of the snail. and yeah it does have miles to go before it sleeps.

Rhapsody-writer said...

In existence lies a myth -
A myth not of action, nor protraction,
A myth not of truth, fruit or couth,
But a myth lingers indeed,
In the heart of the three 'eeds' -
Speed, weed and creed.

Dham said...

hmmm, ever thought of drinking hot chocolate and sleeping off while at home? i am impressed by the thought, but am not sure by what;you watching a snail or you wanting to know the purpose of its existence?