Random Scribbling - 3

, , 29 comments
One week since I posted and I'm already getting impatient, thinking about what to post next; topics, again, range from the A.R.Rahman concert in Singapore that I will miss because it's horrendously expensive, to the-saree-wearing-singing-hungama that happened on Wednesday, to cursing my heavy, burdening, workload.
And then, it struck me; one thing I would be ready all my life to ramble about for as long as possible - dear old Chennai.
Every time I looked at the name of my blog, I would feel pretty stupid - chennaigalwrites?? Then I convince myself saying it was a name I had thought of in class X, four years ago, when I had first heard of blogs and so badly wanted to have one, but did not know how to. Then I thought, probably the name ain't that stupid, for after all, it defines me, I am a Chennai girl.
I am the only misfit in a family where everyone unanimously hates this city. What's there to hate, I wonder. Well, of course, there are umpteen number of reasons - bad water, roads dug up every now and then, the heat, the pollution, the current cuts (thankfully not in my home sweet home!) and blah. But hey, I say, every Indian city has them! Studying in a place where none of these problems virtually exist, I must confess, I miss them. What's the point living in a place where you don't face any problems? Staying in cities like good ol' Chennai only makes you appreciate these things more. Things feel so artificial sometimes in Singapore, and I'm left wondering what's the point. Grass mowed every three or four days with an annoyingly loud machine, vehicles which take the leaves off the road everyday.... Well, give me a break!
Just facing totally unconnected streams of thoughts....I'm reminded of the highly occasional 'Bangalore vs. Chennai' fights that I used to lead back home, and sometimes here, too, with the Bangaloreans. Chennai, I say, has a soul. It has people who live life normally despite the innumerable shortcomings they face everyday, right from water to public transport. It has a just perfect blend of tradition and modernity, the perfect Kabaleeshwarar koil devotee and Saturday discotheque freak. Girls here shop in Globus as much as they would on Pondy Bazaar's famed platform shops. Chennai has everything. Chennai is brimming with life, brimming with optimism. Chennai can shrug trouble off its shoulders and come back to normalcy after any disaster, the tsunami being the prime example.
Now everytime I go back, I make sure I never have that NRI feeling (uhh, well, if I can be called one??) of 'God, how did I live in this country?' which I so terribly hate. Life so smoothly glides into the Chennai way of living as my flight lands and I start in long queues which people break with ease, for immigration. When in Chennai, I become the chennaigal, feasting on amma's amazing thakkali rasam and vendekkai curry. And jumping over those can't-be-counted number of potholes. Wading through the heavy Usman Road traffic with ease. Taking a bath before 10 a.m., before the water stops. Fighting a vain battle with grandparents to watch a different channel, and ultimately ending up watching 'Metti Oli' or 'Kolangal' with them. Bargaining with the shopkeepers in Pondy Bazaar. Standing in the strangling queues in temples. Getting crushed in the overcrowded public buses, and sometimes, footboard travel too. And yes, living a life.
Living in Chennai can make you prepared for anything in life. After living in Chennai, I sure can face most of the things in life, and with a schooling from DAV, I dare say, anything, anything, can be confronted!!!
Oh god, off I go rambling again. I can almost see the 'Organizational Communication' textbook on my table glaring at me and saying, "Hello, you were supposed to read something from this book??"
And yet again, I'm unable to think of any heading for this post, now that the org. comm. book is staring right down at me. So this post gets a name I've used twice before, it's a sequel.
And hey, Chennai rules!!! :)

29 comments:

saranyan r said...

well the city has a soul, agreed. but singapore improved on its shortcomings and they moved to whole new world .. a new world with more technological challenges which are interesting too. namma mattum adhe problems ah innum deal pannindu irukkoam.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the chennai mayor club(Mayor means chennai la nalla meyaradhu) :-D

You know what? Bangalore is patheitc these days. The infrastructure has completely crumbled. When compared, chennai is far far far better!!!

Harish said...

Vani
U r rite....Chennai has a soul
My friends here wanted to go to Blore on the first oppurtunity but believe me they now come to Chennai for the shortest available holiday
The busy Renganathan St..the Traffic laden Anna Salai..the stinking Koovam..the queue for water...and still...Chennai is Singaara Chennai..
After all...Whats life without a Royal Challenge (no ..i m not drunk)

Chakra said...

> Grass mowed every three or four days with an annoyingly loud machine, vehicles which take the leaves off the road everyday

- i liked this part.

Chennai is heaven... agreed.. but as Saranyan says, we are still dealing with the same problems we were dealing 20 yrs back... lets put an end to these probs and create new ones so that life in Chennai wd always be challenging!

Kaps said...

The ARR concert is way too expensive....I hv also decided not to go.....u might want to read this

http://sambharmafia.blogspot.com/2005/08/r-rahman-concert-in-singapore.html

Chennai rulez.

~phobiac~ said...

sooper sooper !

nice write up.....

Vivhyd said...

nice post on Chennai by Chennaigirl.. well I came 2 ur blog cos of ur name.. vani.. cos I really misss Chennai.. so I thght u wud keep me updated on life in Chennai.. :)

well I am frm Hyd and I love it ofcourse but Chennai is like my 2nd home and I love tht city 2.. in the beginning it was tough (did my undergrad in Chennai - Sathyabama ..) but then I love it and loved the 4 yrs.. Chennai has got it all and I have seen Chennai like no other city.. and love it

u frm DAV? .. same pinch.. me 2 altgh frm Hyd.. ya.. Kapaleeshwar, pondy bazar etc.. hmm u brought back lots of memories.. a zillion times on the bus and pa.. mylapore tank oru ticket.. I wud say..:)

ada-paavi!!!! said...

ur rite, chennai has a soul, adooda slow paced life, somebri shopkeepers who open shops at 12noon ellam,
apporam anda tea kadas, which are open till absurd hours(some all night too)
and ofcourse the culture in chennai, music season,mylapore etc
enga ponalum, home is alwarpet\mylapore chennai dhan!

Vani Viswanathan said...

paran and chakra sampath,

paran, name change?? well, yeah, these things are there, but their existence somewhat gives me the comfort of those times long ago (!). but anyways, i do think we have to some extent moved out successfully of some problems!

f e r r a r i and harish,
yay!! ;)
chennai rocks!!

kaps,
you're in singapore?? oh...let's do our slight mourning about the tix prices, then! extravagant! hmph!!!!

Vani Viswanathan said...

phobiac,
thanks!!! :)

vivhyd,
u from DAV? aaha, we can form a small DAV bloggers community! btw, what does altgh mean? :)

vatsan,
chennai??? slow paced life??? kidding, right? i think our pace of life is just below bombay's....all major shops open by 9 30 or so, don't they? unlike b'lore where people themselves wake up only by 9!! :P

Vani Viswanathan said...

there's just crazy thunder, lightening and rain in this stupid place!!!! aaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!

Vani Viswanathan said...

ohh i meant singapore, of course!

ada-paavi!!!! said...

pondy bazaar roadside shops open only by 12, but ppl wake up early, tea stall, murugan idly hsop, etc r full by 7 am!!
visit my blog for a few posts on madras,

Sheks said...

u're right.chennai rocks.

Vivhyd said...

vani... althgh .. is although .. :)

Peelamedu_bulls said...

Vaamaa minnal. U r one of the millions in town..who crib when u r here and miss when u r not here. I remember smeone saying..'when the chennai train enters basin bridge...oru vaasam mookai thulaikkum paarunga...adhaan chennai man vaasanai' . Excuse me! u call koovam stink as manvaasani? and u say U miss it. Umm...Sethu madathulle sethu...ungalai ellaam......vena Simbu rangukku dialogue varudhu.
Nalla iruknga...neenga mattum nalla irunga

Vani Viswanathan said...

vatsan,
visited your blog. super mylapore info! :)

sheks,
i know!!!!

vivhyd,
ahh...although....
DAV outside chennai, umm, ok!

peelamedu_bulls,
first, thanks for dropping by.
now what in this post gave you even a notion that i crib about the city when i'm there? maybe it's not all that right to say what 'someone' said and generalise everyone else into a kind of category.
Simbu range-ukku dialogue varadhunnu solreengale, may i know if there's sth from your part that you're doing to keep our city well? so that you can also be 'nalla irunga'?

Sandhya Ramachandran said...

hey busy ma... will mail and comment soon. Take care.
:)

Sandhya Ramachandran said...

hey busy ma... will mail and comment soon. Take care.
:)

ada-paavi!!!! said...

incase u didnt know august 22 is madras day (madras found panna nal,its 376 yrs old)and post pannirukken ada patthi.

Unknown said...

super super...Chennai vaazhga :)

DAV-la padichu edhayum face pannalam..coreeta sonna :)

~phobiac~ said...

"DAV-la padichu edhayum face pannalam"

nejamaava ?...innum yengalamaathiri aalungala paakalanu nenaikaren....

and hey wish u a great madras week !!

Vani Viswanathan said...

sandhya,
ennavo! engalayellam nyabagam vechunda seri! :P

vatsan,
thanks a lot for that info! happy b'day chennai!!! i doubt if anyone in chennai knows this info?

praveen,
chennai-ku oru O podalam!!!

phobiac,
DAV's influence has become nullified in your case coz you changed school. praveen LKG lerndhu anga padichurkaan, naan konja varsham miss panniten ;)

Krish said...

Chennaiyil
enna illai?

:-)

Peelamedu_bulls said...

Ammani..ennai asingamaa ketta vaarthaiyaala thitti irundhaa kooda naan pheel panni irukka maaten. But you compared me wid chimbu.......sob sob..naan tharkolai pannika poren. Adhukku kaaranam http://chennaigalwrites.blogspot.com/ nnu yeludhi vachu saaga poren.

Anyway Chennai is much better than Bang or Calcutta ..but needs to improve !

Vani Viswanathan said...

thennavan,
yeah...chennai-la ellamey irukku!

peelamedu_bulls,
hey....you only said 'simbu range-ukku dialogue varudhu' appram enna naan compare pannennu solreenga?? pannikardho tharkolai...idhula enna vera maativida pakareengala? :P

Anonymous said...

The most comprehensive A R Rahman Fans club

www.arrahmanfans.com

Wetfingers said...

DAVIAN here, yu got thru to NUS?? anyways thank you for your blogs, is there one on ayn rand???

Anonymous said...

what