Block!

, , 12 comments
Projects...sigh! As much as I love my course and the projects that I have to do, it does get on my nerves at times when I struggle like Atlas under a world which meant only projects for many weeks.
Right now, my mind is desperately crying to get away from my computer desk and get out. How much of it I can fulfil, I don't know. That's why a break - to blog.

Just can't help smiling thinking of the debates I took part in recently, one on my birthday when I almost made a fool of myself too.
Debates in school had been so dumb, with topics given a week in advance, and people coming in with prepared speeches in papers, and no on-the-spot questioning allowed. A really stupid policy; feel like going and telling my teachers it's not doing anything to make the students debaters.

Not that I love debating that much; I'm more of a public speaker, and do better with making eye contact with all the people in the room, and making an earnest attempt at connecting to them and make them accept and enjoy what I'm talking. Eye contact isn't really necessary in debates, and whenever I debate (that's rare!), I have some difficulty trying not to look at the person whose points I'm trying to rebut.

So when I saw a proper debate in university for the first time, I was awed: it would be too good for my course, I thought, with all the critical and on-the-spot thinking that it required. So I even enlisted for selections in the univ's team. Didn't make it, though. I made quite a mess of things in a debate with a motion on banning smoking in public places (ha! I don't even remember it properly!). I was stumped when the first speaker in the opposite team contextualised the topic such that I, the one to go after him, had nothing very valid to offer. I managed to spill some related words out of my mouth for two minutes and got back thoroughly irritated.
The next topic was funny: "This house would legalise prostitution". I heard it and laughed, which made the senior debate member whose team I was in, pretty pissed. "What's there to laugh about? You're not a kid!" Oh boy, I didn't laugh for the topic. I laughed because my dreams of getting into the squad were over.

Good thing I didn't get through, though. I can only shudder now thinking of what would have happened if I had gotten through: a very hectic course and regular debate sessions which required a good deal of reading up. Whew!

Now I just stick to attending the inter-school debate contests held annually. They turn out to be good fun, actually. I remember the first time I saw some people raise Points of Information (POIs) and tried hard to control my laughter. To put it simply, it's somewhat like how some singers (ideally with a harmonium in the front) put a hand to their ear and stretch the other hand (when they sing). :) POIs are when they have something to ask the speaker.
The way a POI is dismissed is by saying "not now madam/sir" or "later" or whatever the individual speaker wants to say that clearly says 'sit down.'

Some occasions when you think the speaker has made some sensible point, you say "hear, hear."
So my most recent debate was on my birthday. I, as usual, was talking with my intonations, moving back and forth and occasionally looking at the opposition member and then remembering not to.
One friend on the opposition side was irritating me because she had some POI to raise for almost every other sentence I spoke.
"Later, ma'am." I said "Later, ma'am" I had to keep repeating (ha! Doesn't that show what a good debater I am!?).

I was so busy waving my hand asking anyone who raised POIs to sit down, so much that I knew even before the person stood up with the pandit gesture. ;)
Looks like accidentally I dropped out some sensible sentence.
"hear, hear.." said the friend who kept raising POIs.
"Later, ma'am," I said immediately, mechanically.
P.S.: My team came third in that round. But I was really happy: for the first time in my debating history, I had spoken for the entire 7 minutes allotted and took a POI! :)

12 comments:

Harish said...

put me on a stage in front of ppl, and I'd die of a heart attack right there. Painfully shy with extreme stagefright. bad combo.

Harish said...

Legalising Prostitution...Cmon yaar..
Stupid idiots..They do this bcoz they cant have a topic on legalizing criminals holding office...as it happens in Bihar :-)

Krish said...

If you were a good arguer at home (like I was), debating would be no big deal. In fact the way I used to argue with my parents, my dad used to tell me that I am better off spending my energies towards becoming a lawyer :-)

~phobiac~ said...

hey...great !...debates !!

know something....back in schol.......we had a debate about something....really dont remember...a guy from the other team and i fought....yeah....!...then the next year my princi cancelled the debates and had oratoricals instead....and guess what...the debate was back up...after I left the school that is... !!

~phobiac~ said...

and ...hey....Legalising Prostitution ??!!...

whats there to debate...?!?...

I mean...it shudn't be....yeah like u belive me...!

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish,
lol....

ohmykadavule,
ennadhu? anyways u shd be careful when you talk to me!

harish2,
hmm...it's not thaaaat bad a topic....i debated for the topic, well, i think we did have some solid points to argue!

Vani Viswanathan said...

thennavan,
same pinch! :P my dad keeps saying the same thing, that i should become a lawyer because i argue so much with them!!

phobiac,
hehe...ur adirshtam avalo daan...and abt the topic..guess that's the whole idea behind debating? as in, making you debate for things you strongly are against!

Hopeful Indian said...

Debating is enjoyable only if it is on the spur of the moment...ok maybe 10 mins kudukalam prepare pannarathukku. I think the rebuttals to argument is the best part sometimes with ppl straying far from whatever they planned to say and then ending up with foot in the mouth when someone lands a really good argument back. One of the debate contests I participated in had a round robin turn where 1st you delivered your opinion on the topic and in the 2nd round, replied to arguments by others. Chal...If you like computer problem cartoons check them out at my blog http://www.sillygloop.blogspot.com Categorized cartoons: http://spaces.msn.com/members/sillygloop/

Have a nice day. C'ya!
Vijay

Art said...

I can argue a lot in front of family n friends.. but on stage... naaaa... i would become dumb...

radiantbear said...

Congrats that you somehow managed through. Talking about eye contacts I think its important!! the first time I went on stage the judges where trying to make me feel out of place with thier guestures because they cud pretty well make out I was totally down.. but then in my laters stages I leanrt how to use facial expresions and eye contact to mean I was talking bussiness.. and that really did pay.

But the topic for debate weird I should say!!

Cheers,

NANYAAR?

P.s - Never show ure not ready or ure nervous!!

Vani Viswanathan said...

vijay krishnan,
yup, they give us 15 mins to prepare.
and some people tell me the best to answer a POI that confuses you is to say 'i'll come to your point later, ma'am' haven't really used this, though. :)

art,
hehe, guess u have a good friend in harish!

nanyaar,
hahah, i've become an expert in hiding nervousness! and i make good eye contact as well, but doesn't seem like debating requires eye contact with the other speakers!

Sandhya Ramachandran said...

I thot the POI bit was super funny! Congrats Vans 4 the third place!!! :)