Ed in co-ed

, , 21 comments
I was in a co-ed school only till my class 5. While many say I missed out on a lot of fun without being in a class with guys after that, I think we girls did have fun in our own way. But in this post, I just want to talk about some of my 'boy' classmates I had in primary school.

Even when I was in kindergarten, I ended up fighting with many little guys. One of them especially (I think he was called Manoj), drove me mad. This chap always used to steal my lil' cutely shaped erasers (cycles, humans, etc. , the cycle being my favourite!). He ultimately even stole my cycle eraser and returned it after pulling its wheels and handlebar apart. What remained of the eraser, I don't know, but I'll never forgive him for damaging my cute cycle.

In my new school guys were a bit better. There was one who was great at drawing dinosaurs and the Ninja Turtles. This guy would also be a great source of entertainment for the class. During the lunch break, all of us would quickly gobble our food and hide under the benches, waiting for this guy to 'hunt' us out. He was especially good at moving just like a dinosaur (Oh, Jurassic Park had released just then!) and shouting like one. Though he kept us occupied during lunch hours, I hated him because he was one of the two people in class I had to compete with for the first rank.

When I was in class 3, there was once this rowdy from another section (!) who pinched me so hard my hand began to bleed. This happened in the school grounds and 2 'senior' boys from class 4 who saw the 'incident' made sure they reported to his class teacher and came back to tell me that he was punished :). Funny!!

I soon changed my school again and this time, there was more trouble. Unlike in my previous school, this school had benches where only two people could sit. And my first bench mate was a troublesome boy. Gosh, how much I hated him! He used to take pencil shavings and draw 'boundaries' in the bench to define our 'territories' and would yell at me if my hand went into his 'territory' during writing. He tortured me, poor little new student me, until some fellow classmates took pity and requested the class teacher to change my benchmate. Boy, I shall always be thankful to those guys! :)

The new benchmate was a very nice guy, a tad too fat, though. The first time he came to sit in my bench, he sat with such a thud that the ink pen I was writing with fell down and the nib was broken. Though I was really thin that time, I did need some space to sit and he really did not give me much choice than to dangle somewhere in the edge of the seat and hold on to some chunk of wood to prevent myself from falling down. So this guy defined territories unconsciously.

Well, my benchmate was changed soon, and this time it was a girl, and a really nice one. By the time I could revel in the happiness of getting a new benchmate, school was over. And from the next year, I would be in an all girls class, and the beginning of understanding how much (more) fun an all-girls class could be! Yes, of course, I don't have a standard to compare it with, but it has been awesome! :)

21 comments:

Unknown said...

hehe...DAV dhaaney andha two bench school, indha defining territories sangathi ellam naangalum paathirukkom, comedy-a irukkum :)

And i never used to sit near gals...mam ponnu pakkathula poi okkara sonna please please solli irukkara edathulaye settle aagiduvaen...but cha...eppo naan okkaranum aasai pattaeno appo boys wing-ku thallitaanga!! x(

Vani Viswanathan said...

prav,
DAV-ey daan...cha, theriyama ipdi oru loosu pasanga padikara school-ku vandhu matinten!
>>cha...eppo naan okkaranum aasai pattaeno appo boys wing-ku thallitaanga!! x(
paavi, unna pathi theriyadha!? ;)

Vijay Ramamurthi said...

good one :),

Anonymous said...

we used to draw boundaries on a 4 bencher.... and gals....eeeks... bein a shy guy, i never wanted to go close to anyone.... and that was in primary school..

when my opinions changed twas too late :(

Anonymous said...

lol

Chakra said...

thats a good recap.

drawing boundaries.. hmmm... would i ever forget my desk neighbour who took out a blade and tore off a portion of my notebook coz my notebook entered his territory. :)

~phobiac~ said...

ah...I was in DAV till 7th..apparum gurls illaama bore...adikkave..school change !..

aiyoo...ponnunga panna torture yengalukku thaan theriyum..chinnatha adichaale....waaa-no crying...waste-u..

hey Happy diwaali !!

Anonymous said...

Somehow this entry reminds me of my schooling days too. I like my tamil teacher whose a male rather than my female tamil teacher. :D

Anyways, I like the cycle eraser bit. It's funny.

Have fun and Happy Deepavali.

Vani Viswanathan said...

vijay r,
thanks!

a,
yean unnayum boys' school-ku thallitangala? ;)

vidya,
:)

Vani Viswanathan said...

chakra sampath,
ayyo, danger! lol...

phobiac,
i c....ponnunga thiruppi adicha summa irupiya...edhukku veena sandai-nu daan azha aramichurpanga!

thewoman,
never had male teachers in my entire school life...

Anonymous said...

Hey Vani, Boundaries in the benches happens all the time :)

Hey its always fun to be at a all girls school especially when a boys school very near

I enjoyed every bit of my school life and the best friends I have now are from my school

kavya

Sheks said...

i used to feel rather lonely.since i was the tallest in the class,i used to be chucked to the last row with noone for company.things changed only after 3rd std when two lofty guys joined me.

Vani Viswanathan said...

hiren,
i really can't follow your comment: if current students(who?) knew what?

kavya,
;) sure it was fun to be in a girls' school wid a boys' wing nearby and all functions of the two schools happening together in our school!! :P sigh, those were the times!!

sheks,
adaan you got bench mates in class 3, right? i'm sure you loved sitting in the last bench after class 9?!

Anu said...

hahaha..had a nice laugh!! Hey who is that guy who pulled of lakshmi maam's chair in Sankara?? :p..

Vani Viswanathan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vijay Ramamurthi said...

Iniya deepavali nalvaazhthukkal :)

~phobiac~ said...

hey...wish u a sweet and explosive diwali !!

Sheks said...

re:anupama's comment

which sankara do u mean?the one 2 adyar or tiruvanmiyur?

Krish said...

Happy Deepavali Vani :-)

Vani Viswanathan said...

vijay r and phobiac,
thanks!! wish you a happy diwali too!!

sheks,
adyar, we studied there.

thennavan,
thank you! wishin you a happy diwali too!! :)

யாத்à®°ீகன் said...

whew !! that was wonderful memory recap..

-
செந்தில்/Senthil