Oh mahasiyaaa (ozhunga solluda!) :D

, , 22 comments
Yes, a number of things!
First, wish you all a happy Diwali!! A tad late, yeah, but never mind, hope you all had a nice day!!
Second, sound three cheers: this is my 75th post! :)

I watched Ghajini sometime back...and the background score for the movie sent me into peals of laughter. Random noises getting characteristic of Harris Jeyaraj: Bozo Zulo...oh my god! =)
I really can't understand what's with all these guys who make wierd noises in the name of background music!

When A.R.Rahman started out, there were a number of people who were criticising and making fun of him for introducing such 'noises': but dammit, his sure make much more sense than these zulos and habibiyas!! (Yeah, like I'll ever give up on Rahman! :) )
The thing with Rahman's 'noises' are that nobody can make out that what they are supposed to be: have any of you been successful in deciphering what the background in Mudalvan that comes whenever Arjun does something revolutionary means?! I haven't!
HJ tried something of this sort in Anniyan. And the result, needless, was extremely funny. Praveen had done an awesome job in finding it out and posting it in his blog! :) Do check out his blog if you want to know what it is... ;)

Another such example is from Vaseegara from Minnale. The female humming was awfully funny. When I had to learn that humming bit for a performance, I had great difficulty controlling my laughter as my friend patiently told me what the 'words' are: Iska ilaa ilaa othaailaa... Gosh, cannot make it!

Other examples include Habibiya Ilgae yathanehan (whatever!).
Kudos to all the music directors for managing to fit in such crap into their songs and movies. Another thing to be appreciated is the tunes are nice: maybe they should try to get some words which should make sense: like Shakalaka or Boom Boom by Rahman.

And guys who go about saying Rahman's rap sucks, puhleeez..... check out 'Unakku salsa, enakku jalsa' in the Remo song in Anniyan. It kept me in splits. Rahman (or rather Blaze's) rap is just too good compared to these!

Finally, no, I'm not trying to pull down efforts of these guys. They do give us some awesome pieces of music, and though it's difficult for them to match Rahman's standards, they do a great job! (ahem, listen to the music expert talking!)

22 comments:

Winson said...

Hey Buddy

cool template

Congratz on ur 75 too

cheers

JB said...

hey..first time here..cool post..even i've wondered lotta times abt the crap which comes in between some songs...!

Anu said...

hey congrats on a cool 75!! :)

Harish said...

indha post-kaagaye unakku treat tharalaam nenachaen.. but 75th post! nee thaan tharanam-nu vittutaen!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hehehe... that was funny.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your 75th post :-)

Keep going..

Cheers :-)

Vani Viswanathan said...

winson,
thanks! :)

jb,
welcome! yeh, crap! ;)

anu,
thanks ya!

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish,
venda venda...neeye inda post kaaga treat kudu....that's a bigger thing to celebrate! :D

thewoman,
:) thanks!

vidya,
thanks! it took me 11 months to write 75 posts! :|

Harish said...

hee hee...
idukku ivalavu kashtapaatu aaraichi seyyara alavukku ungalukku neram irukka enna????

Sheks said...

platinum jubilee.treat kudu!
didnt "zulo....bozo" remind u of curses' pet dog?

Sheks said...

hey even i studied in sankara adyar.frm 1995 to 1998.

Vinesh said...

I think ANYBODY who introduces funny stuff is amusing, Rahman or Harris!

I am not for including crap in songs, but background music.. thats fine :-) One example I can think of is the blabbering that goes on in the BGM immediately after Aravind Samy marries Manisha in the movie Bombay! :-)

Juvenile Delinquent said...

I heard sometime that those words in Mudhalvan which you can't make out are from Sanskrit or something... ;)

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish,
who needs to actually sit and listen to these if music's on most of the day around? thaana kadhula vizhum! ;)

sheks,
treat daane? kudutha pochu! yeah, right! bozo is harish's dog's name! :D
and i studied in shankara adyar from '93 to '96.

Vani Viswanathan said...

vinesh,
hmm...yeah...but being a bigger rahman fan, i think his BGMs are better, whether the words are funny or not! besides, you can't understand the blabbering in his music whereas they're awfully funny in HJ's! ;)

deepak,
Hi!!! long time!
sanskrit? lol....i thought i can understand sanskrit all this while....shucks, you're making me think twice~! ;)

Ramya Shankar said...

Gr8 goin with ur 75!! I'm not anti-Rahman but I still can think of some non-familiar musical sounds in his compositions too. Otherwise..it seems like these days usage of words that ppl cant understand is an expression of the lyricist's creativity...lol

~phobiac~ said...

treat treat treat treat treat treat treat treat treat treat treat .....

taaram taram taram...tantantantan tatatataan...taram taram taram...tantantantan tatatataan....aahhh...toppi toppi toppi ..... ( that was my BGM)

Vani Viswanathan said...

ramya,
welcome!! creativity, haha!
but i don't know who adds these words, but it's surely better than some other crap we hear in the name of lyrics!

phobiac,
SURE! :)
unga bgm super-a irukkey!

vJ,
yeah, some lyrics make me think this senseless humming is better than the words that fill the songs!

Keshi said...

Though I like Surya very much :) I didnt like Gajini much...a bit too unrealistic..

AR.Rahman is a good singer...I went to his LIVE show in Sydney...

Keshi.

Vani Viswanathan said...

keshi,
yeah....i didn't find anything that's there to go wow! about, in the movie...
and rahman, oh, he's god! :D

Praveen said...

hi chennai gal,
Tht was a gr8 article 2 read....me too was wondering wat the hell does those words in ghajini mean...harris is kinda doin the same theme music for every movie...chkout ghajini, anniyan and thotti jeya....
nice article.....and gud to find tht u r a die hard fan of arr.....me tooooo is one ......
chkout my article on arrahman's 2005 in my blog
http:\\crusadertvm.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi,

thank you Vani for praising our (sri Lankan) men. Feeling proud, cos I'm a Sri Lankan.

:-)