The old lady

, , 23 comments
The old lady who cleans my floor bathrooms really made many of my mornings bad. I wished I could go on with my day without seeing her, but it seemed to be impossible. Most of my classes start before 9 30, and hence I always find myself running into her whenever I want to bathe.

It is quite a silly thing, I could’ve just gone on, ignoring it, but increasingly it was getting impossible to ignore.
The old lady mumbled something to herself every time she saw me.
Me, an Indian.
And it is not just me; it was the same thing with another Indian friend of mine who lived on the same floor. We noticed that every time she saw us, anywhere, she would start yelling in Chinese.
After some other case studies of Indian girls, we decided that she was doing this only with us, Indians. We concluded that she was being racist.
And now that we knew she was mumbling (I know she was swearing in Chinese!) only with us, it made us more irritated, and me with a higher degree of temper, fuming. I had to get it out of my system, somehow.

There was one fine day when I had my semester’s most-important presentation. I had to make sure I was in a fine mood all day, and not get myself excited or anxious over anything. I convinced myself to be calm, as I knew any slight tension in me would ruin my presentation.
I went to have a bath. As soon as I entered the bathroom, I unfortunately met the old lady. As expected, she started cursing. I decided to be nice; I smiled and said “Good morning!” This made her enraged. She began yelling even more.

I decided enough was enough.
I had a bath quickly and came out and stood face-to-face with her.
Again, she raised her pitch and started shouting even more.
I took a deep breath.

“Ei patti, ozhunga un velaiya pathundu po! Naan onna enna pannen….kezhavi! edhukku nee ipdi panra unakku kozhuppu romba jasthi! Oru naal na poi office la sonnadaan nee adanguve!”

It was a long sentence and I had spoken without even pausing for breath. I was panting. But strangely, I felt extremely happy. I would have never dreamed of saying this to some poor old lady, but this one did deserve it. Now I had cursed her back and she would be wondering what I said, just like I do when she yells at me. I was happy that I was not upset for doing so (keeping in mind my presentation).

The lady glared at me. I glared back, my eyes full of spite.
She began talking.
“Office-la poi solliduva? Vamba velaikku vangadha..”
My heart stopped beating for one micro second.
I opened my mouth to speak and it went dry.
I finally managed to get some syllables out of my mouth.
“Tha-tha…thamizh!” was all I could say.
The old lady gave a wicked grin and nodded. I ran out of the bathroom right away.

“Oh My God!! What have I done”, was running in my mind all the time. I quickly pulled myself together, prayed to God and apologised to Him, and made off to school.
There one of my Singaporean friends told me that many of the oldest generation in Singapore could speak all the three languages here: Mandarin, Malay and Tamil. Gosh, I was stunned and ashamed.
The next time I saw the old lady, I apologised. This time she smiled back. Soon, she even stopped cursing.
And what had I intended by yelling back at her in Tamil!!

P.S.: Again, fiction only. The ladies who have cleaned around my rooms are very nice and we even have little chit-chats often!! ;) But one old Chinese woman did give me the creeps one day in a bus stop when she commented about my black hair.. in Tamil!!!

23 comments:

K said...

same incident happeend to me..I was with a friend of mine who always comment about things. We went to a indian grocery shop in US to buy rice. we were standing in the line for billing it and my friend said "entha arusi la kallu erukum ethayen vangara ..anda kallu eduthu evan thalai la vidu kattu" the cashier who was a northindian immediately commented enga arusi la kallu erukathu..we were shocked and then he told us he is from chennai. That guy learnt a good lesson. very embarassing moment in my life

Anu said...

hahaha..Sissy, you rock! :D..

S m i t h a said...

LOL. good one!
last night, me & my roomie were in a hotel and were commenting in tamil about a cute girl sitting all alone next to us assuming she wont understand anything. when we left, we noticed she was smiling like she understood everything...we ran away like we could win olympic gold!

Anonymous said...

Looks are deceptive ;-) i remember an incident where my brother and me were cursing this Surd, in tamil for coming home during dinner time and very politely before he left he came up to us and apologised in tamil...i nearly had a heart attack then...lol..

Cheers :-)

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

hehehe nice story.....
excellent narration
aama antha paati ithukku m unnadi enna sonnanga?

Harish said...

Oops...some horrible experience
An alien always remains an alien..

Vani Viswanathan said...

kavya,
hehe...all you can do is sheepishly grin at the person! (or probably run out as 'i did' ;) )

t raj,
is it?! oh i never knew that!! thanks for the info :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

anu,
i know! i rock!! :P

s m i t h a,
(rolling eyes) maybe you shd be happy she just smiled and didn't do anything worse! ;)

Vani Viswanathan said...

vidya,
oh my god! lol!!

rsubras,
thanks! :)
>>aama antha paati ithukku m unnadi enna sonnanga?
chinese-la ya? :| no idea, therinjukama irukardhu nalladhu! :P

harish,
cycle gap la unga comment vandudchu, it wasn't there when i opened the page to reply! :D

Harish said...

good one! idha padama edutha I'd change the kezhavi's dialogue to "thirumbi paarkaama odi poidu".. :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish,
lol.. :D
byangra sinister-aa paati-ya kamippa polarkey! haha

Jagan said...

i have got bulbified like this by a french guy in Thanjavur periya kovil . i saw him standing at the entrance of temple with his shoes on ..i thgt i had inform him tht he is not supposed to walk in with the shoes..tht guy replied back in tamil saying that he knew it ..apporam thaan therinjuthu he has been in pondicherry for long nu ..semma bulb .

Vani Viswanathan said...

:D
periya bulb daan!
you do get completely taken aback if some foreigner speaks tamil!!

Anonymous said...

A good one. I liked it.

Sushil said...

Hi have been reading your posts for a while now. Found this hilarious thought it could also be a bit embarassing. I take great care to not yell at anyone in Malayalam just in case they know it and can yell back :-).

~phobiac~ said...

ok...following the "it also happened to me" string....

well at office I have to share my cube with two other....one a guy frm my project....then one day a girl takes the other place....me and my friend really trying to find something to start the conv...

then she goes out and we hit ctrl+alt+del and check her login name....some bengali last name....and when she came we were like talking about rosgullas....milk sweets and calcutta and stuff....me struggling with my hindi....after a month shez in to my proj and guess what..shez been in chennai from age 3...and speaks madras tamil better than me !

யாத்à®°ீகன் said...

:-)))) kelambitaangaya kelambitangaya.. evlo paer ipdi eluthitu kadaiseela, chumma.. damaasu-nu soluveenga ;-)

anyhow.. padika poludhu pogudhu :-))

when i was in Cal, our tamil gang used to name everyone and we used to address them with it.. and it was fun...(thnk god we didnt get caught till the end ;-)

Vani Viswanathan said...

thewoman,
thanks! :)

sushil,
Hi! Actually there is one woman elsewhere like this who keeps yelling at any indian she sees, in chinese...so one day my friends and i were thinking what would happen if we yelled back at her in our respective indian languages... this plus the fact that i met an old chinese lady who talked to me in tamil made the story!

Vani Viswanathan said...

phobiac,
lol....edukku inda anavasya hindi talk ellam, ozhunga tamil-la pesalam illa?! :D bulb aavadhu konjam intensity kuranjurkum! ;)

yathrigan,
dhoda!
if i don't give a p.s. like this at the end of my story, the first ever comment everyone writes is 'i know it happened to you' or 'it's your true experience, right?' kind of questions, which i sometimes find seriously irritating. :)
good, for a change you have an experience where you didn't get caught! ;)

Hopeful Indian said...

Paati solla thattathe :)
Have a nice weekend!
Vijay

Srinivas said...

Hi there will be blogger's meet in chennai on 27th Nov'05 at 5PM.

Vani Viswanathan said...

vijay krishnan,
hehe..thanks!

vJ,
oh yes, it happens! ;)

senthil,
hmmm? idhenna pudusa oru proverb-a?

karan,
great! but where?

Anonymous said...

ha ha great :-).Nejammave thamizh aa irunthu iruntha nalla vaangi irupe ;) .Somehow could not resist saying in tamil :-)