Random grouses on a Monday morning

, , 10 comments

My eyes burn and I despair at the phenomenon called ‘Monday’, of the start of the working week, of the pain of waking up early, going to work, and living through another week.

It’s been a good 9 months since I started working, and Mondays are still not something I can come to terms with. Why do I have to work, I wonder, and what’s the point? And this stretches into deeper, unfathomable ponderings about why we invented so many things, when all we need are the basic food, clothing and shelter, and ok, hospitals – which means there should only be four kinds of jobs in the world – farming, weaving, construction and medicine – why are there THIS MANY jobs and kinds of things to do – stretching from banks to Public Relations and advertising and insurance? How did the world become this complicated? Why did it grow so big that we need trains to get from one place to another and engineers to design those trains and how they run and architects to build those stations and technicians to run them? Why did people start earning so much and have the concept of ‘money’ that we needed banks, which finally grew so enormously shady and everything and ended up ‘lending’ money and now owning what we call ‘toxic assets’. Why did we have to start manufacturing the same soap across hundreds of countries and sit and plan the numbers of these soaps that have to be produced? And why did these companies have to so LARGE that they all need machines to do their calculations supervised by humans, and have humans write codes to run these machines? And me, as a ‘Public Relations professional’, help all these organizations deal with these changes and help maintain/form a good impression for the company among the people’s minds.

Gosh, when did things take such a complicated turn?

Pardon the random musings of the Chennai gal on a bright Monday morning, but writing things like this helps me get ‘closure’ (I’m using this word very often these days, I realize, and what’s more interesting is ‘closure’ is only temporary for me) and get practical about the fact that despite all my thinking and philosophical exercise to the mind, these things still happen, we still slog, work day in and out, earn money, spend and do other things that we hope compensate for the fact that we have little/no life, and spend our long-awaited-weekends doing more things that help console us about the sad truth that ever since we turned 3, we have lost the simple pleasures of life. Excuse me, the phone rings, work beckons.

P.S.: This rambling took all of ten minutes, but now I'm charged, and ready to face the week!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that i am not the only one suffering from a bout of the monday blues ..... doesnt it seems that the weekend just whizzes by at breakneck speed unlike the rest of the working week .... believe einstein's theory of relativity is at work here ......

skullz said...

I guess I need to send your blog url to each of my freinds. They all suffer from Monday blues.. For me I have always been in the quest to live life differently, away from the daily office affairs ... But I am sure to return back .. confused.. I lovve your rambling and the examples you've chosen- the soap and PR thing, too cool .. :)

Unknown said...

world hasn't become complex suddendly... it always has been like that. now its you who moved towards that's side of it. if you don't believe me- ask your local autowala, local shop guy,.. sure s/he will have their own problem but i bit s/he understanding will limit thinking thus problems. ignorance is bliss.

what you need to think is about perspective, priorities, and relatively who you are among your circle of friends & family!?

those few of us in middle-world; who cannt be saint-like understanding not influenced by daily reality or be ignorant enough not to think(too-much), enlightment is having more fun days then not, doing something interesting most of time then not,..

life is meant be fun but not meant to be easy & simple.

i blame Monday for your thinking...i bit you wannt get such thoughts on friday evening.;)

Ranajay said...

I'm pretty sure there's an alien race out there, watching us with their telescopes and laughing their asses off at the way humans have chosen to live.

Studying since birth, when we don't wanna study...only to work our asses off till we die,when we don't wanna work.

Anonymous said...

Thats a brilliant thought process.. often me wonders, if i better knew to farm and weave... making my own food and clothing, cave in some where, and lay back with no clue of its a monday or saturday... but lookingat the panicking beings in skyscrapers and behind the wheels, sweating insider their tuxs... will i be happy that i'm not all that... or regret that i dont have all that !

its complicated... agreed !

Anonymous said...

Hi,

First of all, after reading out your blog what came into my mind was that.. well ofcourse each and everyone has to go through the rumblings and mumblings of what life has to offer upon us. It all depends on how we take it, thats it. Alright, lets say if you wanna stop doing all the things.. like work and anything which involves physical activity, or mental activity, then you think zindagi rocks? no way..

So we need to face all this and thats part and parcel of life. Hope you get what I meant.

Vani Viswanathan said...

Dante,
Damn, it's 5 pm Sunday already! :(

Skullz,
You've escaped the blues?

yuva,
True about the Friday part! ;)

Ranajay,
Shucks, we're entertainment!

Gerard,
I guess just farming/weaving would be too much too - you ever watched the Bee movie? We might end up like the protagonist in the movie: 'What if I want to do something other than making honey?'

ramnarayan,
Who ever said I wanted to stop doing what I'm doing? I'm totally loving it... but these grouses - I'm sure you'll understand when you're in the working force someday - that's assuming you aren't, right now. And if you're one of those that don't feel the blues on Monday, I must say you're lucky! Perspective and everything is good, but sometimes it's fun to track back and think of an alternative world too!

Anonymous said...

hell .... it's another blue monday again .... didnt even notice the weekend .... i need a extended break ... been fantasizing of taking a extended leave of absence to backpack across the continent of europe ..... anybody wanna join me ?????

Anonymous said...

Hey - Am sorry, relax cool chill.. didnt mean to say that you have to stop doing what you do. Yeah, ofcourse & obviously there has to be grouses and you have such a creative mindset that you have put it to writing. Wish I could do so. Wrong assumption Ms.Vani Vishwanathan. I am in the workforce since April 14th, last year. Just a contract job as Environmental Health Officer for the National Environment Agency. This March end my contract comes to an end, have sent an appeal letter to the HR side, and awaiting for their reply. And I aint lucky. I really do feel monday blues even much stronger than the rest of the world I presume. Because, see today is monday, just for Oscars I took mc from hougang polyclinic. And now in hougang library. 3rd floor in houngang mall. Yeah, correct about what all you said. I can see here two Indian race girls in the multimedia section of the library and wondering whether that could be you..

;-)

Kishan said...

>>writing things like this helps me get ‘closure’.

Spoken like a true PR professional :)