Troubles buzzing around....

, , 8 comments
So bored....Can't actually believe I was eagerly waiting for this break. But it's sure fun to laze away when your daily planner is filled with work. That's just what the break is for!

As I desperately try to push in 'Interpersonal Communication' concepts into my head: Self concept, Reflected Appraisal and blah, I hear this buzz around somewhere.

Ugh, not again. Insects somehow seem to swarm around in my room a lot (yeah, swarm is an exaggeration, I'd die if they actually did!). Initially, I used to let out a gasp (or rather a muffled scream so that my room mate doesn't wake up or get startled to find me screaming at a vicious bug crawling on the floor!) and run to fetch my broom and be nice and sweep it out, alive, hale and healthy.

One month of stay in this room (and my room mate's lessons ;) ) has taught me what to do. The first time I found bugs in my room I wasn't really bothered. They are everywhere, and it's nothing abnormal that I occasionally find one or two buzzing aound. But when they exceeded their permitted frequency of arrival into my room, I of course had to take notice.

There was one fine night when after long hours of work, I finally went to start sleeping.
Buzzz.....
I tossed around and covered my ears with a pillow, thinking maybe it's something coming from someone's room.
Buzzz...
I shut both my ears with two pillows.
Buzzzz....
This was it.
I got up and switched the light on. I was cursing whatever or whoever it was (Umm, people don't really buzz but at that state of mind, I couldn't really use the reasoning faculties of my mind!). I looked about the room, as I was soon awake enough to conclude that it was some insect. And there it was, buzzing happily about my room's ceiling light!I was wild with anger. "Damn you, stupid bee!!" I yelled, as though it would understand. Yes, I was still not awake enough to realise that yelling wouldn't help.

Then an idea. I went and opened the door. It could fly out! I smiled, and waited for that bee to go out and enjoy with dimmer yellow lights in the corridor.

My room mate just walked in.
"The bee," I said. "I've kept the door open so it can get out."
She smiled.
"So that it can go out and more come in?"
Oh yeah, I didn't think of it, she has a point there.

"Just turn the light off, it'll go," she said.
"Oh no, then it goes to the next light in the room that's on."
"That's better. Turn the big light off."
I did so.

The bee flew to the light under my shelf that's supposed to light up my work desk.
Oh god, it was now buzzing louder than when it was near the ceiling light.
My room mate picked up a newspaper and looked under the shelf.
Whack!
I freaked out. Last thing I need here is to pay for a broken tubelight!
"It's somewhere in between...I'll get it," she said.
Another two more whacks and the bee had enough sense to fly out away from the tubelight.
Damned bee, I thought, you atleast had that much sense. I silently thanked God the tubelight wasn't broken.

Now the bee went somewhere near her bed.
She picked up a tissue and edho keezha vizhunda saapada edukara maadiri she squashed the bee (I know, sorry for the comparison!)

I heaved a sigh of relief, though I felt sorry for the bee. But not too long.
Another one flew in soon, and again went to my shelf's tubelight.
I was furious. What the hell was wrong with my room?!
Same procedure repeated. Dead bees thrown out.

Soon I picked up the art. I was able to confidently deal with a damned cockroach that had somehow made its way into my room. After some seconds of running away from it, I decided to confront it. Some whacks later, with my heart pounding with terror and a sense of disgust, I felt slightly proud. I, I, who would jump up and run for shelter on some high platform if I spotted a cockroach on the floor, had actually killed one. Well, yeah, it's not a nice feeling when you just killed a life, I felt sorry for the dead cockroach, but what else could I do? Adhu adhu adhoda idathula irundha inda problem-ey varaadhu.

After dealing this way with insects, I was happy. That's one fear of mine almost wiped out. The other two still remain, though: horror movies and sudden loud noises.

Thankfully, this time the buzz wasn't in my room. It was on the corridor. That's a life spared, I thought, and thanked God He didn't lead me to be a cause for violence(!). And prayed that He be kind to the insects and keep them away from my own room with concern for their own safety.

P.S.: Sorry if anyone squirmed at any of my descriptions; I'm here, experiencing them, so thank your stars you're far away, safe, without any insects buzzing in the vicinity.
P.P.S.: In case there is some insect buzzing around, all I'll say is "It just takes two whacks... and it's history!"
And I can't add anymore postscripts, so I'm saying this plain: Please, I hate killing animals...but if they're this troublesome, I can't help it! :(

8 comments:

Ram said...

ellaam bhayamayam... :P - good job :D

Vijay Ramamurthi said...

itha ithan itha thaan ongaltendhu ethirpaathen

Harish said...

cha, ipadi oru kolaikaari enakku friend!! :)

~phobiac~ said...

hey Vani....herez and idea...used to do this when in college...

take a newspaper....cut it and make a square....spread oil over it....not take a string and fasten this paper spread with oil to ur TL.....now leave this light on and switch all the others off...the bee would go to that TL and get stuck to the oil paper...now remove the paper and throw it out...

ultimate technique....and the best thing is that it works !!!

and a 'hi' to ur friend who killed the bee !!...I like doing that too...

Sriram said...

Bee = two swats, what about snakes? (Um... me just curious :D)

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

how is it always that otherwise bold and brave girls fear for silly things like insects, cockroaches, spiders etc.,?

Strange...........

:) Friends and Friendies, When u have time visit my blog site too (mostly kadhai than vittiruppen, have not written any personal write ups)

http://rsubras.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Ayyayo..... ellarum odunga......
Kolakari vandhutta.....

how can u mercilessly kill insects...... that too paavam bees and cockroaches......

dont ask if i m a nonvegetarian...... i only eat dead chicken or goat or fish.....i dont kill them......

but killin insects...... omigod.... how can u be so cruel....

Sandhya Ramachandran said...

Hey mail kadachutha? Reply pannu...