The unknown

, , 25 comments
I checked my flight ticket.
23rd July, 0150.
"Yes, ma, it is tomorrow early morning. As in, today late night," I said.
My mom sighed.

I knew why: an early morning (late night, actually) flight. She was slightly discomforted by the thought of leaving me alone in the airport for about an hour before I could board the flight back.
"Oh, what if you fall asleep," she said, worried, every bit of anxiety apparent in her voice.
Well, I knew it was a very high possibility, but of course, admitting that would leave my mom sleepless.
"Of course, not...they'll keep announcing, and if it's a night flight, there will actually be people looking around and asking people if they have to take this particular flight," I said. I had no idea if there were any people like this in the Chennai airport.

The day went by so fast that I felt startled when I found myself in the airport, boarding pass in hand, talking to my parents as they stood on the other side of the grill. Dad's advices of spending wisely (not too much, but do what you want, keep an eye on the expenses, etc.) and mom's advices about eating properly everyday (whatever happens, never compromise on food) made me feel like jumping over that metal barrier and going back with them to stay there for just another day.
When the call for security check came, I told them goodbye. Mom held my hand and gave it an affectionate squeeze. "Take care, dear," she said.
Too scared that she might soon burst into tears, I quickly left the place.

As I went through the security screening, the guys in the counter who had checked my knapsack gave me odd looks as I collected it.
"Yeah, I have a bomb inside," I angrily muttered.
Mutt-heads.

I got into the flight. This would my first flight in any non-Indian carrier. The air hostesses, for a change, were young and pleasant, and not like some I had met before, who would make me think a lot before asking them for anything.

Soon came dinner time (or whatever meal that was). I was actually starving. I eagerly opened the salad that only had leaves, so neatly wrapped, in the food tray. And then opened the big box. A damp squib.
Non vegetarian food.
"Excuse me," I called to the hostess. "Can I have some vegetarian food, please?"
"Please wait, ma'am," she said and disappeared inside the veiled cabin.
She returned shortly.
"Ma'am, may I know what preference you had given in your ticket about the food?" she asked.

I was nonplussed. Food preference? I had no clue that this carrier had something like that. Then it struck me that my travel agent had not bothered to get that bit of detail from me when I booked the ticket.
"Umm..I don't think I mentioned any..."I said.
"I see...Well, ma'am, I am really sorry, but we ran out of veggie food trays. We are very sorry, but this has never quite happened before. Is there anything else I can get you?" she asked.

Damn, I thought.
Unpleasant first times happening with me.
"Yes, some of this salad, please," I said, pointing to that leafy mass in my tray.
"Sure ma'am, can I get you a drink?"

I sat staring at the detachable table. A glass of Coke, and two boxes of that leafy salad. Munching the last few bits of salad left, I felt bovine. These leaves were never getting in, they kept coming on how much ever I chewed. Damn them, I cursed.
I was reminded of home. How much I had fussed to eat idli or upma, I thought. I would even eat that rava upma I so hated, now. The hunger soon vanished.

The hostess was kind enough to later come and hand over a bun. I spread some butter and pushed it in.

The four-hour flight went by quick, thankfully. I didn't want to be the victim of anymore 'this is the first time' crap.

I finally reached my room. As none of my friends would be awake at this 'unearthly' 8 30 in the morning on a Sunday, I had to contend myself with unpacking and getting excited about the new stuff I had bought from the trip home.

The room had now come back to normal.
I reached for my knapsack and started emptying its contents. Mom had put in a lot of things in it. I smiled.
She had put in the jewellery box I had to refuse to take because of lack of space.
Mom, she can fit in anything, I thought.
There was some box I never remembered seeing before, when I was packing at home.
I opened it.
Then I realised why the security screening guys were glaring at me in their counter.

Inside the box were 4 idlis, with evenly spread molagai podi on them.
I smelled them. They had become spoilt.
With a heavy heart I threw them away.

P.S.: No, this is not a true story.

25 comments:

Sheks said...

i think this was ur experience of going to s'pore.

u shud have taken some sambhar or some coloured chutney.nalla vaasanai vanthurukkum.u shud have carried the idlis in ur shirt pocket.

Sheks said...

i think this was ur experience of going to s'pore.

u shud have taken some sambhar or some coloured chutney.nalla vaasanai vanthurukkum.u shud have carried the idlis in ur shirt pocket or in ur handbag.

Art said...

so sweet.. reminds me of the day when i was leaving for US.. Me n mom couldnt speak much... but i saw standing in one corner..trying to fight with the tears that were trying to come out of the eyes

Vani Viswanathan said...

sheks,
this was NOT my experience.

art,
:) guess all leaving stories are quite the same!

Sriram said...

Escoos me.. the part about non-vegetarian food happened to ME! worstest-u thing... I was so freakin pissed off with my travel agent for not putting in my preference(and I had told him too!)

Harish said...

naan veli ooruku pona idhellam aaguma? appo naan pogala!

Anonymous said...

very true bout how mom's always seem to have a way of fitting just about anything into the bag.. whew.. i wonder how though..

Cheers :-)

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

a blog well written...but it wud have been better had u written those closing comments (no, this is not a true story) in the beginning :). neway since I read it under the pretext it is a real story, everything mentioned about mom was touching

harish : veli oorukelam pona ippadi aagathu kanna.... veli naatukku pona than ippadi aagum....... and she was not referring to KPN air bus.. she was telling about Luftansa i suppose

Ram said...

adipaavi- naalu idli waste :((

dee iyer said...

i love this tamilian trip . we rock ..

Harish said...

U have a great talent of creating an atmosphere as if it happened to u.
And what else u drag us into the scene as well...kudos Vani.
U r too good....

Anonymous said...

sriram,
oh gosh! i can only imagine how it'd have felt, living on salads!!

harish,
chamattha indian airlines-la pona inda problems ellam varadhu! :P

vidya,
it's a special all lovely moms have! :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

gosh, that was me giving the previous comment! :P

rsubras,
doesn't matter, moms are like this in real world also, where else will i then get inspiration from?
haha, of course, harish was talking 'bout veli naadu only!

minimal ego,
therinjurndha andha naalu idli-aiyum ungakitta kudurthurpeney!

ms iyer,
yay!! we do!!

harish,
thanks, man! and hey, shall visit ur blog again, soon...

Krish said...

Actually on almost every trip of mine (and I have had a lot of them between the US and India), the travel agent or the airline had "sodhappified" my meal preferences but since I hate airline food anyway (even if it is vegetarian and as South Indian as possible), I always carry food from home and have it. Has saved me on many an occasion including the latest trip to DC :-)

Anonymous said...

Idly kku pinnadi chutney irukkum theriyum. Ivlo periya kadhai aa?

Wow :-D

~phobiac~ said...

aagaaa.....

drinks-na....coke ketu chance waste pannathu yaaru !!!

radiantbear said...

hey Vani,

Tell you what..even if its not ure story.. I remember my flight I took from chennai to my college... I had to take two flights.. and in between I had a 14 hours transit!

I was arguing with my mom that I was not going to take pulli sadam with me , neither was i going to take any murruku...

later the flight expericne was no different.. and then I went to to the transit area empty-stomach.. in the reception they told me that they were not serving anything ..

And all the money I had left in the purse was Indian.. Not even my card was in the purse.. I just remembered that they were in the luggage..

Ten hours passed by.. struggling through only with food for the ears and eyes..

I just started unpacking my backpack, to search for my batteries.. and lo and behold what did i find.. MURUKKU..and LADDOO'S

man did i have a party...

Cheers,
Nanyaar?

Vani Viswanathan said...

thennavan,
that's a good idea. maybe i should start following it!!

ferrari,
ennala edhukku pinnadiyum kadhai kandupidikka mudiyum! :P

shiningindian,
thanks! :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

phobiac,
rendu peg adicchu nalla mabbu-la thoongirkanumaa? lol!!! appo flight lerndhu yaar epdi veliya poven? :P

nanyaar,
wow!! my story's actually true with someone else! atleast you had laddoos and murukku when you got back, my poor lil' character had nothing much! :|

~phobiac~ said...

rendu peg-kuke muppa ?...

waste waste !!

Vani Viswanathan said...

vee-jay,
is there something called Jain veg. available?
hmm..i don't know...i've never gone in a non-indian carrier!!

phobiac,
flight-la rendu peg-ku mela tharamaatanga, theriyuma? strong-aa rendu adichaa kandippa yerumey?!

Prabha said...

hey that was really nice..cant believe its not true..guess something similar must ve triggered this off :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

prabha,
Hi!! Well, i was just thinking how it would be if we take packed food on board like we do in trains; so this story!!

and oh god, spam!!

Anonymous said...

It pretty much covers Replica related stuff.

Anonymous said...

blog/site that is full of really nice **handbag** deals. The name of the