Things that keep flashing across my mind....

, , 18 comments
“La li laa li laa lo…” croons Rahman. That’s just what I need to listen to when I’m trying hard to keep awake and think of strategies to suggest to Bush telling him when to intervene to stop mass killings. And tell Osama bin Laden how wrongly he has interpreted the Koran.

“Dear Osama,”
I begin the letter, like how I think it’s going to be in the exam.
I’m trying to get my answers organised in Microsoft Word. And immediately the wizard assistant says ‘It looks like you’re writing a letter. Would you like help?’ Yeah, like he could write out the letter for me to Osama. I hide the wizened old Office Assistant.

Dark clouds loom over the once bright sky and threaten to bring in rain. God, the last thing I need right now, as I stretch myself wearily to complete the readings of Osama’s interviews to various media. God, that guy is one huge fanatic I’ve ever read about. His interpretations of the holy Koran, and how he has cleverly managed to find justifications for everything he has done and plans to do – how every other country in the world is infidel, and how US is ‘disgusting’. Wow, he gets me stunned.

And talking of Islamic laws, I really wonder if they are that strict as ObL portrays them to be. ‘Strike the disbeliever in the neck’, I read in shock, wondering if it is some metaphorical order, or literal, as ObL chooses to interpret it. No religion can promote or glorify violence, I believe, and it’s difficult for me to believe my eyes as I read of ObL reeling out phrases after phrases of Koran and telling the world how he is just protecting the world and upholding his religion. Apparently (according to ObL) the holy book says that the whole world should come under the Islamic law and he goes about asking the US to follow Islamic law. I don’t know if that is true, but I am just spellbound by ObL’s demands and how he can coolly ask a country to follow something just like that! And he hates the UN because it follows man-made laws instead of the already-present holy law from the holy book. Whoa!!

And I read about how China, Russia and Pakistan are deliberately slowing down UN intervention in Darfur, Sudan where hundreds of thousands are getting killed (with the aid of the Govt of Sudan) and more millions displaced. Apparently, China has good stakes in Sudan’s oil, and Russia is afraid to endorse a particular move just because it is afraid it’ll be setting a precedent because of the way it dealt with the Chechnya issue. And the US, God only knows why it takes so much time to take any action, it being the only country to have called the Sudanese killings genocide. I am surprised at how countries can be this selfish when thousands are getting killed. Of course, politics is no simple issue, I’m just frustrated.

Effects of exam time. : ) I should be fine by Friday. And I hope the UN decides to do something concrete in Darfur soon!

18 comments:

Ramya Shankar said...

Where did the other post go? Good luck!! Am sure u'll accumulate loads of the qty u wanted...!

Asha said...

Actually... err, *zips mouth*

:) All the best in your exams Vani.

Harish said...

All the best!!

oru idea.. exam set pannivan a enna ellam pannanam nenaikariyo, adhellam ezhudheetu, "and these are a few forms of torture that Terrorists perform" nu soleedu :D

Manoj said...

Why did the kitchen-o-phobia thing move behind? Did you just want to show off 'the lost moment' or something is wrong?

Sheks said...

all the best!

Kausikram Krishnasayee said...

ayyo pavam (ment for the ppl of sudan), ayyo pavam (this one goes for u )

Aravind said...

LOL @ Harish :D

All da best for exams....

Vani Viswanathan said...

ramya,
thanks! but loads of the qty? quantity? :S

the woman,
erm, could you really help me out with the Koran?! :|
ad thanks!!

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish,
cha paavam andha prof paaka nalla iruparu, vera edha nenachu pakaren...some teachers!! Yeah, yayyy i got ideas! :P

manoj,
do YOU have a problem?

Vani Viswanathan said...

sheks,
Thanks!!!

Mark,
hehe..arudhalukku romba thanks! :)

Aravind,
Thanks!

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

hmmm actually nice post.... but exam effect nala than ipadi oru thinking vanthathu solli u diluted the entire thing :)

Best of luck for your exam btw :) :)

Manoj said...

yeah i do, i did 7 comments (my highest) in kitchen-o-phobia :( poor me. (So you dooooo want to show the lost moment off >:), and hey no fun, it is good enough to show off). Anyways i thought it was another one of those silly bugs in blog templates and that is why i asked. In fact, i hink you should have moved it in front of the current post either.
.
.
(blinks) he he i think i should run now

Priya Arun said...

Vani, ObL is one of the things that keep flashing across your mind? really? is that normal? :-?

The only things that flash across mine are chocolates, books and my husband. (in that order, yes) ;-)

Nalla reel suththareenga..(it's a compliment, BTW) :-)

Harish said...

btw...i read the same about some US people interpretations regarding the New testament in the Bible.
Fanatics exists in all parts of the world...take our Rath Yatra King Advani for instance...sometimes i feel why cant that poor horse do a sommersault and kick him somewhere that he never wakes up :-)
But then...if wishes were horses....

Vani Viswanathan said...

rsubras,
Oh no, the effect of exam time was for the frustation, not for the thoughts...these are coming up more often in my mind ever since the start of this sem, coz of a module i've taken...

ilprashant,
Thanks, and welcome!

Vani Viswanathan said...

manoj,
oh, that 7 comments you'd left is the issue, eh?!

priya,
hahaha....you should read one of my previous posts on genocide, you'd know what a wreck i can become at times!! ;)

harish,
Definitely. What matters is when the fanaticism goes to a level of people dying! I hope the Rath Yatra doesn't do as much harm!
As for the Koran interpretation, I'm really intrigued....I need help! I'll make do in the exam with the limited things I know, but I want to know more...

Manoj said...

Yeah but not just that. It was about macaroni, no? That's part of the issue too.

Anonymous said...

lovley place u ve got here.. You arite awesome... Hope you complete your book in good time... :)

PS.. all the best for ur egg jams