My little angel, my little imp

, , 23 comments

Smriti was fussing. She wouldn’t eat. I ran behind her, finding it difficult to keep pace with those cherubic little legs as she ran from one room to another, trying to avoid me, to avoid eating.

I knew what she wanted – all the running around she was doing was for exactly one end – the terrace.

‘Smriti…’ I called out, and she stopped, knowing what I was about to say. She turned and grinned at me. I grinned back.

‘The terrace!!!’ we cried in unison.

The little girl insisted on taking the stairs, not the elevator. I huffed and puffed as I climbed four floors to the terrace, a bowl of curd rice in hand – curd rice peppered with bits of cabbage – now that would require some extra effort to push into the little devil, I thought.

I sighed as I picked the shreds of cabbage and put them in a corner of the bowl – the girl simply refused to eat them. Why should I be right most of the times?

There was a glimmer of hope from among the clouds – literally – the moon came out of hiding. Cream, majestic, and resplendent. Shining. My saviour. To get my little angel to eat.

‘Amma, look!!’ cried my imp. ‘The moon!!!’

‘Yes, dear, the moon,’ I replied, absentmindedly.

She ran to the other corner of the terrace to have a better view.

I was losing patience.

‘Smriti,’ I called out. ‘C’mon…let me tell you a story about the moon while you eat…’ I said. Pointing my index finger up to the full moon on the sky, I said, ‘See those black spots on the moon…’

‘No!’ she interrupted.

What now?

‘The moon is here, ma..’ she said pointing directly upward from her corner of the terrace. ‘Not there!!’

I smiled.

‘Of course, Smriti….’ I said, walking towards her. ‘The moon is here.’

My little imp. She always wins.

23 comments:

Sat said...

Curd rice with cabbage!!!
I don't blame the little one for not eating that...I'd run from it myself! :D
It would take a lot of circus and the whole galaxy to make me eat it!

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

ithu true story thaane. ;) as told by ur ma..

Ramanujam said...

nice narration....
as RS above idhu true story madhiri irukky?!?!?!?!
illa gujju land maadi veetu paapa effect ah?????

Vani Viswanathan said...

sat,
hee...when does any kid like anything her mother gives? :)

rs,
sathiyama illa! i was a chamathu kid, lol!

ramanujam,
thanks! :)
nope, no influence, just wrote it..

Asha said...

Reminded me of a night I spent at someone's terrace in india... the moon was perfect and I loved it to bits. The picture is so clear in my mind. Sigh, I miss the place man.

Kausikram Krishnasayee said...

thachi mamau ooti, nilla nilla odi vaa ndu pattu?

Aravind said...

andha 2-year old kid, who lives next to ur place - ava peru thaan smrithi-yaa?

Vani Viswanathan said...

asha,
come down some time!!!!

mark,
hehe..nilla nilla illa da, nila nila :D

aravind,
AYYO! nooooooooooo... read the first ever story i wrote in my blog? it's the same smriti-nnu vechukoyen! :P

Neha said...

haha!!! good one.

Kausikram Krishnasayee said...

guess i have to work on my tanglish

Aconfusedsoul said...

nice story..!! but, yikes.. curd rice with cabbage..Amma illa yaaru koduthalum naa angendhu escape..

Aconfusedsoul said...

aaargh!!!! enaku mattum ur word verification thingy kashta kashtama,big big a words ellam kodukudhu!! X( it takes me 2 or 3 trials to post just one comment!! :(

Karthik said...

That was a sweet story .. And yes, even i hate cabbage !!!

Harish said...

neahhh...saapatu vishayatula naanum sema chamatu. But my bro was one lil brat. Ippa yaaru moon a kaati saapadu ootara? En aaka veetula irukira vaandu TVla cartoon paatha thaan saapiduvaen nu adam pidikudu :-)

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

aaah naan oru varam blogs pakkam varalenna yaarume new post poda maatengarangapa :p

enna vani.......biji ya?

Anonymous said...

is it the little children in the neighbourhood who inspired you to write the story ?

Harish said...

how dare u torture a li'l child with curd rice?! YUCK!

Vani Viswanathan said...

neha,
thanks! :)

mark,
yup, i forgot i have to teach ya!!

f2f,
hehe... like mums even care ;) sorry abt the word verif! wondering if i shd take it off....nalla typing practice madiri irukku! :D

Vani Viswanathan said...

karthik,
haha.. thanks! :)

harish,
hehe.. those are hi-tech kids!

Vani Viswanathan said...

subras,
net connection got cut!! was just restored after a week... will post soon!

vishnu,
naaah... actually it's a story i wrote in ntu... during exam time :P

harish,
hehe.. while everyone squirms for the cabbage, someone squirms for curd rice! :D

Movie Mazaa said...

That was a lovely read. It was my first time here, but I am sure I shall come back for more.

:)
Happy Blogging!

S m i t h a said...

haha.. lovely. wish i had written this!

SATYA said...

imp....
or any small child.....its a nice feeling of the mother who is desperate to make her baby comfortable....
we r backed by our parents so deeply that we wold not have dreamt of being at this stage....we should be so greatful to them......
thnx for the memories of childhood...
take care
cheers
satyam