Of dreams and screams

, , 16 comments
“Can’t you see?”, the lady said. She shivered.
I looked at her sympathetically.
“Poor thing”, I thought. “She needs some rest and counselling.”
“There are just two of us in this room,” she continued, “but three shadows. See the wall..”
I looked at the direction in which she pointed.
HORRORS!!!!
Yes, there were three shadows.
And as I watched, a figure appeared from thin air, a miracle. The newly appeared figure was causing the shadow. But she (yeah, the thing was a she) was transparent! The lady next to me screamed in fear. The figure even spoke (in a voice so distinctly familiar, I knew that, because I hated it) and said that she wanted to sit on my lap(!!) My throat went dry. I opened my mouth to scream. But my voice failed me at the moment. After what seemed to be hours of trying to scream, my mouth let out a faint, meek sound.
Well, as you might have guessed, it was all a dream….but I had really screamed! (yeah, that faint, meek noise was actually made) I have always wondered why my beautiful mind can never dream of something nice and pleasant. Its always either falling through gorges or from a helicopter (why not a aeroplane? I don’t know) or dashing floods or snakebites, or worse, dying!!!!I don’t stop with dying alone, I believe I’m still alive and wonder why people are not able to recognize me. I have read that dreams are a result of what the subconscious mind is engaged with. But I can’t understand when floods or snakes or for that matter, ghosts as in this dream of mine, were given the slightest importance even in my conscious memory for the subconscious to keep thinking about them. And on top of that, why do I scream aloud even though I very well know what I’m seeing is false, is a dream? Well, maybe these things go “whoosh!” over my head, but I’ve always tried to know why I get these dreams and not something nice, say the latest movie of my favourite hero or me getting into the Dean’s list and topping my coll. Sigmund Freud has given nice theories about these but it would be great if I could catch up with them too!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

When u have a nice sweet dream, u jus smile to urself and continue to sleep rather dream happily.....

But when u get real bad ones or totally illogical ones(as i usually get) we dont want it to continue and wake up mostly screaming.....

Well how is my thesis :)

Ram said...

enna maa? India ponaa ketta kanavu varudhaa? un posts ku contrary-aa irukkae :P. try hugging a kandha shashti kavasam book instead of ur teddy bear :D.

Ram C said...

The disturbing things which you see or observe, tend to stay in mind and comeout in the dreams...

so, try to forget the distbg issues...

Vani Viswanathan said...

A, true! i gave out a lil scream..then this dream stopped!!!so ur thesis is proved! :P
minimal ego,

Vani Viswanathan said...

this dream actually came in my last sem vacation! :P i had written this 6 months back but posted it only now! ;)neenga sonna idea follow panna, the next morning kanda sashti kavasam would mostly be in tatters!

Vani Viswanathan said...

ram.c,
ya...even i'm thinking hard what the disturbing issues were..that make these things come in my dream...but couldn't find any! anyways, i'm forgetting them!

F e r r a r i said...

Muneeswaran kovil daayathu eduthu kattiko. Ellam seriya poodum :-)

Harish said...

Half the time, I know that I'm dreaming.. and though my brain screams at me to wake up, I purposely sleep that longer to know how the dream ends :)

sathish said...

kaali kovil poi oru archana pannina seriya poidum...
these are common to many people.. some even talk while sleeping...
ur blog outlook is good..

Vani Viswanathan said...

adadaa...
enna akkarai!
romba thanks, ferrari and sathish!:)
tomorrow morning poi kovil poidanum!
harish, nalla policy...anikki mattum naan scream panlenna, i would've found out who that pei is! ;)

Unknown said...

Why do u scream if u know its a dream-a? Coz ezhundha appuram dhaan u know its a dream :)

Dreams-la ennikkavathu killi paarkanum-nu thoani irukka unakku? :D

"The newly appeared figure was causing the shadow. But she (yeah, the thing was a she)"
Edhukku thevai illama....figure naaley she dhaan :)

Unakku pei oattanum...veppalai adichu viboothi poosi paaru :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

praveen,
adapaavi...figure naa she-nnu madakittiye! i meant normal figure...not "figure" anyways, ok! veppalai adichu vibuthi poosikardhu mattumdaan i haven't yet done...adhaiyum inda vacation pannidanum!

Chakra said...

the comments & suggestions are interesting.. :)

saranyan r said...

enakku eppavume annapurna layum krishna sweets layum saapadara maadhiri thaan kanavu varum :D
and that is what I do, when I go to coimbatore :)

un problem ikku solution --- udane Dr. Saravana (thalaivar in Chandramukhi) ai consult pannu. maybe u have some split personality in you :) final paattu venumna naan compose panni tharen :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

aaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!
oru kanavu pathi sonnadhukku ellarum epdi solrengaley! cha, anyaayamaa thonala?? :P
saranyan, split personality-aa!!!!oh my kadavuley! :D

REFLEX said...

"I have always wondered why my beautiful mind can never dream of something nice and pleasant." --- I think nee unnoda neraya friends ai meet pannu irukke. so they came in ur dream too.