Returning home – part 1

, , 8 comments
Hmm…so looks like many of you who visited my sis’ blog have some comments about mine, eh? Ok, so keeping up with my comment there to watch out for the new entry….here goes.
27th was a damn busy day for me. Running around here and there, packing off and chucking some left over stuff into trash, a little bit of shopping, whew, it was tiring. And I had to return my keys to the hall of residence office before 5 P.M. So I quickly arranged everything and returned all the things I had taken from the hall office, the keys and the LAN cable.
My room was looking all the more empty now and I felt very depressed. Less than a day back, my amazing computer was adorning my desk and giving me wholesome entertainment in the form of songs, movies and episodes of Friends. Now, nothing.
Then by 4:30 P.M. I left out with my friend. Had some gala shopping. We bought a lot of vegetables and were starving by the time we came back to campus. We quickly set to work and made some delicious potato curry to eat with (ready-to-eat, of course) chappatis. We hungrily stuffed ourselves with the food. And this time, the food was even tastier because I had peeled and cut the potatoes. ;)
So by 10 in the night, I was cleaning my room because they would check it after I vacate. As I opened the cupboard and dusted it out, a horrible thing dawned on me. I had locked up my ticket in the cupboard locker and returned the keys to the office, and the damned office wouldn’t open till 8:30 the next morning, and my flight was at 9:30 A.M.!!!!
I was freaked beyond words. I was surprisingly calm, though, and called various campus security people because I had heard that the campus security always has another set of keys. Alas! All they had was the room key, and not the locker key.
I kept assuring myself things would go fine. I called my friend and she came up with the brilliant suggestion: supposedly I could call up the airline I had booked my ticket in, tell them I have lost my tickets and they would give me a new one if I verified my identity with my passport.
Whew, I was seriously relieved. Alas, again, not for long. Five minutes later I realised that my passport was also in the same little purse as the ticket. Now things seemed really frightening.
I started trying to break open the shelf with all my might. Then it struck me that I could meet the hall councillor and ask her to open the office for me. But this kind lady couldn’t do much as she didn’t have the office keys and tried contacting many people, who, of course, were already asleep (man, it was just 10 : 45 in the night!!!) and didn’t wake up to the calls.
Ok, so now no other way than to break open the shelf. The Vietnamese girl living next door kindly offered to help me and both of us started shaving open the plank that covered the locker. We knew that if we could get through at least through a quarter of the length of the plank, we might be able to open the locker. So we started doing this, and it took us about 15 minutes.
Then came my saviour for the day. Rj came along, looked about for a minute or two, and pulled the shelf out. Wow, isn’t she strong! I was crazy with joy when she opened the shelf. And the best part was, when we pushed the shelf back, it looked as if no one had damaged it in any way. Thanks, Rj!!
It was finally 1 A.M. when I could go to sleep. And I had to get up at 5:30 again! Ok lah, can sleep in the flight, I thought. I was wondering if god was testing me on all those things I said in my previous blog, that I had learnt in Singapore. Guess god wasn’t that mean as he could’ve been, I thought, and went to sleep.
Oh no, He was, to some extent. My bad luck followed me through! Well, maybe I shouldn’t call it bad luck, but it wasn’t good either.
I am now praying that my hall office does not charge me for any damages made to the shelf!!! :)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

T.Nagar-la enga meet vechukkarthu? :)

And this template looks cool! Just The text could probably be a bit brighter, tweak around with it :)

Sriram said...

I'm going underwater right now. Dunno where I'm gonna resurface. if u want to, lemme know and I'll leave the address here after i resurface. In the meanwhile, I'm gonna be around reading your blogs and dropping comments/bombs :d Peace

Harish said...

yup. agree w/ Praveen.

Have a lighter font colour. or tweak ur background colour to be a li'l lighter..

Shelf-a thurakumbothu andha poonai kutti veliya kuthichurundha enna panneerupae? :P

saranyan r said...

indha maadhiri drama irundha thaan nanna irukkum :)

Chakra said...

oorukku varum podhu oru excitement illenna epdi..

Vani Viswanathan said...

hehe...
i know, this template rocks!!!
praveen,
meet engannu konjam yosichu solren, wogay-vaa? ;)
oh sriram, thanks, that's kinda a compliment for my new template! :)
harish,
i would've died of shock! :)btw, i mostly won't be seeing that cat around much anymore when i return coz i might shift to a new room!
saranyan,
romba correct. adutha naal enna nadandhudhunnu seekramaa i'll post! rendum sendhu enna veetuku varathukulla oru vazhi aakiduthu!
chakra sampath, excitement made my trip!

S m i t h a said...

hey, this template is nice.
btw - when is Part-2 releasing? we need nice long posts, remember ur promise?
btw - u can remove the [Next blog] link in the top of the page by surrounding the "body" tag in ur template like this...
<noembed><body></noembed>

Vani Viswanathan said...

jagan lee,
hehe..it made me think, "what more before i come home??"
smitha,
thanks :) see the next post, my promise is kept! ;)btw, for the link, i'll do it soon. thanks for the info!