Odes and sonnets and poems and rhymes

, , 20 comments
Not very long ago
A young, little girl,
Tried to write a poem,
And let her thoughts unfurl.
But alas, what she wrote,
Seemed more
Like an essay
With the lines broken,
And written
Just to rhyme.
(Ahem! What does it look like now?)

Poetry and I have rarely gone together. As far as I remember, the last poem I wrote was in my grade seven about cartoons; this “poem” talked about how cartoons can make even fussy eaters (kids) eat their food quickly. Very dumb concept, I know, but well, the poem was quite cute. I remember just two lines from the entire poem now:

“Ow! Ow!” cried Jerry,
Jumping up and down in a ferry.

God! Like most of the kids, my idea of a poem was a story basically split up so that the last word in every other line (or okay, every second or third line) rhymes with its counterpart. This way I strained my class seven vocabulary to find words which rhyme and this was a hell lot of effort. This poem was to go into our class magazine, “Fun Fiesta”, edited by Yours truly, and the name of the magazine suggested by my sis. Fun Fiesta was quite a good success for its very first edition, though it had to be stopped very soon for it being very unproductive. No more could we go about the business without money and of course, no parent was really willing to give their daughters money for a silly (!) class magazine. Also because some of my class mates became pretty dumb and started giving me crossword and Crayon Corner from the Young World asking me to “publish” it in their name. Fun Fiesta, hence, stopped being “printed” after two issues because of the aforesaid reasons.

After this last poetic effort of mine, I decided that it was high time I stopped trying to write poems and concentrated on stories instead. So Chumki came up. In the next year, a joint effort between me and my friend happened and we came up with a story titled “The Hallucination”. A very weird story it was, and it still got published in our school magazine, replete with typos. Next year, I went a step further and wrote a story in Sanskrit. Uhh, well, this wasn’t my story, but was an Akbar Birbal thing translated into Sanskrit. It was very funny to imagine and write Akbar and Birbal talking in Sanskrit, with me consulting the dictionary to find the Sanskrit equivalents often.
These school magazines are highly funny things. When my sister was in her seventh grade, she wrote a poem on teachers, which was published in a newspaper. When she was editing her school magazine, she came across the same poem being submitted by another school mate of hers. When asked, this girl said she had copied the poem from some other school magazine. One silly poem written ages back, and it was still making rounds.

Not knowing what more to write,
That girl,
Who had stopped writing poems
Ages ago,
Again tried to write one,
To finish her post.
This one,
It seemed to her,
Was worse than the one
She had written in the beginning,
And knew that it was best
To shut up and stop.

20 comments:

Vivhyd said...

Lol.. funny one Vani.. well seems like u read my mind all the time uh.. I have just started this habit to come up with small poems..and know what all I try to do is imagine a situation and try and come up with a poem.. and make sure I have the rhyming effect w/o spoiling the meaning I am trying to convey.. I guess its working alrite so far...

the concept of cartoons making kids eat is a really good one.. so nothing to feel bad over tht.. as for poems in magazines and stuff. tht part was hilarious.. ppl finding their poems in some other magazine after sometime.. let me try and c if I get this write for u..

Doesn't matter if its a poem or a story
Not getting it right is no cause for worry
All it takes is a honest attempt dear
and we see an abundance of it here

hope u liked this....

Vani Viswanathan said...

vivhyd,
poem kalaks! lol!!!

Anonymous said...

so u want the last words rhymin,right?????? T.R. aka karadi can help u out!!!!!!! ;)

Ram said...

there are people who dont care about what others think and keep doing what makes them happy despite negative feedbacks from others...and there are others who try not to do stuff that have gotten negative feedbacks for them in the past, even if they enjoy doing it.

Whether u shud write more poems or not depends on what type of a person you are...

Sriram said...

ROTFL!!!! good one kiddo! see! me is still around ;).. why haven't I seen you back at my place?

Sheks said...

me too hate poems.if i attempt writing one,it'll be one with paragraphs.

BTW r u still in chennai?Since there were no bloggers' meet lately,I wanna meet u n sandy once.

Juvenile Delinquent said...

I can never bring myself to write a poem... Whenever I try to rhyme, it seems too artificial, and whenever I don't, I'm not satisfied with what I come up with... Sigh... I've tried about a hundred times, but I still have to come up with a good poem... :(

~phobiac~ said...

"Hallucination" !! in 7th grade ?!?.....I couldn't even spell 'Hall' properly at that time !!?!....

ah....the post made me remember my school mag....first part..english...then tamil...then hindi...and last page some sketches....never had the talent to get anything published .....still have them lying somewhere in my den.....


Chumki.. !!!......kadaisi varaikum chumki story sollaama escape aaga pooriya ??

Vani Viswanathan said...

a,
apdi kashta pattu poem ezhudarthukku naa chummave irukalaam! :P
minimal ego,
yeah, major reason why i stopped writing poems was because i don't like poems, writing or reading them!! btw, did i tell you i like your SRK picture?? :)
sriram,
internet quite sad. last time i came to your blog i saw this post about google ads...i really don't have any opinions on those things....so i didn't comment! :P shall visit yours again soon

Vani Viswanathan said...

sheks,
ha! you also hate poems! yay!!!! and meeting us?? tsk tsk...not quite possible this time!
deepak,
that's why...i've given up!!!
phobiac,
indha school mag style romba familiar-aa irukkey...which school you from??
and chumki story is not with me right now....:)

Unknown said...

Namma TR-a guru-va accept panniko, paattu nalla varum :)

Namma iskool magazine-a me no open...direct to paper kaaran :)

~phobiac~ said...

familiara irukka ??...yella school mags-um ippadi thaane irukkum ?!....btw I went to DAV gopalpuram.....after they made me study in a boys wing ...I finally called it quits after 2 yrs and changed school....oru entertaiment illama ..how can u study ! ;-)

Anu said...

enna, orey malarum ninaivugalaa?? :))

Vani Viswanathan said...

praveen,
you mean "unga" school mag. my school mag was different from yours! :P
phobaic,
ada, namma edam...boys' wing maathinapram school mathitiya....verry good!
anu,
podi!

ioiio said...

OT : Hello.. Mattera sonnaaaa muzhusaaa sollanum.. Indha maadhiri arai guraiyaaa sonnaaa enna artham.. Vandhu my shoutboxla katthu :(

~phobiac~ said...

hey...'namma edam'-a ?....yenna u too DAv-ya ?....ada...namma junior-u....appo ragging panna vendiyathuthaan !!

Vani Viswanathan said...

ioiio,
seri vandhu katharen.
phobiac,
cha....junior-naa odaney rag pannidanumaa? naane ippo college senior...naa thaan mathavangala rag pannanum! :D

Harish said...

hehehe.. en case-a keeriye nee.. same pinch! :D

I'm worse.. I don't care if it makes sense or not.. I jus want it to rhyme!!

Chaitanya Sagar said...

Good blog Vani.

It is a little difficult (visually, black on blue) to read your blog.

Anonymous said...

Very stupid