Rambling on….

, , 28 comments
My mind is busy wondering what to post on the blog….it’s been a week since I posted and I’m desperate to write anything so that my previous dumb story isn’t the first thing people see if they visit my blog. I’m thinking of topics ranging from the awesome song “Chaiyya Chaiyya” to my lil’ vacation in Bangalore to the trip to the vegetable market yesterday. Interesting topics for me, though, I wanted to put them further by at least a week or two.

As I spend my last two weeks in India for this vacation, I wonder how drastically life will change after those two weeks. Difficult to believe that! I feel so ‘out of touch’ with staying in the hostel, cursing the food and best (or worst?), studying. It’s been ages since I picked up any book that has to be ‘studied’; eons since I went into the kitchen with even slight intentions of cooking. I’ve just been lazing around in the house and religiously attending marriages of relatives. People whom I meet there find it astonishing that I had a three-month long vacation. With utter disbelief, they ask, “Oru thadava ooruku poitu thirumbi vandhuttiya?”. I could not help but smile; my school mates started their exams a month after I came, had a three-week vacation and have started college again. Each of these people burns with jealousy when I tell them how I struggle to ‘joblessly’ spend time.

One week in Bangalore was a lot of fun; spent most of the time playing with kids of my relatives. It was funny watching my nephew crying when he returned from school, chiding us for coming late to pick him up, when we were in his school ten minutes before the final bell. The return journey from B’lore was, though, bad. Thankfully I got a window seat and I refused to give it up to anyone who even ventured near asking for it. With me were eight people returning from a marriage, I assume. Fat people they were, and they made it a point to deprive me of my legally allotted space and squashed me to the window. They kept eating, how on earth it was possible I didn’t know; as soon as the train left the B’lore station, they started eating what they had packed from home (or wherever), followed by generous numbers of bananas at any frequent interval possible. As though these weren’t enough, they kept buying most of the things people from the pantry were bringing; I’m sure the pantry guys would have made a fortune that day, all thanks to that family which tortured me. Adding fuel to the fire was a huge group of college students who boarded at Katpadi. Though they managed to steal even that little space my neighbours had left without stuffing their luggage, it was fun to watch the seniors rag their juniors and I slowly drifted off into making my own plans for how to give my college juniors a ‘warm’ welcome.

Now, at home, telephone is perpetually busy, people calling in and out; television rendering its services to my grandmother, who is busy watching a mythological serial in Telugu; what she can understand, I wonder, but frequently she keeps smiling and saying “aah!” as some mahatvam of Lord Krishna is being shown.

All last minute bouts of visits have started and I’m busy making lists of things I need to buy before I leave. Duh! Can anything be more boring than packing!! Thankfully, mum is here to do it for me this time.

This time, two weeks later, I would be wondering where to go for lunch. Back to present. Lovely home food ready now.

28 comments:

Vinesh said...

Interesting blog you have here Vani, thanks so much for posting on mine (that's how I got this link, hehe).

Konjam paragraphs break panni post pannungalen.. a little tedious to read a single long paragraph

Sandhya Ramachandran said...

hey vans...
Totally agree with Vinesh.Kashtama irukku di padikka! And I REALLy like those two stories...
Waiting for 'Chumki' to get published here...

Anonymous said...

Hi Vani..is your mother tongue Telugu or Tamil?

Vani Viswanathan said...

hi vinesh,
thanks....and there, the blog looks better now, doesn't it?? :)
sandhya,
hey ya, someone had already told me to break the paragraphs...i forgot :P and you liked the second story? the music one? hmm....i din like it much...
anon,
naan tamizh pen. telugu thelleydhu.

Vivhyd said...

hey Vani.. 3 month vacaion.. me jealous!! I guess u had a good time.. and make sure u have a blast of time the last 2 weeks.. cos as u said its gonna be back to boring ways again..

Juvenile Delinquent said...

Hey, being one of the few others who have 3-month long vacations, I know how you feel... Like I told you, I don't want the hols to end, and at the same time, I can't wait to get back to the hostel... And yeah, I just can't wait to get to the freshies... Have some nice things planned for them... ;)

Anonymous said...

hmmmm..... 3 months...... i cant bear 2 months here...... 3 months!!!!! mebbe stayin away from home for the remaining 9 months does make these 3 months enjoyable..... even my friends do have ulcer abt my hols, but only experience proves that long hols isnt that enjoyable after all.......

what is better than bunking classes and chattin abt everything ur mind could wander to......(PS our coll. dean called for a meetin(rather speech) last week and sed " being in proffesional coll,100% attendance is mandatory to handle these engg subjects"..... and stupid new rules.... with a new VC and a dumb dean, one long finger of ours keep goin up towards the sky, cursin god....

Expectin to get a loooooooooonnnnngggggeeeeeerrrrr post abt ur 'warm' welcome to ur juniors....

Anonymous said...

en comment la, "professional" spellin thappu.....

vaazhga tamil..... oliga aangilam....

Kay said...

Vani Unnoda study Holidays'lenthu ippo unnoda banglore trip varaikum elathayum follow pannitu varom. Jun 15 Vani enga iruntha nu ketta un blog padikira elarume answer pannuvaanga...eniki kelambing to Singapore ????

Vani Viswanathan said...

vivhyd,
i'm having a blast of a time at home by doing absolutely nothing! :)
deepak,
there...ur friends in other colleges are also cursing you for the 3 month vacation, right?
juniors ellam enna panradhunnu oru conference pottudalaama? :P i can do with some suggestions from you guys!!!
a,
thamizh va"l"ga, aangilam o"l"iga-vaa? ok!!
nee kaeta madhiri llllloooooonnnnnnggggg post ezhudarthukku matter irukkaa pakanum...let us see....
kay....
study hols lernthu ippo varaikum ellarum padichutu irukeenga illa....neeye kalambara date-um sollu! :P

Anonymous said...

I happen to be in your university campus.... A newly rennovated canteen A awaits your arrival..hahaha

Cheers
Dr

Anonymous said...

I happen to be in your university campus.... A newly rennovated canteen A awaits your arrival..hahaha
Anyway, you have a great blog

Cheers
Dr

Vani Viswanathan said...

Dr,
Dr?? Anyways...a new can A???? sounds great!!!!! i hope they have much better food!!! :) that's good news :P

Anonymous said...

hahaha.... Vani, the stalls are still the same. But only a newly rennovated canteen A. :( How sad.... The juniors are already here marching around the campus.......hahahhaa
Dr...

Anonymous said...

hey check back.... tamil ku vaazhga daan potruken.... aana aangilam engira varthai ninaithale en pattani alavu moolai kulambi vidugiradhu.....

Harish said...

hey vani...hope u dont mind if i add ur bloglink in my blogspot. Thanks for the comments...please keep them coming.

Vani Viswanathan said...

Dr,
hmm....i thought we'll have better food...guess that's just asking for too much? and juniors?? already there!!and btw, do i know you?
a,
ohhh...idhukku ivalo side artham ella irukka....kalaks!
harish,
naah, no problem. and i'm getting confused coz there are 2 Harish-s around!

Juvenile Delinquent said...

Back again... I've heard about the ragging at NTU... IIT la ellam onnumae illa... Chumma sirichu paesaradhoda seri... Appidi paatha needha ennakku tips kudukanum... ;)

ioiio said...

Vani..

In two weeks,

Chennai's gain Singapore's loss

Anonymous said...

I dont think you know me. But I reached you blog by some web hopping exercise :)

Dr... (I need not necessarily be a Doctor) hahahhaaha

Vani Viswanathan said...

deepak,
cha, andha local ragging-ku thaan ivalo enthu-va irundiya....
ioiio,
hmph!!!!! you see, chennai's gonna cry the day i leave!
Dr,
ok.....so what are u doing there? :)

Anonymous said...

Vani, I do research here :(

Dr......

Harish said...

vacation....yaar u r lucky...i wish i was to have one..always dreamt of going to goa. Thanks for posting first comments on my spot. Please keep telling me the rights and wrongs. Ur Fan...

saranyan r said...

sleep well now Vani, for you may not get it easily while at school in singapore :) I just came back from India and I'm missing it badly :(

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish....
vacation's drawing to a close :( and tell you rights and wrongs? don get it!
saranyan....
you must be missing home food the most, aren't you? :)

Anu said...

God, you are off in a week's time..This feels utterly strange to me..coz I don't know when I will see you next!! Just feels like stepping into a new phase of life, where siblings get to see each other 'once in a while' after having been together for years!

meanwhile, hog on as much amma's food as possible, can't tell you how much am missing it here!

~phobiac~ said...

yenna madam romba naala sounde kaanum ??!!....back to phorine-na ?

Vani Viswanathan said...

akku,
ammaaaah!!!! (psenti tears)
verrrrry strange....and next step aana, kandippa "once in a while" meeting dhaan!
phobiac,
poreen ellam innum pogala. inge thaan irukken!