Story of a flight

, , 32 comments
I entered the flight and found my seat. 20H. A middle aged lady was already sitting there.
"Excuse me, umm...that's my seat....", I said.
She quickly got up and sat in some other seat.

I stared at her. Does she know that flights usually have a fixed seat? Did not seem like she did. I sat in my seat and watched all the people getting into their places. Nobody seemed to be coming to sit in 20G. I was pleased. I loved travelling alone, without people next to me. I smiled.

My happiness was short lived, though. The old woman came and sat next to me! I could not bring myself to ask her to sit in that seat she was sitting before. That would be awfully rude. So I just shut and came staring out through the window. The flight was to leave at 10:30. It was 10:50 and the plane had not moved an inch from where it was when I had boarded it. As I was watching outside, somebody suddenly pulled my left hand. I was startled and looked. The lady next to me was looking at the time in my watch.

"10:30-kkey flight-a edukkanum illa? Time aaiduche!" she said.
I nodded. God! Was she the company I was going to have throughout the flight?
As though in response to her query, the flight captain just then announced that there was a small technical problem in the aircraft that would be set right soon. I groaned. Not a delay!
The aircraft finally took off at 11:15 after a lap in the runway for about 5 minutes. As the flight took off, I could not keep my eyes off the window to look at the city I so loved. How long would it be before I would see it again!

As expected, the lady next to me started her conversation soon.
"What are you doing in Singapore?" she asked.
"Studying"
"College-aa?"
"Hmm."
"Which university?"
This set me thinking. How safe is it disclosing information to some lady I meet in the flight?
After thinking for a few seconds, I replied "SMU".
"Appdiya...which course?"
"Uh.....management" I fibbed. I didn't even know if such a course existed in SMU.
"I see...."

Lunch was served soon. I could barely eat that drab food. All I was thinking was about that thakkali rasam, vendekkai sambar and cauliflower curry I had eaten at home. I sighed. This was how bad food was going to be, from now on.

I put on the headphones and started listening to "Bollywood hits". I soon dozed off for such a long time that when I woke up they were already distributing the immigration forms. I filled one. I knew that the lady next to me would soon ask me something about the form. And sure she did.

"The form asks for the number of days. What if I'm not sure of it?"
"You have your return ticket, right? You wouldn't have got a visa without showing it to them. So why do you have uncertainity in the number of days of your stay?" I asked. Then I felt stupid for that slight tinge of arrogance I had in my tone. She looked slightly startled.

"Um...maybe you could explain it to the people in the immigrations counter....I don't really know because I've never had to do anything this way..." I said.
"Yes, I can do that", she said.
The flight had started its descent. I looked down at the city polluted with lights, where I would be spending many, many days.
"How will you go to your university, ma?" the lady asked.
"Uh, take a cab...."
"Nobody will come to pick you up?"
I smiled. How I wished somebody would!
"No."
"My son is coming to pick me up."
"I see.."

The flight landed with a thud and went on with such a furious speed I thanked God and blessed the man who invented seat belts for airplanes.
By the time I had reached my university and my room, it was evening and I was hungry, for I had eaten practically nothing during the flight. I went to the canteen which had the Indian stall.

"Hey Vani!!" yelled Preethi, my batch mate and close friend. "How was the flight?"
"Yeah, ok....now, I'm starving, let's get something to eat", I said.
We bought our food and found a long table occupied by Indians, seniors and batch mates alike. All of us chatted continuously, catching up with three months of tales at home. Anthara was particularly funny, telling us stories which kept us in splits. I could hardly eat; I kept laughing with tears in my eyes. As I laughed, I suddenly looked up to the door as someone called out my name. It was Vikrant, my school mate.

"How're you....I just landed...so shameful we didn't meet up even though we were in the same city in India..." I said.
"Yeah...and hey, my mum has come. I just picked her up from the airport....she said she was hungry, so I brought her here..." he said.
"Oh, ok.....where 's she?"
"Oh, there she is, in the queue for food...."
"Ha! Sad plight no," I said, turning toward the queue,"..... for your mom to stand in queue and..."

I stopped midway, shocked.
The lady from the flight was in the queue.
"Is-s she th-the lady in the green saree?", I asked him.
"Yeah, how did you know....and she was saying that she met a wierd girl, you know...studying management from SMU it seems...."
"Vikrant, that was me!" I said, feeling slightly ashamed.
"You?? When did you start studying in SMU?? Oh ok ok...I see, very cautious, not disclosing information to strangers, is it?" Vikrant roared with laughter.
I was turning pink with embarassment.
His mom came soon.
"Dei, indha ponnu thaan naan plane-la paathen da..." she said.
Vikrant laughed more loudly, with Preethi giving him company.
Soon, the whole table with Indians was bellowing with laughter, and Vikrant's mom cast me wierd looks.

32 comments:

~phobiac~ said...

I jus joined preethi and vikranth......hahaha

Anonymous said...

is this fate or what?!...absolutely amazing..anyway..welcome back to s'pore...and i just hate going to the uni 2morrow..sigh...

Vani Viswanathan said...

phobiac,
romba sirikaadeenga....
sathya,
uhh...classes starting....so sad! and btw this is a story i made up!!!!

Harish said...

hehe, I was about to ask you if u'd made this up! :) neeyae oththukittae!

nice narration, though!

Vinesh said...

Hahahaha! Super story! :-)

Story, screenplay, direction, acting kooda neengale dhaan. Neenga enna pombala TR-aa? :-) LOLZ

ioiio said...

LOL :)
ROTFL :)
LMAO :)

Ram said...

oh, made up- cha! i thought u had something to write for "most embarassing moment..." in those slam books during farewell- hehe- and thanks for liking my SRK :P.

Anonymous said...

man..i feel dumb..haha..but it was a good laugh!

Anonymous said...

Feel, u read the comment before the blog ;) anyway I feel its somewhat difficult to read u blog,i mean the color.... Check it with your frndz

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish,vinesh and ioiio,
thanks :) thank god this did not happen for real!!
minimal ego,
cha....all your high hopes lost, is it? never mind, embarassing moments will always be many!!
sathya,
:D goodluck with school!!

Vani Viswanathan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vani Viswanathan said...

how's the blog now?? better to read? :)

Anonymous said...

i was about to leave my first comment on ur blog..but never mind, u dont deserve one :)

Vivhyd said...

vani... straight out of a movie.. lol... gr8 one..

Anu said...

hey hey, hilarious read!! :)) you have become an expert in dishing out such stories, eh? Oh btw, why didn't the mom and son come together??

Vani Viswanathan said...

*,
ok so what happened that mr./ms. * didn't want to leave a comment on my blog?

vivhyd,
eheh, i was sitting in the flight imagining what would happen if the woman next to me asked me where i was studying...there popped the story!

anu,
expert..heheh....btw, you didn't read the story properly...i said she was in the queue for food when vikrant was talking to me! :)

~phobiac~ said...

hey vani....sooper....how did u manage to understand what Anu said correctly wrong ??....

Anu had asked why the mom and the kiddo didn't come together on the flight .....right Anu ?

Harish said...

tried to be much cautious eh???happens..Nothing wrong in being so u know..infact u were correct..tho embarrasingly :-)
ANyway have a great time in singapore...and happy management :-)

Vani Viswanathan said...

phobiac,
hey....well, i thought i don't have to add all those unnecessary details! vikrant was in freshman orientation committee, so he had to come much earlier than any of us! :P explanation okay-va anu?
harish,
well, if you haven't seen the previous commments...this was a story! and thank god, didn't really happen :)

Harish said...

hey vani...i read that and i think it still makes sense even if a story. Whats wrong in being cautious (although in imagination i guess u could have been a lil bit gullible :-))
And yes..i have to tell that not many people have the modesty of making fool of themselves...even if it were a story. So hats off to u again.
Please check my blog and fill ur comments.It helps me grow:-)

Anu said...

Vani, nalukku naal un moolai apadiye valandhundey pordhu..

Phobiac, thanks for putting forward the explanation to my TL sis..

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish,
thanks :) and yes, i am visiting your blog!
anu,
podi pisa!

Unknown said...

made up story-layum yaen self damage pannikkara? Adhulayavathu gouravama vazhalam-la? :)

Unknown said...

Pretty cinematic !

Vani Viswanathan said...

praveen,
romba thanks..you set me thinking! *raising eyebrow*
jayan,
art imitates life!!!

யாத்à®°ீகன் said...

parava illa.. nejamavay nadanthatha.. blog-la pottu.. comments parthadhum.. adhu buruda-nu.. hmmm.. samalipu thilagam thaan ;-)

just kidding...

Shiva said...

:)
it is not a bad idea to be cautious anyways..

~phobiac~ said...

hey anu one doubt....

TL sister ??...Tl- na yenna ??

and vani...

Podi pisa !.....Pisa -na yenna ??

Vani Viswanathan said...

senthil,
solradhellam sollittu "jus kidding"-nu ezhudittu escape aidlaamnu nenakareengla? romba nalla technique!!!

shiva,
it's just a story right....doesn't matter....now i think if i want to be cautious i have to answer the questions in a way that the person is not prompted to ask more!

Vani Viswanathan said...

phobiac,
TL naa theriyadha!!! cha cha....
and second, naa pisa-nnu sonnadhu anu-va...why neenga very bothered? :P

~phobiac~ said...

yenna...TL-na yenna avvalovu famous word-a ??....sathiyama naan 23yrs-la this is the first timekekaren....

ills 'pisa' na yenna jus curious....

by the way..hand kodunga....yen life la yenakku respect kodutha sila per...illa first aalu neenga thaan !!! danx !!

Anonymous said...

mandala masala