That Whole Irritating Business

, , 2 comments
Well, I'm talking about plaiting my hair. Hey, don't dismiss it as something trivial or silly; it could get really irritating, I tell you, as I make yet another, vain, eighth try to plait my hair properly.
It's sometimes a curse to live with long hair, and even a bigger curse if you won't leave it free all the time. Here I am, at times bogged by cultural expectations, and at times by my own irritation, trying to plait my hair and look presentable. At some of these quite rare moments, my plaiting abilities completely fail me. Now, I desperately stare at myself in the mirror, trying to assess how my plait looks. "Is it fine?" Well, sadly, no. There is this huge block of hair in the right showing up unnecessarily...hey, I did try to push that into the plait...but that didn't work. Now there it is, appearing as a new kind of style Americans would probably be willing to adopt( yeah, I've been creating fashion statements here, but I've still not got the plait I wanted!) Hmm, so there I go again, removing the previous plait. Now, (for the ninth time), I'm trying something different. I have fixed some hair pins at all random possible places on my head(!) and have started the procedure again. Lo! The plait was actually turning out to be fine! I put the plait in front and went on to complete it. Oh dear! That spoiled the whole thing. That American style showed up again, and here I am, trying to vent off my irritation caused by the damn thing.
So off I go again, to try plaiting my hair better. Ma, I know what you'll say when you see this - "God save my younger daughter..."
Yeah, God help me and my plait.

2 comments:

Vinesh said...

Going through your older posts...
Very interesting blog you have here..

From your profile, I can see that most of our interests are the same...except that I'm a bigger Raaja fan than Rahman :-D

Anonymous said...

Hi, whats about the pressure to keep your hair long and hence suffer plaiting it. Why not have short hair? Take a scissor and snip it off. As I did.