From Gujju land

, , 19 comments
The first thing I noticed when I landed in the Ahmedabad airport was the way ‘a’ was so skewed up in Gujarati. This of course, only beside the sweltering heat that made me feel Chennai is way better, really. I felt like I was walking through a furnace – and grimaced at the thought that just a few minutes back, I had to hug myself to keep warm in the crazy Air Deccan flight.

Well, Air Deccan did turn out to be better than people had described – it wasn’t noisy, and the aircraft wasn’t like a taxi. It was a decent airbus, and I was quite comforted at that. No food, of course… this was the first time I was taking a budget airline in India, and it definitely was just as (errr…) good as the domsetic Air India or Indian Airlines flights I’ve been in before.

After 2 busy days in Bangalore with my sister and one hurried one-day trip to Chennai, I’m home in Ahmedabad 5 days after I landed in India. The new place is weird, different – I can’t believe this is actually my home and I’m not in someone else’s home for just a vacation. It’s tough to accept! The city’s good, though. Unless you discount the heat. It’s still sort of bright at 8 in the evening, the roads are so broad, I can’t believe this is an Indian city, and they’re really clean too. And my ‘new’ home is a bit old, though… I feel like I’m living in some house built in the 80s (I think this was!!), with its old-fashioned rooms and style of the apartment. It’s apparently located in a posh locality, but we’re yet to have a 24-hour broadband Internet connection. So much for living in an area where police commissioners, judges and mayors are our neighbours.


New place, new home, new life. Lots of things are different this time. Darn, I miss my Chennai home and Chennai itself (of course!). But damn, it’s great to be home.

PS: All you people in Chennai now (lucky ones!!), there’s going to be a bloggers’ meet at Ascendas in Taramani on 24th Jun in the evening. Do check out Mark’s blog for more details!

19 comments:

Vinesh said...

You're lucky with Air Deccan..
It has played havoc with many people's schedules :-)

Aravind said...

By the time u get used to ur new home, i think, it will be time for u to go back to singapore!!! LOL

Ranajay said...

Welcome to Central India :D!!! I think you've now earned the distinction of being situated closet to my home town, Indore (amongst all the other NTUites) :P

Ramanujam said...

have a nice stay and also there are quite a few interesting places in gujrat to visit.....
everyone will miss u at the Bloggers meet :(

Neha said...

Hi! Hope u have a nice stay in Ahd. :)

Anonymous said...

hmmmm ... u make it sound like a dry and dull place ... invokes memories of the wild west tat u usually see in those spaghetti western movies .... anyway any chance u would be posting pics of your new hometown ?? ...

and before i forget it, i think somebody in the last post commented that u should put ur time to good use and learn some cooking ..... well hope u dun get involved in any police cases due to food poisoning ... *grin* ... yup, i know i have a very lame sense of humour .... anyway see u back in good ol singapore pretty soon ...

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

so your blog's title gona change to => ahmedabadgalwrites ;) ???

Vani Viswanathan said...

hey bulz!!!
great to see you here.. and yes, new home is lots of fun!!

vinesh,
hehe.. it did start half an hour late, though... shouldn't it keep up with its name? :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

aravind,
huh!! no worries.. there's always a next time! :P

ranajay,
wow.. i thought u'd completely gone off internet... so you are around ;)
and when did gujju land become part of central india? :P but yeah, close to indore it is!!

Vani Viswanathan said...

ramanujam,
yup!! slowly exploring!!
so sorry about the bloggers' meet... i felt really bad i couldn't make it on the 20th... hope the one on 24th is as fun!! and mark promised some bajji on my behalf too ;)

neha,
thanks! chennai ROCKS!!

Vani Viswanathan said...

dante,
it's by no means dull.. it's just dry, because it's way too hot!!! yup, shall post some pics when i click ones i think are nice, maybe :P
and cooking, yeah.. let's see!! people at home should be fortunate to eat stuff i've cooked!!

subras,
ahh.. no... remember the previous post where i'd said 'i'll still be chennaigal?' ;)

Harish said...

wow...in Ahemadabad? I was in Kandla port for 12 years. the heat in Gujju land saps your energy like hell. Worse...its damn cold in winter. We used to wear sweater and gloves to our schools. Funny old days :-)

Harish said...

eating jelabis at 8 a.m yet? :)

Aconfusedsoul said...

enna thaan irundhalum chennai pola varuma?? :) anyways, this trip wud be be a new experience..

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

gujju land la internet access romba kashtama enna? new post vara delay aaguthu :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish,
god, don't remind me that i have to come down in winter... enakku winter naale allergy! :(

magix,
hehe... am still eating stuff off streets, so it'll be a while before i get down to that level!

Vani Viswanathan said...

f2f,
it's an interesting experience!!!

subras,
can't be online for too long, coz my mum gets bored! :P that's why i haven't even visited others' blogs... so yeah, shall put one up soon!

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

hey itz ok..just kidding..... neeyae india ku once in a while than coming.. so make sure you enjoy to the fullest with family, wherever you are :)

Revs said...

i have been in jamnagar(about 6 hrs from ahemdabad) for about 16 yrs and trust me gujarat is a beautiful place with amazing ppl (though i prefer chennai after being here for just 4 yrs)...u ll get used to it..and gujarati is quite easy to learn!!;)
gonna change the name of ur blog to gujjugalwrites eh?? :D