My unique victory lap

, , 15 comments
There are so many regrets I have in life, including not learning swimming or to play any sport. Looks like my parents were too bent on just getting me to learn to sing carnatic music professionally, which though I was good at, disliked many a time.

But yeah, blame me too. I was never even remotely interested in sports, except for those yearly-once sessions when I had to recruit athletes for my house for the inter-house sports meet every year. Funny that I had to head a team which had some of the brilliant sportspersons in the girls’ wing. The only thing that consoled me was that I was good with marching ;), and could carry off the house banner or flag pretty well.

It so happens that my school actually conducts exams for giving us PT grades for the board exam. Religiously, during our class X and XII, our PT teachers would make all forty of us line up, and watch most of us crazily running through our long jump, and dropping the shot-put ball right near our feet with a yelp of pain.

Class XII board exam PT ‘exam’ is the craziest and funniest PT exam I’ve ever taken. We were asked to do everything from long jump, high jump, throw the ball into the basketball ring, of which I could do only the last thing (anything-close-to) well. The other things were an absolute fiasco, and I searched for consolation in the fact that I wasn’t alone.

Then was the running race ‘test’. The teacher divided us into groups according to our attendance list, and as usual, I was the last but one. My group had just three of us. As did all the other groups, the three of us planned that we would run in the same speed so nobody would finish first and nobody, the last.
And the races began.

In every group, some girl managed to come first, while the rest more or less finished at the same speed. Smart.
When it was our turn, the three of us decided to stick to our resolution. Well, my faint idea was that someone among the three would go first so that the teacher wouldn’t recognise our plan. I mean, just slightly overtake the other two.
We positioned ourselves on one end of the ground.
The teacher blew her whistle.

The three of us ran, and within seconds, we all managed to adjust our speeds to the same. We were running at the same speed, and being in the centre, I could see that we were all running in the same line.
Well, I really wished someone would shoot ahead and go first.
But no, apparently we would resolutely stick to our plan.
All the three of us were still running at the same speed.

And lo, we had finished the race to great cheers from our classmates. As we finished, all three of us doubled up in laughter, for we had run at the speed in which people usually perform victory laps. I fell on the ground, clutching my stomach hard, unable to control my laughter, as the teacher came to us.
‘You think I didn’t know your plan?’ she asked.
Hitler, Hitler.
‘I’m going to fail you.’
Feeling-less me, I smiled back at her. I tried to stop, for my mind was warning me – ‘Thimuru unakku, stop smiling’. But no, I wouldn’t, and continued grinning at her, panting.
She glared at me like she had innumerable number of times before. The house captain she hated the most.

Of course, I didn’t fail the PT exam, like she had threatened (I mean, of course, she can’t do that!!!).
But she did get her revenge. While everyone else got an A1 in PT, I got an A2. But yeah, I won :)


PS: Do read the post below as well. Your help really counts!!!

15 comments:

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

:) thatz a real situation.... unable to control the laughter when u shud not laugh :)

Anonymous said...

loved the title .. good blog u have here .. been reading for a while now .. but too lazy to put a comment ..
~rk

Wetfingers said...

Nothin'great for a long time!But D.A.V girls are physically retarded!(expectin one rite back at us!)

P.S. If yu really want the las' one to be read, put a pic and cut down on words.

The Talkative Man said...

Of all people you were the house captain? ;-)

Aravind said...

he he ... gud one..

PT ku exam ellam vekkaraangaLa? coming across something like this for the first time!!!

Vani Viswanathan said...

rsubras,
and unfortunately i'm always caught in one such situation!

anon (RK?)
Thanks!! but do shake off your laziness and comment,please! :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

wetfingers,
@Nothin'great for a long time
sigh, i never seem to be reaching your expectations! :(
DAV Girls...choose what and what not to be enthused for...you see, we have different priorities in life ;) than crazily running around kicking footballs or jumping over poles! :P
and hey, you've given me an idea! let me try to work on it..

TM,
haha, well, i seemed qualified! :P

Aravind,
Yeah, that's my school for ya!

Anonymous said...

...Shanki doodle went to the town riding on a luna..
..she was horrible..is she still around? I wished that the giant tree would fall on her...

-Not so anon School Sr.

Ramanujam said...

PT laam exam ah????
paper la exam ezhudave kazhtama irukku!!!!
kali kaalam...

Anonymous said...

sounds like the NAPFA test that singaporean kids have to go thru in their secondary school days .... National Association of Physical Fitness Award .... we had the bronze, silver and gold awards and i only managed to qualify for the bronze award .... *grin*

then we had the Individual Physical Proficiency Test or IPPT in the army which involves running 2.4 km in below 12 mins, 6 chin ups, 50 sit-ups in under a minute, shuttle run timing of under 40 seconds and standing broad jump above 2.16m just to pass the test ....those who do better get the silver and gold awards .....

Asha said...

Yea, it sounds like what dante said..

But at the least you won captain..hehe, kudos!

tris said...

There were 2 of them right. One fat and dark the other thin - like Laurel and Hardy.

I wish they would both drop dead especially the fat one.

I forget their names - been too long.

Vani Viswanathan said...

Not so anon school sr.,
I have no idea! i'll go check out when i go to school after more than a year ;)

ramanujam,
seriously...mutthipoidchu!!

Vani Viswanathan said...

dante,
whew, my school's better!

asha,
hehe...won the captain? lol...i nearly begged my teachers not to give me captaincy in my high school...but something lighter...but who even heeds our opinions?

tilo,
i think the fat one's kodhai ma'am...don't remember the thin one's name...
yup, it's been too long!

Enigma said...

cute one there...wonder how u managed 2 pant after a jog though!!!