Bollywood Blunders

, , 19 comments
As I desperately searched for newer music to keep me going while studying something as ‘interesting’ as accounting, I realised there were many Hindi songs that I liked but didn’t have. So I downloaded them from my friend’s computer, and sat down with the huge book with a flourish, with all the songs in my playlist.

I was happy for about half an hour to listen to those songs after a long time, for a while, but beyond a point, I started getting irritated. I don’t know why (pardon some bias from my side too) but every song began to sound similar to some other song I had in the list.

I have to confess I don’t like Hindi that much, I have no idea why, that I wouldn’t speak it unless in dire situations when I can’t get myself understood in any other way. Having lived in the South all my life, my only regular input of Hindi was from the (many-a-time sickening) Bollywood movies.

I watched, as SRK aged and still played a Rahul or Rohit or Raj and heroines were still Pooja or Priya. I watched as random people came in and out doing things in the name of comedy. I watched as Bollywood-ians rejected songs or movies generally deemed as hit or critically claimed elsewhere.

And years later, even now, nothing seems to have changed. Bollywood remains the same, only more sophisticated. Once in a while, someone gives something worth watching like Swades, RDB or Black. Otherwise, Bollywood continues in its same annoying monotone, churning out movies like Veer-Zaara, Mohabattein or the more recent Fanaa. Interesting story lines these movies have, but they falter in an unimaginable way and come down crumbling like a pack of cards, well at least in my opinion.

And hence, I’ve taken a vow that I will never watch a Bollywood product in the cinema unless it has good songs, so I don’t feel like I’ve wasted good money on something utterly useless – at least I have the songs to look forward to.

Talk about the songs – oh my God, there are just hand-countable songs that are fresh. Every other song has pyaar, deewana, jadu, marna kisi ke bina, rasta kho jana, dil dena, or jeena and well, you get the drift. The dholak or the tabla inevitably enters at some point in the song, and at least once you’ll find women in the background crooning la-la-la’s, hmm-hmm-hmm’s or something. Seriously, for once, I even appreciate Harris Jeyaraj’s Zulos and Iska maskas. At least he’s more imaginative with the humming.

Oh well, God show Hindi movies a way. Every time I realise that some only-watch-Bollywood-movies people don’t know about some movies down South, I feel bad that they are missing some good stuff. Maybe we need subtitles for all Indian movies released all over. I feel bad for the only-Bollywood-movies watchers.
Bollywood should just get more creative.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

"del pyasa ayae" from kucha kucha hota hai and "mere mehboob mere sanam" ...... only these 2 hindi songs linger in my memory ... nice melody ... then again, i dun speak hindi so no idea wat they are singing about ... bollywood movies aren't known for their orginality .. either a poor rip-off of some hollywood movies or some regional movies .... and not forgetting their dime-a-dozen love stories .... but then again, the gals look juz amazing ...*grin* ... and that according to me is their selling point ..... even the guys are better looking ... juz compare sharukh or slaman khan to freaking, fat slob vijaykanth .... and it seems like newton's law of gravity doesn't apply to vijaykanth, huh .... u would think it would be even impossible to let alone move his feet a few feet with all tat weight but then he amazes everybody by doing a double 360 degrees somersault in the air .... *wink*... sooo guess both bolly and kolly wood have their pros and cons .... personnally i prefer cute gals to neckless vijaykanth ...but then again, maybe it's only me ...

Anonymous said...

(p.s. is it raining over at ur side of the island ... it's raining like crazy over here not forgetting the strong winds ... the perfect sorta day to curl up with a nice book ... hmmm, i like ... )

Sat said...

right about the lyrics ....I used to feel the same way...you had a deewana; and the next line you could almost predict an Anjana. they either are crooning 'lut gaye tere pyar mein' or ' badnam ho gaye'. Creativity , Originality! Ironically I am listening to one of my fav hindi songs 'Tum itna jo muskura rahe ho...' as am typing this.
Hey you almost forgot the nasal kings Kumar 'haeeeee' Sanu and Himesh 'I can't take anymore' Reshamiya

Enigma said...

cant say i xactly agree wid u... yes Hindi Songs of late have been pretty boring with few exceptions but i dont think the south is any more th better, i opine that its even worse when it comes to movies here.

Vani Viswanathan said...

dante,
obviously your expectations from a movie are different!! :)

sat,
haha..if i start talking about individual singers and so on, i'll be in deep trouble! ;)

karthik,
i disagree. down south, we do have much more creativity with respect to treatment of movie themes. we're not stuck with silly romances, affairs or gangster movies. we do branch out often, and those do pay. some movies we like here can never do well up north. of course, the audience make-up there is different, but i definitely find the south's movie industry, esp malayalam, telugu and tamil much more refreshing!

Wetfingers said...

Rahul bose and konkana sen movies, 'My brother nikhil'....
Do see these movies and comment! ABCD,thirupathi,...heh! Regional divide??

Mohan K.V said...

Humming, ahhh, there, madam, you've hit a raw nerve. I simply can't stand it!
But with regard to your defence of the South's orginality, I have only to drop the name of His Majesty, and all logic and reason will crumble like anthills against a cyclone. Yes, I'm talking of none other than The Balayya Phenomenon in Telugu!

Vani Viswanathan said...

wetfingers,
sure, there are really different ones coming up in hindi - but i feel they are few and far between! and definitely we have loads of crappy movies in tamil too :P but we do have more good ones down south than there, i think!!

mohan,
lol...i'm not even gonna attempt cover ing up how laws of Newton don't work for these guys...that's seriously one area where the south has to GROW up!!

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

o.k u've hit (although unintentional)a hot topic, north vs south :)

antha topic kullaye varama velila irunthu comment panren... narration nala irunthuchi.. :) btw, exam mudinjatha sonne(enga) la? appuram enna accounts padippu

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

aaha naan comment panna munnadi u have commented ah.....

btw inniku than konjoondu free time kidaichathu enakku after 2 days continuously at office :), was just thinking what to post.......

why dont u put a post on how u develop idea for story etc., engala maathiri ppl ku useful ah irukume...

Vijay Ramamurthi said...

very tru its pretty much the same thing every where...other the occassional movies..everthing else is crap...but for sure
it is certainly applies to all southindian movies.. too
and btw its just my opinion that language is a very important factor...providing sub titles wouldnt in a lot of cases do justice to the movie.

Harish said...

if the movie no have rahman moojic, me the usually no go :D

yebba, romba naal aachu indha pakkam vandhu!

Anonymous said...

LOL at I even appreciate Harris Jeyaraj’s Zulos and Iska maskas

u said u wud henceforth watch bollywood movies only if they have good songs.now what have songs got to do with a movie being good or bad?

Aravind said...

>> I watched as random people came in and out doing things in the name of comedy

me too think that comedy is really bad in hindi movies... too inane... Even tamil movies hav stupid comedy sequences - but in hindi it is worse!!

And about the lyrics - good to see fresh lyrics by Prasoon Joshi in RDB

Vani Viswanathan said...

subras,
ahh...accounting is a special semester subject, so it has an exam - tomorrow!

vijay,
well, language is important, of course...but many other things make a movie...and we may miss those just because we refuse to watch it if the language is different!

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish,
EXACTLY!
same pinch ;)

sheks,
that means even if the movie sucks, i can watch/hear the songs in dolby/DTS! :)

aravind,
hehe...things click well when rahman's around!!

Anonymous said...

sooo how did u fare on your accounting exam ... if i'm not wrong, it's today rite ... walk in the park or ..... anyway think u missed my comments in your earlier post ... either tat or u juz didn't want to respond .... *grin* .. anyway since u are going back home, would love to see pics of your hometown in ur blog ... tat would be mucho interesting ....

(p.s. and how about english movies ... do u only watch the musicals since the rest don't have songs ..... by the way, try to catch "slithers" ... sorta a hark back to the campy 60's and 70's "B" sci-fi movies ..... *grin* ... but dun blame me, if u get grossed out ... )

Anonymous said...

how could u write off an entire culture like that? have u exhausted the whole gamut right from Naushad to SEL?
Check out the 60s and 70s.

Vani Viswanathan said...

dante,
uhh let's skip that topic!!

ttm,
definitely, i LOVE music from the 60s and 70s, in fact i think that's when hindi movies had their best music. RD Burman's best ever! i 'm sorry i haven't been clear in this post, but it's just about contemporary indian cinema.