PowerGlue and I

, , 26 comments
I was fretting about more than usual for a presentation. The next day was my final presentation to be made before the entire creative department of the ad agency I was interning in – it was the decisive presentation for the grade the agency would give me. A chill ran down my spine every time I thought of the fat, funkily-bespectacled-rosary-on-his-neck creative head who was infamous for the way he graded the interns. I felt like I was going to my grave.

Everything had to be perfect for the d-day. I checked my formal suit for the umpteenth time and brushed the dust off the coat. My room mate laughed.
‘The suit might just rip apart for all the brushing you do!’ she joked.
I smiled at her courteously. Poor thing, she was trying to alleviate my tension. Nothing seemed to ease me, though.
I then went out and brought my only pair of black, formal shoes.
‘Nina, is this fine?’ I asked my room mate.
She carefully looked at the pair of shoes.
‘Hmm…should be good! Why don’t you try wearing it with the coat…so we could just check if they match?’
I put the shoes on, and wore the dull grey coat. They matched quite well.
Whew, at least this is fine, I thought.
I sashayed around a little bit. I was quite thrilled because this was the first time I was wearing the new suit. For an all-important occasion that too.


Then it happened. My clumsiness chose to show its head out, and I hit my leg hard against the leg of the cot. And fell down. And broke the heel of one of the shoes.
Suddenly everything was going wrong.
I groaned with pain, and after seeing the heel that just came off on my hand like a piece of cake, in agony. My face fell, and my head was swirling with pain, depression and anger.
Nina quickly came to the rescue. She helped me get on my feet and examined the broken heel.
‘No worries, we can fix it,’ she said.
I smiled, despite the smarting pain in my left leg. Smart, smart Nina. Nina who always had a solution at hand.
She quickly rummaged into her draw and brought out a tube of PowerGlue. ‘Really, sticks anything,’ she said.
We glued the heel and the part of the shoe which held the heel. It stuck. Stuck hard. I sighed with relief.


As I tried to put the shoe away, I realised something with horror. I mean, it was terrifying. Two of my fingers were stuck to the heel of the shoe we were trying to fix. Try as I might, I couldn’t pull it apart.
I cried out with a yelp of pain. I tried hard again as Nina tried to moisten the stuck fingertips with water to help them come out from the shoe.
Of course, it shouldn’t work, my mind told me. My presentation the next day has to get screwed up.
Fifteen minutes later, another girl and two other guys had tried to take the damned shoe apart so that my fingers would come off it. It didn’t help. I was almost getting used to having a shoe in my left hand. My mind was conjuring up scary images of me having to live with the shoe for life.


Then Vik decided it was time to go to the hospital. I freaked out, thinking of what they could possibly do to detach the shoe from my fingers.
‘No, Sarah,’ he told me. ‘That’s the only way!’
Reluctantly, I agreed. Of course, I can’t live with a shoe in my left hand forever.
It was 12:15 in the night. And five of us ran into the emergency section of the nearest hospital we could find.


It was the most embarrassing thing for me to show the doctor two fingers stuck ferociously to a heeled shoe (the heel was stuck well now, as you may know!). The doctor couldn’t control his smile as he saw a 22-year-old girl helplessly hiding her embarrassment while he examined the situation.
It took just 20 minutes for them to get the shoe off my fingers. I was in a daze when they were doing it, sweating profusely with fear for the presentation I had to make in another 9 hours.
When my fingers were finally free, I didn’t even realise it. Nina had helped me on to bed in the room, and I had just dozed off in a daze again. When I awoke the next morning, I saw a plaster covering my ring and middle fingers. I decided to be nice and didn’t curse the damned black shoe or the glue that had caused so much trouble.


I went to my office, well dressed, confident and prepared. After all, nothing could go terribly wrong, isn’t it?
Well, it happens that day wasn’t really my day. 7 minutes before the presentation, as I was pacing the corridors of the conference hall in heights of anxiety, the heel of the right shoe broke off.
‘Damn you!!!’ I screamed with all anger I could muster. Tony, my co-intern, came in running from the next room.
‘Sarah…is anything wro-?’ he began to ask and paused, as I bitterly held the heel of the other shoe in my hand. God, I thought, what more?!


‘Ah, dear…that’s no problem, I’ll fix it for you in a jiffy…just wait right here,’ said Tony and ran to his desk.
He came back in a minute holding a little tube which he gave me, saying, ‘Sticks anything, you know?’
I took the tube from him.
PowerGlue.
‘Oh yeah, I know,’ I told him. And put the tube away, muttering the most random excuse that came into my mind for not using it.

The presentation actually went well. Except of course, the frequent stares my shoeless-stockinged barefoot legs got from time to time from the creative head and most of the other people. I’m waiting for my evaluation.

26 comments:

Kausikram Krishnasayee said...

Sarah was the least bit creative, all she should have done was rip the other shoe's heel and must have walked out with a heelless shoe

Anonymous said...

is this fiction? o

Vani Viswanathan said...

mark...
na-ah...formal shoes should have heels, you know??? ;)

anon,
why does it matter? i'm not Sarah, anyways!

Ramanujam said...

shoe struck to the fingers ah....nenachi patha siripa vardhu!!
use should have tried oil instead of water, glue would give away....
newway ATB 4 ur eval:)

Krish said...

Well..Reminds me of the scene in the film American Pie...err..atleast Sara got stuck with heels;)

Anu said...

hehe.. cool one! :)..and I liked that abrupt ending (unlike a fairy tale!)

Anonymous said...

haha damn funny story, only if this had happened to you.

Sat said...

You see, I came across a video on one of those amazing video shows on AXN long back; a boxer's Momma hits the daylights out of his opponent with her high heeled shoes!…lethal weapon!…Shame, they just don't make such strong shoes anymore :)
funny read though :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

ramanujam,
oil?? i don't think nina knows that ;)
and why're you telling me all the best?!

krish,
PERVY!!! :P
hahahaha!!!!

Vani Viswanathan said...

anu,
thanks, da...glad madam master-storyteller liked it! :P

vishnu,
oh my god, why do you wish it had happened to me?!
thanks! :)

sat,
seriously, flimsy heels and all that and women these ain't delicate enough to handle those, are we?
thanks!

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

ivlo periya post padikkira alavu ippothaiku time illae :D will read it some other time...

but comment panniten :-)

Vani Viswanathan said...

ayyo...idenna 'ullen aiyya' range attendance-ah? it's ok, subras, i'll wait till you read the post! :)

Wetfingers said...

Oru small mattera, mega serial range-illa ezhudharai. Sitcom Selvi is being shot in sing. , maybe yu can help. Climaxla punch-a innu effect oda kodutha nala irukkum!

Harish said...

Evertything is defenitely funny as long as it doesnt happen to us...
Enakku romba naala doubt...inda ponnunga eppadi thaan High heels pottu nadakiraangalo...

Vani Viswanathan said...

kevin :P,
that's the difference in writing...otherwise what's there to make me different from anyone else who tells a story? :)
and about the ending..i like it this way...abrupt, like my sister pointed out here...i feel it transfers some comical irony to the story!

harish,
i wonder how, too! i can't walk even with those 'flat' heels...err, what do ppl call them??
and hey, why that statement 'eth is funny as long as it doesn't happen to us'?

Harish said...

well..that was not sarcasm...i agree that this whole situation that you depicted did sound funny...but when we put ourselves in the same shoes...it appears dreadfull...
I have to agree that if i had been in the same situation as Sarah did i too would have felt like killing the inventor of Superglue :-)

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

Narration mattum nalla irukku :)

Title is not apt... innum catchy ah irunthirukkalam

and the object of attraction - Powerglue and the finger sticking to it..... doesnt evoke any smile....

oops am reviewing ur story ah :))

sorry sorry.... romba nala irunthuchu vani..aama en ippo lam en blog pakkam varathillae?

Vani Viswanathan said...

harish,
oh no, i didn't find that sarcastic, was just wondering why it was here with a random story about a girl whose fingers get stuck to her shoe!

subras,
haha...u by all means can review it!! i didn't like the title too, but just couldn't think of anything else...and oh, i visited ur blog even today...wid ur calculations of how many hours u've been working...just don't comment regularly, that's all! :) been a bit busy...once i go back, i should find more time!!

Mohan K.V said...

The first paragraph was awesome! I wish I could write opening lines like that.. It sounds SO real!

Vani Viswanathan said...

welcome, Mohan!

Sandhya Ramachandran said...

En exams kulle nee romba ezhuditta!!! Vandhu ellam padikkaren!!! {Promise promise. And me will be here on 20th! :) U comin for the blog meet??? :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

sandhya,
hehe..ur exams have been going on for that long!!
bloggers' meet...surely...as long as it's in a convenient location and time...and my grandparents don't get angry or anxious!
whew!!!!!

Anonymous said...

well i was gonna comment yesterday but it seems like blogspot was experiencing some technical difficulties .... anyway is it just me or do i sense a feeling of deja-vu ... sorta seems like i remember reading a similar story somewhere or was it on ur blog .... hell, why do i have such a bad memeory ...

"fat, funkily-bespectacled-rosary-on-his-neck creative head" ... huh, wat are u trying to say .... seems like u are trying way too hard to convey the msg tat the head was a fashionable guy ... and where else would a rosary be other than the neck ... seems to me like a hit and miss ....

well heeled gals are a favourite of mine .... is it juz me or do gals in stiletto's always look sexy ... *grin* ... but enuff about my fetishes .... still remember the time two of my fingers got stuck together due to the "improper" usage of superglue ... at first it was sorta cool, at least i tot so since i could sport the start trek greeting all the time with minimal effort .... couldn't remember how i got it unstuck thou ... think i sucked on it until the glue dissolved .... anyway u never mentioned how the doctor got the heel off her hand ....

(p.s. blogger meet ... is it only for blogger or do ardent "comment-ators" also allowed to attend ???)

Anonymous said...

i menat to say "star trek" and not "start trek" ....

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

i think something happend to your latest post..ennala comment section eh paarka mudilae :)

Unknown said...

Hope it didn't really happen