Moved to tears!

, , 14 comments
Most of my friend-girls often wonder how I can be so. They even call me hard hearted at times. And I do feel like agreeing with them, but no, you don't have to agree, says the other me. You're just not being a sentimental *fool*, it says. (you'll get to hear a lot of what the "other me" says....)
Well, all this is in reference to how I react to an emotional movie or book. While most of my friends shed a tear or two or at least choke, I sit with no emotion.
"How, Vani.." they ask, "how can you sit like an emotionless being?"
I just laugh.
It's quite a surprise to them that I don't cry for emotional scenes in a movie or a book(in fact I sometimes go to the extent of laughing looking at some guy emoting!!). There've been many instances of my friends reacting (or can I say over-reacting) for some situations, let me give you one example. My dear friend Sandhya(read her blogs at http://thedreamydryad.blogspot.com), the one who made my dream of blogging a kind of reality(I was too lazy till she started one and gave me inspi) burst into tears as she watched Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone movie, as she was so happy to see Harry on screen. (I hope all this is true Sandy!)
All my friends also recollect of how they silently shed tears as Di Caprio froze( ;) ) in the sea in Titanic, and I told them I didn't really feel much, except that they made a cute guy like him die!!
I also remember lending one of my friends the book "Little Women" in my 8th class. She read the book before me and returned it to me saying that it made her cry like mad and her people at home were shocked that she was crying so much for a book.
I was thrilled. I hurriedly started reading the book, but damn, the book got over before it could give me an opportunity to cry. I asked her later what she cried.
"What!! I wept when Beth was dying.." she said.
Oh, that wasn't much, not enough to make you cry at least.
And this really made me think if I was actually hard hearted, because the friend I had given the book to wasn't one who'll cry for such stuff.
Well, it just feels nice to be one girl who won't cry for the things that others cry for, but at times I feel so sad that I'm not like them, not like them in the girlish sense. This, coupled with frequent comments from home that I should've been born a boy (Oh my God... NO!!!!) make me reflect on whether I'm actually boyish.
Nowadays I've even stopped thinking of all that. I enjoy being myself so much that I don't care if I'm boyish or girlish. I'm a great mixture of both, being more of one at one time than the other. Maybe the idea that it's just a movie or a book and that the things I see don't really exist is firmly rooted in my mind!!!!
I love me, and that's great to feel! But not to high and psychic levels to be a narcissist!!!
Hey, is someone shedding tears of happiness for me?? :D

14 comments:

Krish said...

Iam still grappling with the thought that Guys shoudnt cry....Then I am not a guy...I cry for certain highly emotional things..like when Rajni cries in Thalapathi, when Mamooty is killed...not for the emotion...but for Rajni(he shouldnt be made to cry u know..)...When Vadivelu makes those sounds that are popularly known as comedy in tamil cinema circles...I cry...I cry my heart out...Not for the people..but for the tragedy of calling it a comedy...
The onething I truly cried for,was when I saw the IIT results(in 1998) and my name wasnt there....after that I had seldom cried...*sigh* far too much water to waste in tears..that too in chennai's heat...not affordable...

saranyan r said...

Prescription: Watch Narasimha

Expected Results: you will definitely cry, not knowing if it was because of the comedy, or captains presence, or the entire units stupidity, or just because you are watching it :)

by the way, who said crying is girlish.

Sriram said...

Hey! Was blog hopping as usual and landed up here. Nice to se a fellow chennai blogger who's in the US (assumption is the mother of all f***-ups?). anyways, not to irritate u in my first comment on your blog, to cry IS a girl thing. A guy who cries for a movie is not called a guy. rather, he's called a guy with an "a "instead of a "u" (Ha! my first word puzzle!) chill out a lil girl. tis fine if u don't cry. infact, i hate girls crying. (ok, girls crying is ok if they look cute doing it! and guys crying is plain disgusting). nice blog! looks like a fun link to add to my blog. u blogroll?

Sriram said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sriram said...

me correcting myself on the assumption that u r in the US. Thankoo.

Vani Viswanathan said...

Saranyan and Krish,
I'll watch Narasimha and Thalapathi...if they make u cry, maybe they'll make me cry too! Atually I'll be too engrossed trying to note some details in the ManiRatnam movie so I guess I won't cry! ;) But Narasimha is worth a try!!!!
And Sriram, right, I'm NOT in the US..thanks for "hopping-by"! Umm, sorry..I'd like to blogroll but dunno how to do it!

Kay said...

If u watch narashima sirichi sirichi palellam sulikikkum.

once u try my roommates sambhar
"kannula thani vetchipel"

Krish said...

Blogrolling can be done by opening an account with blogrolling.com(free a/c ofcourse)...or if you know HTML u can jus type the addresses in the template...I suppose u dont know HTML...so the best thing to do is to get urselves an account with blogrolling and cut and paste the code into the template at the place, where u need it to be visible...please feel free to mail me in case u need some help...

Chakra said...

Saranyan's prescription wd definitely work.. what a movie that was. If you still don't cry, try Vaanchinathan, Raajiyam etc.

Anu said...

I see a huge Vijayakant fan club here..;))
Anyways, Vans its definitely worth a try!:) I remember one song in the movie Gajendra, "Gaja varaanda...Gaja varaanda..", I laughed and laughed and started crying..probably that would help!!

And btw, crying is not a "girlish" tendency honey..and of course, from my point of view, I am a very sensitive person and do cry when seeing movies or something really touching...You know!

Vani Viswanathan said...

hahaha...
i know, captain always is in too much discussion in all these people's blogs!!!!omg, i gotta catch them this vacation!!!!! i'll surely let u guys know if i cry, and as anu said, naan azhardhu sirichu sirichudhaan irukkum!!!! the surprising thing is anu, i've nv seen u cry for movies!!!!!

Melissa said...

Hahah... I didn't cry at movies either... my friends always said I had inactive tearducts... I guess at the back of my mind there'd always be a logical dry voice saying "why cry?" haha...Now I cry more as a form of stress relief (ok i know this sounds weird?) and to exercise my tear ducts. But it's still a conscious and logical decision. I think it's cool not to cry (when there's no reason to) and u don't have to try to! =)

Raju said...

may be its called idol state...if u can guess the further happenings of any moment or if u have ability to watch pros and cons of the situation that doesn't make any influence on u ...it is very difficult to reach that idol state only very few people can reach that position but u didn't reached that position...u just trying ur self 2 make odd from others but ur not truly...after reading this u thought me mad ...

Anonymous said...

hai i m pushpa call gal chennai call me @ 044 24913244