Why an 18 year old shouldn't cook

, , 13 comments
Reading the comments for my previous post, I realize that all that I can do at my best is to laugh away to tears. And this reminds me of my innumerable attempts to cook in my hall canteen and how I've still managed to survive.
It was only after I came here that I fully knew how to operate a microwave. So the first time I had to use it, I was bewildered at all those buttons they had, and took my Thai roomie along with me to the kitchen so that she'll be able to help me. All I had to do was to keep a vessel with rice in it for 11 minutes.
I listened carefully as Tutu(that's her name..) instructed me on what to do. I did as she told and right next to it, trying to peep in through the glass door and see what was happening : I found the whole idea funny and, actually cute, to see the vessel slowly turning inside.
"No, no, don't stand there", said Tutu. " you might catch the microwave radiations, and they might be really harmful..."
Oh my god, not what I wanted.
I stood elsewhere in the pantry. And Tutu soon had to leave, she couldn't wait for the whole 11 minutes with me.
And as she left, she said "Make sure you know where the fire extinguisher is, just in case"
Boy, I was scared and immediately rushed out. Thank God, Singaporeans were intelligent and had an extinguisher very near the pantry.
This was just the beginning of my cooking adventures.
All this while I had only used the microwave. Now, I had to try the gas stove once. I knew these things were automatic (man, what in Singapore ain't automatic??) and that I just had to turn the knob to light the stove. I do that, and whoa! the stove is lit with a bang... and louder than that was my heart beating so loudly.... you know, I've like never seen stoves getting lit by themselves, sounds quite scary!!!!
The next was to make maggi. I didn't have a pan so I couldn't use the stove and instead used a microwaveable vessel to put it in the oven for 2 minutes.
Darn!! The maggi was all done, but that 'water' part of it had flown out of the vessel and the microwave plate was fully drenched in maggi thanni. Enakku irukkara velai poraadhunnu oven-a vera clean pannindu irundhean, and guess, with what?? Tissue paper from the loo ! ;) ....theviya kadavule!!
But what beats the whole list of my kitchen adventures is the paratha experience. My friend and I bought a pack of onion parathas (those frozen, ready to eat ones) on a Friday, with great hopes of eating it on Saturday for dinner. Both of us didn't realize that these things have to be frozen ;) (namma levels ivalodhaan) . So we happily brought it on saturday to heat it in the oven and eat. There were 5 parathas, each with plastic coverings on both sides. We turned the pack to read the instructions.
'Heat for 5 mins' was all it said.
Good yaar, we thought, and opened the pack. The parathas in between the plastic coverings looked kinda melted. Ya they will be, we thought, realizing late that they have to be frozen and we didn't have a fridge. Never mind, just heat it for 5 mins.
We put the paratha with the plastic coverings (they should be microwave heat resistent, shouldn't they?) and set the time for 5 mins and left the pantry to go to the adjacent TV lounge. We were busy switching channels when we smelled a faint, burning smell.
Ah, can't be.
NO IT IS!!!!
We ran to the pantry only to find the oven smoking and coughing, and hurriedly switched it off. Opening the oven door(my hands were really shaking you know..) we saw the paratha black and karugified, with the *microwaveable* plastic covering melted and all over it. it took 20 minutes for this mess to cool and almost an hour for us to clean it. We had to scrape the nonsense out with spoons, forks and knives and the oven actually smelled of our burnt paratha for months after the episode.
As you might have guessed, I never tried making parathas again.
We managed to eat the remaining four parathas after almost an hour again.. cooking these required a lot of work, hunting around for a pan, scraping the parathas stuck to the plastic sheet, rolling them into a ball, flattening them, heating them etc. etc. etc.
Well, looking at all this I can confidently say I'm "cooking" much better now...I can make maggi properly in a pan(though it never gets cooked in 2 mins. all promotional gimmicks, man!!!), know what to and what not to keep in an oven, etc. Good, I'm pleased with myself! I'm in a much better position now than what I was before coming here: running away from the kitchen at home if amma is thalicchufying kadugu or doing a whole jazz dance when I had to seive maida(it's just me that shakes, not the seive), or taking one hour to cut those boiled potatoes to pieces.
But I'm sure many of you will agree, only people like me will become the best cooks later in life!
Vani V invites you all for dinner, will serve maggi and pickle. Game?

13 comments:

Sriram said...

Interesting. Certainly fun. My roomie managed to set my kitchen on fire. He left a "vaanali" (kadai) full of oil on the stove, promptly switched it on, and was watching the tv. I walk in and see the kadai on fire! this sure does remind me of it!

Krish said...

How about the title "Adventures in kitchen"....hilarious read though...

Chakra said...

Funny.

my roomie put his stainless steel tiffinbox in our office microwave and it went bust. he was angry that the company had bought an inferior microwave for the office kitchen. Well... I was about to heat my lunch after his turn... ;)

our apartment's fire alarm sounded out and i ran along with the ppl to safety only to realise later that the smoke was from our flat. Reason? i put the potatoes in the pan containing oil & kadugu. proper procedure only... but these fire alarms were so sensitive..

i agree with you wholeheartedly on one thing... only these kinda ppl become good cooks later on.

saranyan r said...

innum antha microwave uyiroda thaan irukka :)

hilarious read.

Kay said...

I can totally relate to what u r sayin but i am not game for your maggi and pickle.
"Vera aaala parumaa".

During the initial days of my cookin life i used to dismantle the fire alarm everytime i start cooking.

Vani Viswanathan said...

hmmm...
from what u guys have written, i can safely assume (i guess)that all of you are in the US!and what an amazing co incidence that no girl has commented on this post... whoa! more incentive for all to call me "not-so-girlish! pasanga maadhiriye samaikka theriyaliye!!" but sure, today eth is changing, so future-la maybe men will become better cooks!!ok, jus for fun ;) maybe u shd even consider this a compliment!!!
good thing, our univ here doesn't have fire alarms in the kitchen! i'm sure it'll be ringing forever coz somebody leaves sth to karugify!!
ya saranyan, oven seriyaa thaan irukku, in fact ippo antha theenja paratha smell kooda varala!!!
chakra sampath, u can take kay's clue abt dismantling the fire alarm so you don't have to unneccessarily run out and waste time... ;)
and jaganlee, really true! first sem la naan thaan naraiya perukku aabadh bandhavan(or ok, bandhavi, if such a word exists!!!)

Krish said...

Hello Vani:

I maintain the list of Indibloggers and had mentioned your blog as the "Blog of the Day" starting yesterday night and ending tonight US Eastern Time. But I could not convey this to you in time since from yesterday night when I mentioned your site, Blogger comments was not working on not only your site but for everyone who had a blog under Blogger. So, I wanted to let you know that I am going to keep yours for just another hour and then I will change the Blog of the Day to that of someone else. I enjoy reading your posts and in case you don't see this comment on time to view the mention in http://indibloggers.blogspot.com, here is what I wrote: "Blog of the Day:
This is a section that highlights one blog each day. Our blog of the day is the one by Vani Viswanathan. Vani is a Chennai girl who is now in Singapore as a student and blogs her first experiences outside of India in her own humorous way. She writes another blog too." I mentioned both this blog and in the "another blog" of yours, I mentioned the dumpingmyfeelings.blogspot.com blog.

Vani Viswanathan said...

hey thennavan!
thank you soo....... much!!!!
i went to your site, and really thanks..
i met a lot of my own univ. mates in your site!

Anu said...

oh..oh! there goes somebody high up the popularity chart!:)Great going sissy!!

Eroteme said...

You sure have a fun filled life. Maybe you should stay longer with Tutu and coax her into doing all the cooking for you!! A friend of mine doesn't want to get married but stay with her girl-friends because she won't be able to cook (and I beleive her after I saw her in the kitchen one day :-O )
Congrats on getting high on the charts!!!

Prabha said...

ha ha :)
Reminds me of my hostel life,when me and my friend once decided to make semiya uppuma and it ended up like a whole sticky mess..it was quite difficult pushing it down..
Now it all seems funny but at that time it was like "sodhanai mel sodanai podhumada saami" :(

wookie said...

LOL I love your Tamil phrases.like I already mentioned in your PDA post- cute & funny.

Neel said...

You write very well. I think many of us have had similar events with cooking when we haven't had much experience. Check out my blog for some hints on how to make things easier for you: http://neelsen.blogspot.com