A Day of Awesome Fun

, , 4 comments
5th Febraury, 2005. My first performance for NTU outside the campus. I was thrilled to go sing elsewhere, and that too for a noble cause, Tsunami Relief fund raising.
All dressed in "ethnic wear"(as Anto put it), we cabbed our way to the place where the event (we thought) would be held, only to realize we had come to the wrong place and went about searching the tiny streets and malls of Singapore before actually finding the actual venue.
I went in and had a peek at the place we were about to sing. Gosh, it was huge! I was excited. A nice, wide stage and a big room to seat hundreds of people. (How many actually were filled is a different matter...)
After all those setting up work was done, Vijetha and I peeped into the audience seats from behind the screens...God, there were just about 80 or 100 people filling up the seats randomly here and there.(I'm quite sure they were parents of all the students taking part in the event!)Never mind, we at least didn't have to sing to empty chairs.
So started the song. No fears, I was surprised, as I happily waded through the song with Vijetha.(I could have been a trifle bit louder though, putting the mike closer to me)With all our performances from NTU's Sruthilaya over, we went on to fill the seats and watch the others perform. And boy, what a show it was....There was absolutely no touch of the show being performed for a fund raising for relief for a tsunami....All loud and jarring noises and dances, and I was thinking why we chose to perform subtle songs and keep it low. I would fairly conclude that ours was just the one performance that was meant for a dignified crowd. (How the crowd was, is another issue...)
The ten minute interval made us happy as it brought us closer to food. Some packets were being given away and hungrily, we took them and settled down to eat them. And oh dear, the food...It was some plain sevai to be mixed and eaten with coconut and some orange powder, which none of us understood what it should be used for.And after struggling to push at least some of it inside, we escaped out to enjoy some good food. Off to Serangoon, and there we ate some amazing tandoori food, leaving our plates clean. Oh man, what a striking difference it was to the food we had eaten just an hour back!
And one of the funniest experiences there was the "Chennai vs. Bangalore" fight. I was really stumped to know there was actually another person in NTU as mad about Chennai as I am! I listened on, giving inputs at times as Vijetha and Vikram were getting into a really heated argument, and Sreejith and me enjoying the good show. And after some random shopping and looking around in Mustafa, we were ready to leave.
As we cabbed back to NTU, I was thinking of all the fun I'd had this day....Being the first such, I'm eagerly waiting for more such days!

4 comments:

Twin-Gemini said...

It's a pretty nice thing to conduct cultural activities to raise funds for a good cause. So which song was it that you both sung?

And, I see that you blog just to vent out your feelings and not really to make any friends...I have not seen any replies to my earlier comments :-)

That brings me to another point, I have blogrolled you; if you are not ok with that, please let me know.

Vani Viswanathan said...

Hey..
Had visited your blog, saw some which you had blogrolled, and left a comment in "capriciously me"'s blog also..but got carried away by all the websites and comments i was seeing from your blog...
Thanks anyway, for all the comments...so I sang Vaseegara from Minnale the other day in the function. Great to know that you are also an A.R.Rahman fan, let's have a hi 5!!!!
Yep, no problems, in fact thanks for blogrolling me!

Twin-Gemini said...

Thats a pretty nice song.

A.R.Rahman is the God! *with a hi-5*

So, you have learnt music the classical way or do you like more of the cinematic version of it?

Vani Viswanathan said...

hi..
i learnt music the classical way for a long time, but even then, there are very few singers whom i admire and enjoy; i don't know why! in contrast i enjoy film music much more, probably coz i'm able to identify the nuances et al. more in these...well, most of my relatives think i have absolutely no interest in carnatic music because it takes a lot of persuasion to make me listen to or sing classical music, but hey no... i just need that nice mood and that amazing(for me,not just others!) singer!!!