The mania

, , 7 comments
Huh? You don't listen to Metallica?
I shake my head.
So what at all is the english music you listen to?
I tell them BSB, MJ.
They sigh.
I don't know why we have such kids here, they say.
Well, what's wrong, I think.
And why this obsession for english music?
You know what, my friend says, once you've left India for studying, there are some things in you that you got to change. You have come to a place that is increasingly becoming American, and it's best you change too. And in a place like this where you've got so many international students, you have to listen to such things to maintain your image and make friends.
Why??
Why do I have to give up my essential qualities just because I'm no longer in India?
And this obsession for high profile english music...my god, it gets on my nerves (ha! you could make an entire list running for pages, about things that get on my nerves!) Why should I 'have to' listen to english music? Yes, I do accept that there are some things you have to do when you've left home. But surely that doesn't require that I've to give up being me.
I'm personally a person who prefers Indian music. We are no less than anyone. Of course, I do listen to english music because I know there is good music there too. But I hate it if there are people who tell me this is kiddish, that 'sucks', this rocks, etc. Who are they to decide what I listen to? What I've written in the beginning of this blog is something that happened during our 'orientation' in college. I was shocked and dismayed by the way people so easily dismiss another's interest and place their's as superior.
I for one, beleive that you should know about your country and culture before you start appreciating another. True, every culture has something in it that has to be enjoyed. But it's a sad thing to know that some others appreciate aspects of my culture that I myself don't know. I'm ashamed to admit that speaking all this, I don't know so many things Indian culture speaks about, but I'll make sure I know them, and don't have to face the embarassment of some non-Indian talking about yoga to me.
Ugh, this is such a disorganized outpouring of thoughts...I've wandered from one theme to another...but well, this is what I think!

7 comments:

Sriram said...

Appreciate ur thoughts buddy!
ppl in bangalore spend 2000 bucks on a sting's rock show but dont bother to go to a free for all carnatic concert...thats the plight!!!

Anu said...

True ya..some people can't really take in "Indianness". Its considered hep business to listen to the likes of metallica and others. Am not saying they are bad, music has no boundaries and people have the right to enjoy what they want..but, I hate those idiots, who pretend to know everything abt something, which they are actually not familiar with...to hell with pretenders and showmakers!

saranyan r said...

well in school environment it is understandable. new people, diverse thoughts :-)
As Jagan said, no one persuades here. all of us love Ilayaraja, many started this culture after coming here. Maybe being so far from home have made us take some comfort from the maestro's music.

hUmDiNgEr said...

is it only with ppl living abroad??? nope...there are such ppl here..atleast I have seen such ppl here in Bangalore..
I am an ardent lover of Maestro Ilayarajas' music. I hear these ppl saying "you need to have "taste" to listen to english musci"...muuuaaaaahhh...I hate it whenever someone says..."what I think is right"...

I think its a problem of false -self identification...

Vani Viswanathan said...

ya ya..
ellam show-off thaan!
its just that the people should know they got to keep their opinions to themselves and not try to push them on to others...
it's a pity i'm in singapore, a place which hates its own music, and prefers western music.

Chakra said...

Its a pity that ppl fall for Western music & culture just for the heck of it.. ie., without any actual interest or anything.

Naattamai said...

Well it is after all ur taste. I had so many friends back home who would only listen to English music talk about arsenal and man utd. Me and my other friend will immediately interrupt their conversation by talking about the gulli thanda match between dumeen kuppam and ayodhya kuppam. Those were fun days during UG. Actually it is pretty interesting that my close friend and my apartment mate who is african american got hooked up with Deva's gana songs from my collections. He can hum most of them and i managed to teach him the lyrics of the classic "Anna nagar andalu"
Also you will be surprised at the number of americans(read whites) who are interested in the carnatic music. So tell your know all english music friends that life has many different shades of grey.

Naattamaiyin Theerpu (for your friends): Enn vazhi thani vazhi. Mathathey.