The ignominy of wearing glasses

, , 7 comments
Well, maybe ignominy is too powerful a word to describe how one feels when wearing glasses, but it just describes how I felt when I knew I had to wear one.
It all started with a trip to Ehrlich's in Chennai before coming here, for a complete medical check up. I stared with disbelief and anger as I struggled to read those black, huge letters on the white board. I CAN'T BE SHORT SIGHTED!!!! Sadly, that was the fact and the doctor was surprised as he asked me how I'd not realised all this while that I had a problem.
Mom offered an explanation. Frequent complaints of my headaches were ignored as we thought they were due to the highly 'strenuous' (!!) work of 12 std. And I didn't really bother when I couldn't read what that teacher with the tiny handwriting had written on the board. So the thing finally came into light in June, way after I had given all my life-deciding exams.
So followed the sad processes of choosing the lens and frame. Though I tried to convince myself that people who wore glasses looked smart(I know very, I mean, very few look good!) I was depressed. All this while I had prided myself on the fact that I was the only member at home not wearing glasses. I had to give up this status now! :'(
So finally I chose a black square shaped frame. It was Chennai's in-thing then. Wow! Didn't those black frames look cool and hot! Boy, I was so impressed and ordered them.
Back home, I proudly enter with my glasses and my sis starts rolling with peals of laughter, much to my dismay. Gone! Now I hated my glasses even more, and my ideas of looking hep with those were lost.
Now here, I remember that I have to wear glasses only when I go to the lecture theatres and realize I can't see the powerpoint slides properly. That black (curse) sleeps patiently in the case and rejoices when I wear it once in a while. I find it so odd to look at the world through something else, not my own eyes....I was really determined to switch over to contact lenses this vacation, but I doubt if I'll be patient enough to remove it delicately, dip in a thousand odd solutions and wear it. And I can't sleep in classes with peace if I'm wearing lenses! I'm reminded of my friend who lost one of her lenses when she dozed off in the lecture! ; )
Well, wearing glasses is ultimately such a problem, man...some people here make fashion statements with their glasses. One girl in my lecture has pink frames, which remind me of the toy cooling glasses that the balloon seller sells on the streets! Boy, they are horrible!!!!
But cannot help la!Singlish style... :p God made a mistake with my eyes...at least it's not worse!!!!

7 comments:

hUmDiNgEr said...

hmmm...I can understand your feelings because I too wear glasses. There is no way you can cure it by the main stream medicine. So, it is a necessaryb devil.
There are some Yoga techniques through which the power can be reduced...btu O dont think peeple like us can practise those techniques.

Anu said...

Gee........i remember how u looked when i saw u with glasses for the first time..but you know, sometimes glasses become so much a part of you that you dont feel like isolating it from what you are...and I hope u are not planning to venture into wearing fluro looking spectacles....I would disown u then...;))..btw, are u proposing to place a request for contacts when u r back this vacation??

Vani Viswanathan said...

yup surya,
don't really think i'll take that much trouble to actually do yoga and reduce my power, lemme jus go on wid them! lol..
anu, we'll see about contacts when i get back home this vacation....

REFLEX said...

Sometimes and for some people wearing glasses will give a studious look. How abt u ?.
Just check the below mentione dURL if u have interest and time.

http://sriaurobindoashram.info/departments/SFPE/school_for_perfect_eyesight.htm

My friend undergone this treatment and he has some power ( power denotes defect ) in his eyes and he is not using glasses for the past 10 yrs.

reNUka said...

i have always fancied wearing one, but touch wood i havent had the chance to - my friend who wears glasses or contacts says its really irritating to wear them - especially whn at the beach where the moisture content is quite high - a film of vapour tends to settle on them!! hmm...

The Last Blogger said...

I used to wear glasses for a long time, shifted to lens for a few years and then finally got my Lasik done in 98. Not much complaints although given past history, I might get to glasses soon I think.

Best part of not wearing glasses is the ability to wear nice shades and also go swimming with abandon :)

Anonymous said...

Hai guys ,

I just happened to see your comments.I am short sighted and planning to go for lasik.I read ur comments that some of yo are back to wearing specs after a few years after lasik ? why? can u please write to me.
Thanx
Rama_anj62@indo.net.id