A Tall Mug of woes

, , 13 comments
I can still feel the cheese and chocolate in my mouth. (Fine, maybe it's an exaggeration, but, by jove, I don't want that taste to linger any longer!)
It all started with this $10 gift voucher I got from Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf here. You could say it's a more posh version of namma CoffeeDay. And it was expiring on 28 Febraury. So I decided it was high time the voucher left it's place on the soft pin board where I'd put it up so that I could see it everytime I go out and therefore use it(though this idea has never worked) and put it in my bag and set out.
Two of us there, two vouchers.
One for the 'Brew of the Day' and the other a $10 voucher to buy anything with. So my friend took the brew of the day black coffee and I ordered a slice of cheese cake (that's $4.90, man!!!) and a mug of hot chocolate. The two things I'd ordered were below the $10 limit, so the lady at the cash counter graciously asked if I'd take a cookie. I had one look at the cookie. It was the size of our kalyana murukku and I was sure I'd be in bed if I ate it.
No, thanks.
How about "up-ping" (read increasing) the size of your hot chocolate?
Oh sure, why not.
I'd taken regular and now she offered medium.
No problems.
I realized the problem only when the tall mug came.
The cheese cake and coffee were no better.
My friend had a piece of cheese cake and asked me to have one too.
Oh boy!
Maybe it's because I don't like cheese all that much, but even then, the cheese cake wasn't as good as it looked on the display. I made a face and didn't touch it after I'd had that one piece. My friend did all to make me eat more, so I took one more, but stopped again. It was bad!
Yeah, now back to my frothing hot chocolate. It looked delicious. What a tall and beautiful mug!! It looked elegant and I was eager to drink it. I carefully pushed away the foam (I don't like it) and started drinking it. It was quite good!And I happily kept sipping for what seemed to be about 15 minutes and I put the glass down. Surprisingly, it was still heavy and my hands were aching holding it. I looked at the glass.
HORRORS!!!
Not even a quarter of the glass was over!!!!!
This was when the "ugh" feeling started coming over me. I stared helplessly at my friend, and then I started laughing.
She was struggling too.
"The coffee's too bitter.." she said.
Of course, it's black coffee, I said.
Why don't you put some sugar from there.
Two packets of Sweetex and no change, she said.
We both laughed at the irony.
Cheese cake and sweetex, low calorie sweetener.
Hahaha...
So we lingered on in CoffeeBean and Tea Leaf for another 15 minutes, trying to be decent and finish at least half of what we'd bought. No, it was a difficult job!
Finally we decided to call it quits. No, said my friend, we'll give it a last try.
We both held our breath and sipped as much of our respective drinks as we could and put it down, panting.
YAY!!!!!!!!
Half of it was over!!!!!
This was the limit. We quickly and quietly left the place, all ordered things unfinished.
I was thinking if I'd ever have done that if I had bought all this stuff with my money. And then I realized I was quite capable of doing it even then.
Because eating all this stuff is just not being me.
Whether it's Chennai's Quicky's or Singapore's CoffeeBean and Tea Leaf, I doubt if I would be able to eat all this stuff to the fullest.
Sometimes I try to come out of my realms of rasam, thayir and verum saadam and eat other stuff. Sadly, whenever I've tried all this, most of it's been an utter failure. I convince myself saying I got lot of time left, and that I'll surely learn someday. One perfect example is one of the campus canteen's vegetarian stall. The first time I bought some vegetarian thing looking like dal (it's not an Indian stall, it's Chinese vegetarian) and had to throw the entire thing because I couldn't eat more than two spoons of it. But I'm able to eat it now and do eat it often when I don't have the time to go to the Indian stalls.
Maybe according to my friends, I'm slow at experimenting new stuff, but I don't care.
Wait for a post quite soon about how I finished a tall mug of hot chocolate, enjoying every drop!

13 comments:

Anu said...

hey hey...thats damn nice to read...i can see how u muzhichufied..:))..thevayaa unakku??

Vani Viswanathan said...

hey freeya oru $10 coupon kuduthaa chumma vitudrathaa? besides all those cakes had always looked delicious!be thankful i experimented and hated them with the gift voucher and not my own money!!! ;)

reNUka said...

good read!!! and manoj, thts good logic!!!

Sriram said...

Ha ha ha...that cheese cake thing...thats not at all good. I had a similar experience here but i paid 25 bucks. And yeah, i left it half-finished.

You should have chosen something like Black-forest.Some of the pastries are really yum...so keep trying... :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

renuka, i agree, manoj's logic might actually work!
btw, manoj, i'm not able to access your blog, it says, requested url not found..y?
n sriram, blackforest cake looked tempting too, but it was going way beyond the $10 budget!!!!

hUmDiNgEr said...

hahahaha....nice one...

I dont know but I think you shd have that separate taste to like those pastries and cakes. or you develop taste for them by eating every now and then.

For me a cake just something that looks good... ;))

Chakra said...

manoj's logic wd defnly work.. i hav faced the same situation before with that damn jacket potatoes..

Vani Viswanathan said...

hi sat..
umm...may i know ur full name? and are u a pg or doing ur graduation? and ya, u've got no clue how freaked i am that the break is ending, and esp at a time when i've not done any of the recess assignments!!!
goodluck!!

Vani Viswanathan said...

ohhh...manoj doesn't have a blog... :D i dinno that!
yeah, i'll surely start enjoying pastries soon....but i don't have bakeries on campus :(

Harish said...

And this is why you must learn to say "I'm in a bit of a hurry. Can I have this to go please?" without the slightest hint of reddening cheeks! :)

saranyan r said...

be happy that you atleast have some Indian stall in ur campus :) we didn't have that luxury :)

I like cheesecakes, but yeah, depends who makes it :) I always stick to just coffee whenever I go to a coffee shop :)

Vani Viswanathan said...

ha ha..sat,
thanx for the clarification...
btw, if i'm right, u r rajashree's friend, right? rj and i stay in the same block!
nice meeting u here!!!! :)
sure, we'll meet on campus sometime!!!

Anonymous said...

I have it's cool too.